Need to share the excitement...tomorrow I get my A7ii !!!!!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by shaolin95, Jun 9, 2015.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Finally after going through some VERY rough spots in my life, things have been taking a turn on the positive side, personally, economically and work related. So finally, I decided to pull the trigger on the A7ii with Kit len (may not keep the lens..we shall see).
    I will be comparing it to my NEX-6 with speed booster to make sure it is a good improvement proportional to how much it costs!
    If not, I will just sell it back and keep waiting until something like a A7S with 16MP and IBS comes up. :D

Anyways, just counting the minutes now. Told UPS to hold at their office so I can pick it up early morning instead of the agony of waiting.
    Any recommendations?

• Like Like x 9
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Congrats... on all things good!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    You will love it. It's worth it for the ibis alone. I barely use my a7r anymore and actually find it almost annoying to shoot with now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Congrats! I'm also on the fence on plunging for a a7ii. My a6000 isn't out of warranty yet! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Yes I cant wait to try my Canon FD lenses, like the 400mm one to see how low I can go on the shutter speed handheld :D
    Thanks!
    Thanks! :)
    I fought temptations to get the 6000 then the A7 but finally gave up on the A7ii. lol

6. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I used my 300mm f4 at 1/30 hand held.

• Like Like x 3
  7. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    wow that is beyond awesome! :)

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Glad things are working out.

Enjoy the gear.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Glad to hear things are going better :)

I myself thinking going from the Nex-6 to an A7-II (when financially capable - I'm actually waiting for a price drop maybe when a new FF model is introduced) so your impressions would be very interesting to me :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I will be posting LOTS of impressions and comparison images (not very scientifically done but maybe it will help). :)

I need to sleep so hours go faster. :D

Thanks guys!

• Like Like x 1
  11. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I got mine yesterday and I was shocked by the weight difference between it and the A7R! It made the A7R feel like an a6000!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    That's, great --Good to hear! I know you have been thinking about upgrading for a while. :2thumbs: Hope you really enjoy it!

I would really like to hear your impressions, especially coming from a NEX-6 and as a heavy adapted lens user.

I have played with a friends A7ii on several occasions and loved the IBIS (great for nailing focus with the magnified zoom view), easier focusing with the BIG central viewfinder (turns out I am left-eye dominant and my nose is always smashed up against the LCD screen on the NEX6), with all of the custom buttons (which are much more tactile too) I could really set it up for my needs, build quality is really nice and super solid (I was not a fan of the a6000 for that reason), speaking of solid all my different adapters for MF lenses just fit better on the a7ii, and the focal lengths of all that adapted glass finally felt right at home and less awkward without the crop factor, ISO noise was a nice improvement (always bugs me on the NEX-6 --even at low ISOs).

The only letdowns for me were that the improved grip wasn't as great for my long-fingered hands as it was cracked up to be, and that the front control dial isn't very tactile and I accidentally turned the camera off a couple of times hunting around for it [I think I could get used to it, though]. Balance/handling with a FE28 felt great, but very nose-heavy with the 24-240. The Sony battery grip made the camera much more comfortable with the hefty 24-240 on there.

Cheers!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks!
    Well the A7ii just made me love photography even more now...just a whole new level of passion and commitment to this art for me now. :)
    IBS on Canon FD lenses is just sooooo sweet to witness. Low light is about a stop better than the NEX-6 but if you get a Lens Turbo 2 or similar then you get that stop back and noise wise it becomes closer. But of course there is DR, extra Res, for me better performance from legacy lenses etc.
    I cannot recommend it enough. The only button I had issues with at the beginning was the exposure one for some reason. Kept moving the dial by accident.
    Other than that, at this price range I couldnt be any happier so if you have the chance (and I not saying it because I got one for sale LOL), get one. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I'm anxious to try my legacies (maybe tomorrow) with the IBIS. I've got a Nikon 20mm and a Canon 15mm ready to go. I am also anxious to try my Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED-IF... AND my Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 maybe with a TC onboard.

15. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I'm very concerned about your well being and don't want you to be disappointed trying all those lenses...so rather than risk disappointment with the Canon 15mm, I'll send you a private message with my mailing address. No, no...there's no need to thank me...its the least I can do for a fellow member.

16. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Haha Bill! Very funny guy! :) I really like that Canon 15, but it is the least likely to need the IBIS.

17. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I've shot my 300fd f4 handheld at 1/30, that 2.8 has got to be a bruiser

18. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Kevin, I was going to ask you which 300mm f/4 you had. Mine is the fresnel element lens (I don't recognize that "fd" suffix).

19. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Canon FD, it's large but not as big as my tokina ATX 150-500 5.6

Sorry, is the FD supposed to go before the length?

20. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Ahh, excuse me. I was assuming Nikkor lenses. My mistake.