1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need advice about DOF Preview and Exposure Display LA-EA2 & Sony 100mm f2.8 Macro

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pworden, Apr 25, 2014.

1. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Just tried the adaptor and the lens for the first time. I really like what I see as the end result but I can't see a preview that's even close to the final DOF or exposure.
    It appears that the focus peaking is very accurate, and I can choose that point quite easily, as all else is quite out of focus. But the resulting shot has much more DOF and is much less exposed (used F8 mostly, all settings manual). I've tried it with and without the built-in flash, AF Illuminator Off, have Live View on – which is working, since "off" is way off, but Live View is still much brighter than the final shot. Pressing the DOF Preview button on the lens doesn't change anything, but I expected that from reading about the adaptor. I've never used a DOF preview, so I'm not sure, but it seems like it might be always On, and very inaccurate, if it's meant to show the final result.
    I'm using this on the A6000.
    I'm betting I'm doing something quite wrong. I'm sure someone will set me straight again :) I have downloaded the manuals for the lens and the adaptor, but no idea yet what else to try.

2. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Problem solved. Normal preview is Aperture wide open, to aid focusing, and it stops down when shutter is pressed. I programmed a Custom button to Aperture Preview which then acts like the disabled DOF Preview button on the lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Glad we could help. :p Really, glad you figured it out. :)

4. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Ha! Thanks. I'm sure I'll have another question eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk