*New* 03 March 2015 - Firmware Update 1.20 for A7, A7r, A7s, A7ii, A6000 cameras

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by tomO2013, Mar 26, 2015.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    For a7, features of the new firmware are below.

I like "improves image quality" because who doesn't need that lol.

Given that I have the 70-200 and 28/2 now, I guess I need to update.

Also claims to reduce startup time

This utility updates the ILCE-7 camera firmware to version 1.20 and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over version 1.10:

• Improves camera function and provides picture improvement for the new lenses (SEL35F14Z, SEL24240, SEL28F20, SEL90M28G)
    Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version 1.20:

• Improves the power-on time after downloading the Smart Remote Control application of the PlayMemories Camera Apps™.
    • Provides support for the SEL70200G lens:
      - Supports the "Fast Hybrid AF" function and future Fast Hybrid AF compatible E mount lenses
      - Adds the "Focus hold button" function
    • Reduces start-up time:
      - The start-up time has been reduced in cases when the camera is switched on immediately after being switched off
    • Improves image quality
    • Provides support for additional PlayMemories Camera Apps and additional features for previously supported apps:
      - Supports the "Liveview Grading" and "Smooth Reflection" applications
      - Supports the smooth automatic exposure feature in the "Time-lapse" application ver. 2.00 and later

3. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    I tried four times to update my A7II with no luck..... ;-( It screen goes dark
    and when I choose reset in the computer, after a minute, it says that the camera
    is not ready. I also lost my "safe to disconnect" icon on the windows tray.

Each time I had to use task manager to get out of the program & I also had to
    pull the battery from the camera due to the system light running.......

4. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I updated my A7. Went without a hitch on my Mac running 10.10.2. But it did take about 10 minutes to finish the process. My guess is that the firmware is doing more (bug fixes?) than just the items on the list. Haven't had the chance to go out and shoot anything to see if I can detect anything different. But all seems fine.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Just updated, it took a while.

One line in the update simply says, "Improves Image Quailty.". I wonder what that vauge statement means.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Well, my image quality is much improved since the update :p

• Like Like x 1
  8. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I can confirm that the start up time has improved...especially regarding both the SELP1650 & SELP18105G.
    The PZ on both of these lenses always seemed to be a tiny bit "slower" to start up, but with Version 1.20, the lag is no longer detected.

9. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Sarcasm?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yves Gajardo

Yves Gajardo TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    updated my A7ii. I think the startup time is faster but I can't really tell. Also can't tell if IBIS is improved either. Maybe I should do some tests. :laugh1:

11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I just popped the battery in and out on my A7 to see if the initial startup was any faster. Maybe... by about a half a second or so. But it still takes waaaaaaay too long for a cold startup. :sleep:

12. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Just to test mine with the SELP18105G attached...it took about 2-3sec to start up from a cold boot after the battery was taken out and reinserted.
    It starts up immediately...maybe less than a second from a warm boot.

13. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    I only have the newer lenses -- FE28/2 and FE70-200. Both are less than a second warm, and less than 2 seconds after battery removal. Maybe there are hardware variations in the camera? Different parts or parts suppliers?

14. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    You guys must be living right. I just checked my 70-200, 16-35 and 55, and when the battery has been removed, it takes ~7 secs. from flipping the ON/OFF switch to when the camera is completely ready to shoot (Using my calibrated one-one thousand, two-one thousand,... clock :D). Both the camera and lenses are updated to the latest firmware.

15. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Just tested on my SEL35F18 and got the same results as before with the SELP18105G.
    I thought that it would have faster start up results since it doesn't have power zoom, but I guess I was wrong.
    I'm not complain or anything ;)