need advice on adapted lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nex6newuser, Apr 11, 2013.

1. nex6newuser

nex6newuser TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 11, 2013
    I am new to the NEX world or should i say mirrorless cameras and i recently bought a NEX6 kit, i really love it and i need to learn more about them. i want to expand my lenses but i don't know which to get- Sony lens are expensive and limited, so ai joined this forum to get some help. I do not know anything about other lenses and/or how they attach to the cam- if they need adapter and what adapter would it be. So my main focus or subject is my daughters, so i would really need a very fast lens, i wanna be able to have minimum focus distance of atleast a foot. Can you please recommend what you use and maybe where i can get them cheap?

Thank you much for your responses.

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that almost any fast (maximum aperture of f:1.7 or less) 50mm legacy lens will fit for portrait work of your daughters. To be able focus less than 30 cm means generally a macro/close focus lenses and fast macro lenses are expensive. With 50 mm objective (short tele with nex) 30 cm closest focusing distance magnification is about .25. That means 10 cm *7 cm object will fill whole sensor. 50 cm gives magnification of .125 and is more reasonable for people. You will probably take photos from 1m and over most of times.

You need adapter (look ebay) for legacy lenses. They don't have autofocus or automatic aperture. Best sources depends about where you live. Camera stores selling used stuff are pretty good place to start as they don't generally sell junk (and are occasionally very reasonable, I just ordered a Tamron SP 300mm/5.6 for 55 euros). Ebay is generally expensive but sometimes you can get a ok deal.

3. nex6newuser

Apr 11, 2013
    Thanks for your response. I am not really good yet with non auto focus lenses, are all legacy or non standard lenses that needs adapter are non auto focus ones?

Thanks.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    There are a few adapters that can adapt AF of a different mount to the E-Mount, but they are a bit pricey and reports are that the AF is a bit slow. Manual Focus is great, but not for everyone. It does open up a whole wide world of adaptable lenses beyond the E-Mount.

If you are going to stick with AF, you might want to consider the 19mm and 30mm Sigmas. Both can be had for $99-129.00.

Sigma Lens: Primes - Sigma 19mm f/2.8 EX DN (Tested) - SLRgear.com!
    Sigma Lens: Primes - Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

A few shots from my 19mm.

DSC02103.JPG

In the failing light:
    DSC02074.JPG

5. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Manual focus is actually very intuitive. On a NEX-camera it is also extra easy and fast because of the level peaking function. As you are aware, it will highlight the in-focus areas with a contrasting colour.

The advantage of using manual focus lenses is that you can buy high grade lenses at really low prices.

I agree with xXx1 that you should should try a manual 50mm f/1.7 lens and see how you like it. Such a lens will make it possible to take sharp portraits with blurry backgrounds and it will also let you take good activity photos, ie. use fast shutter speeds or deep focus planes.

Personally, I have a soft spot for the manual Minolta lenses that are often marked "MD", "MC" and "Rokkor". They have excellent optical properties and have special coatings that will give warm, yet realistic colours. (Maybe it sounds a bit like magic, but it is a fact, look it up ;).

Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7 is a very common lens and therefore cheap. But is top-notch in terms of build quality and image quality.

One more thing, if you use adapted autofcus lenses on the NEX, you will likely find that the autofocus is too slow to be useful.

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Minolta objectives are pretty good but I think more expensive than Canon FD so if price is very important it is worth looking those.

I am personally interested in 3 Minolta lenses. 50mm/3.5 macro, 35-70mm/3.5 zoom and 70-210mm/4 zoom. The last one is of pure curiosity as I have Vivitar series 1 70-210/3.5 and Tokina 70-210/4.5. 35-70mm/3.5 is one of the best legacy shot zooms and all 50mm/3.5 macros are pretty good (definitely good enough for me). With last one I may settle for a Canon FD if a suitable one comes along.

7. nex6newuser

Apr 11, 2013
    Thanks guys. This forum is friendly not some other forum that they bash on you for asking. Anyways one other reason i wanted to get a lens with auto focus is bec the wife also uses the cam especially when i want to be in the picture. hahaha. But yeah peaking helps a lot and i've been using that lately, just been turning off the auto focus. These old lenses do they come new or they are old second or even third hand already? I'll try to check ebay and look for the 50.

Thank you guys for your responses and time.

God bless!

E

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There are some new ones available (some very expensive but extremely good [Zeiss], some very good but not so expensive [Samyang] and new old stock) but most are well used but will be usable for tens of years unlike modern autofocus ones. I just got Tamron SP 300 mm 5.6. Paid 55 euros for it. Used but optically good (slow, I know but not heavy). That was made 1979-1984. It has got some color aberrations but it is quite sharp. I hope that I can remove the color aberrations in post processing.

Yes, this is excellent forum.

9. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    There is another advantage with manual lenses. You can set hyperfocal distances using the aperture and focus rings. That way you will get a very deep field of focus to photograph fast-moving scenes without focusing or if you want someone else to take a photo without changing any settings.

You can find instructions on setting hyperfocal distances by googling.

Also, the Minolta 50/1.7 was a very common kit lens for manual Minolta cameras. (Back in the days when kit lenses were good.) Therefore you can often find them stuck to old cameras being sold in stores, flea markets or on eBay - for next to nothing.

The Minolta lenses are extremely well-built so you don't have to get one in mint condition to get great photos. Just make sure that the lenses are clear and that there is no sticky stuff on the aperture blades.