1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Need some help identifying this bird...

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Mar 26, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Need some help identifying this beautiful bird.
    I have had a few coming to the backyard feeders this spring here in North Carolina (US) and cannot for the life of me find out what it is.
    Looking at my hard copy Audubon book and/or the online Audubon website…they look the most like some in the “Vireo” family, but I can’t find a match.
    Really a sharp looking bird with a lot more yellow showing / flashing when flying about…if anybody knows the name of the bird, I’d appropriate the help.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    No idea on bird species, hopefully someone can aid you.

3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
  4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks for that...and to be honest, it doesn't surprise me.
    Last night while browsing the online pictures & write-ups, I paused on Pine Siskin but finally talked myself out of it because the double white wing bars on my birds were so pronounced compared to file photos I looked at.
    But another set of eyes & gray matter is good...and I'm tired of searching, LOL.
    So Pine Siskin it is and they are a very sharp looking bird IMO...glad I have several coming and going all day out back.
    Thanks for the reply & links...

5. G.Webb

G.Webb TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 22, 2013
    Phoenix, Az.
    Looks like a Yellow Rumped Warbler. Either a Myrtle or Audubon's Warbler.
    I believe....

6. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
  7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Interesting...and searching Google Images for Yellow Rumped Warbler, there seem to be a lot of variations among them.
    But digging further...this is the bird in my photos above for sure: Myrtle Warbler

http://www.migrationresearch.org/images/idmywahym14824bodymag3oct10.jpg

Thanks for everybody pitching in to help narrow this down and pin it !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FYI, I experimented with a different setup on the NEX-7 shooting those yesterday.
    It was overcast and dreary yesterday so I decided to try ISO1600.
    Used a Canon FD 300/4.0L @ 8.0, on a monopod shooting out through the open kitchen window.
    The little birds were about 30 feet away.

Then, opening them in Microsoft Office, I just clicked "auto correct" to brighten them up a bit.
    Not pristine, but struggling up the learning curve I was pleased with the results.

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    For what it's worth, watching these Myrtle Warblers every time I step to the kitchen window, I've noticed that they can hover very similar to a hummingbird. They don't have the wing speed of a hummer, and don't 'dart'...seemingly effortlessly like a hummer.

But one will come in to a dead tree trunk I have holes bored into filled with peanut butter, and pull up as if waiting for other birds to move so it can get in to a parking spot...and remain stationary for 4-5 seconds before changing location...and the whole time some bright yellow patches are 'blinking' rapidly from the wing beats.

If it EVER warms up here where I can sit out for a couple hours, I'll try to get a little video of it...need the video practice anyway.