1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

need help identifying this lens, i know its Cannon but...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nex6newuser, Apr 26, 2013.

1. nex6newuser

nex6newuser TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 11, 2013
    I got this lens from a co worker that has a cannon camera, she an older lady and doesn't know what it is. She knew I am into photography and so she asked me if i want it but i have a non cannon cam so i can't use it but i remembered that i saw in this forum that it can adapt other lens so here i am asking what this lens is and what adapter i can use for it.

Thanks for your help...

Attached Files:

2. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    With the EF on the bottom, and you saying it's for a Canon, I would guess it is indeed an EF (EOS) mount.

Never heard of Phoenix, and odd that it has a Vivitar Series I lens cap.

Prolly not very good, and adapting EF lenses is expensive. I wouldn't bother.

3. nex6newuser

Apr 11, 2013
    yeah I'm not really sure what brand it is for but she said she has a cannon SLR so i would think that it is. Anyways i just thought that i could score something good but i guess not. Thanks for your helps guys.

I have a different Q, i just bought a Rainbow Imaging brand of alpha to nex adpater to use with my existing alpha lenses and i can't seem to get good pictures, it's either too dark or too over exposed when i take pictures. I can't control aperture bec it's manual. But is there something i'm missing? I don't know if there are configurations i need to check and change. Just like my username says i'm new to nex so pardon me if i don't know what i'm talking about also.

Thanks again.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Do your alpha lenses have aperture rings? If not, you'll need an adapter that allows you to change apertures with the adapter. I believe Rainbow Imaging makes one. How to tell of you have the correct adapter? There will be a slide switch marked "Lock <----> Open" which engages the aperture lever on the lens. You will only get limited aperture function though.

If you want your lenses to AF you need to get one of the Sony LA-EA adapters.

5. nex6newuser

Apr 11, 2013
    I do have that ring with open and lock, but I think I know now why I can't open the aperture, it's because that lever is not too long to trigger the opening of the aperture. I will return it and ask for a replacement that works.

Thanks for pointing that out.

E