Never knew this forum existed and ...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by rcksil, Mar 5, 2013.

1. rcksil

rcksil TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 5, 2013
    Long Beach CA
    Rick
    Well in searching the web I came across this forum. I purchased the 5N when it came out and only played with it a little but enjoyed it. Picked up the Sony 16 and the 30 macro lens for it and liked it more. Got busy at work and put it down. Picked up the Nex6 just because and took it out this weekend and really liked it. Used it more than my A77.
    OK enough of that, now for my question, I see that a few users of the NEX use off brand lenses. What adapters do you use? I have an assortment of Sony lenses for my A77 and would hate to spend a lot of money for NEX only lenses.

Thanks
    Rick

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hi Rick, welcome to the forum. :)

Adapters run the gamut from the Sony LA-EA1 or 2 to the Chinese adapters available on ebay or Amazon. It all depends on how much functionality you want/need.

Just about everyone here using legacy lenss has at least one Chinese adapter in use with very few complaints.

3. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I have a number of A-mount lenses that I use on my NEX-6. Most are Minolta Maxxum lenses that I bought years ago for my film cameras, long before Sony bought the camera division of Minolta, but I do have one A-mount lens with a Sony label - the 35mm f:1.8. I use those lenses with the Sony LA-EA2 adapter, because it has had much better comments on the net than the LA-EA1 adapter.

For all of my manual focus lenses I have Chinese-made adapters that generally seem to be acceptable. With one exception, the adapters I have are sold here by Rainbow Imaging - and probably by other retailers with a different label. FWIW, Rainbow sells from their own web site and also through Amazon.

- Tom -

4. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    My legacy adapters are all Rainbow Imaging, I have no complaints with any of them.

5. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    I have a Rainbow Imaging adapter and a FotoDiox adapter. They're both cheap, but I've got no complaints.

You may want to look into the MetaBones Speedbooster, it opens up a lot of options.

6. rcksil

rcksil TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 5, 2013
    Long Beach CA
    Rick
    Thanks for all this info. I ordered the Nex/Alpha Sony adapter and ordered the Nex/Nikon adapter from Rainbow. Now the wait. A local camera shop here in Long Beach has some good used Lieca and Voitlander lenses(not sure of spelling) now I could get these too.

Rick

7. Nagenk

Nagenk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 16, 2013
    I use rainbow imaging adapters for minolta MD mount and pentax K mount, both have no issues...

8. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    You are talking about Tuttle Camera?

Personally, I would hold off buying any relatively expensive lenses until you have lived with the NEX for a while and see how comfortable you are with manual focusing. The odds are that you will not have any problems with doing it, but since you will be able to try out the process with your Nikon lens, you can avoid the risk completely by using it for a while before you spring for Leica lenses.

- Tom -

9. rcksil

rcksil TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 5, 2013
    Long Beach CA
    Rick
    Yes it is Tuttle. The hard part is going to be which lens to get for it next. All this in due time. Rainbow shipped my adapters yesterday, the 6th, and now for the wait.

Rick

10. Jarola

Jarola TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 10, 2013
    Tampa
    Jarek Karaban
    Are there any Sony LA-EA2 knockoffs available? The sony is pretty expensive.