Need advice: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Mellow, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Mellow

Mellow TalkEmount Regular

Aug 18, 2013
    Florida or Wyoming
    Tom
    I've basically decided I'm going to get this lens, and have been actively shopping around. A couple of questions about value, especially if I eventually decide to sell it:

1) Lens comes in two mounts: M-mount bayonet and LTM. Is there any reason not to go with the cheaper LTM? I know the LTM can be adapted to M-mount.

2) Some offerings include the viewfinder, which of course I won't need with my NEX body. But given that a new VF costs $170 and only rarely appears on the used market, am I better off purchasing a lens + viewfinder if I ever want to sell it? It seems like the VF adds an extra $50 to the purchase price, but more importantly--would I be severely limiting potential buyers by offering a lens without VF?

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Great lens in either form. :)

If you want to use filters get the M mount. If you want the smallest package get the LTM version. Either will work on the NEX.

Viewfinder? Depends on who you're trying to sell it to. Digital users won't care, film users will. Toss up, so flip a coin. ;)

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    Philadelphia, Pa
    I have the M version and it's a very good lens on my 6's. The finder is only good for full frame cameras so I wouldn't let that have any bearing on choice. I would say get the M version.

4. Mellow

Mellow TalkEmount Regular

Aug 18, 2013
    Florida or Wyoming
    Tom
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'll keep an eye out for both, but especially the M version, viewfinder or not.

5. Sandokan

Sandokan New to TalkEmount

May 5, 2013
    Switzerland
    Ravi
    The main difference between the M and LTM version of the Voigtländer lens is that the LTM is not rangefinder coupled so Leica users have to guess the distance and set manually. You do not need a viewfinder with the Nex - wysiwyg :).

6. CGrimm

CGrimm New to TalkEmount

Sep 2, 2013
    The LTM version will focus 20 centimetres closer. Of course, that can be remedied with extension tubes if you select the M version.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum. And I did not know that. :)

8. Bangash

Bangash New to TalkEmount

Sep 5, 2013
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    B.K. Bangash
    Hi there, just bought Sony Nex6 wanted to use Leica M lens and ended having message "do not recognize lens" pls help

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Did you turn on the "release without lens" option under setup?