1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Need a wee bit of advice

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Sep 30, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    So...I've been on a bit of a manual focus lens bender as of late and I find myself with waaay more than I need and frankly waaay more than I want.

Vivitar Close Focus 28/2
    Olympus Pen-F 38/1.8
    Helios 44M 58/2
    Canon FD 50/1.4
    Hexanon 24/2.8
    Hexanon 50/1.4
    Hexanon 135/3.2
    Hexanon 200/3.5
    Super Takumar 28/3.5
    Super Takumar 50/1.4
    Olympus OM 28/3.5

I also bought a Pen-F 40/1.4 but as luck would have it arrived in a box that looked like it had been run over and the lens will not mount to ANY adapter so the seller is giving me a refund. That got me thinking that I had gone a bit overboard and really needed to cut back a might. The problem is when I see that list there is something I like about every lens so I'm having a hard time deciding what should stay and what should go. Normally I would just keep them all but my laptop is on its last legs so I need to fund a new computer. If you were choosing what would you keep?

There are probably only a few that I would definitely want to keep. Oddly it's not the ones I would have thought. The Vivitar 28/2 is my most used lens (and probably my favorite) followed by the Hexanon 24/2.8 a VERY close second. I could go with either as my only lens if need be. After that I'm not too sentimental.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I'd go
    -Hexanon 50/1.4
    -Hexanon 200/3.5
    plus the ones your favourites. Basically something to cover each type of shot I'm planning to cover
    -A standard lens
    -A Portrait lens
    -and A Telephoto
    a nice wide would probably be nice as well.

3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    So far my keepers are

Vivitar 28/2 and Hexanon 24/2.8 (wide-ish normals)
    Pen-F 38/1.8 (normal)
    Hexanon 200/3.5 (tele)

As much as I like the various 50's I'm still not sure about how useful I find them on the NEX. That Pen-F 38/1.8 almost makes me want to ditch all the 50's...almost. For portraits I think the Helios 44 and the Super Tak 50 are neck and neck. The build on Super Tak being a big part of the attraction (that and the fact that the Helios 44M is one HEAVY lens).

4. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    This is not the first time you've gone on an MF lens bender, if I recall.

I would think you have to keep the 24, as it's your widest lens, unless you just don't shoot at that FOV.

5. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    You're right, I have the manual focus lens monkey on my back but good. :eek: Yes, the 24 is a definite keeper. I really like the Hex 24 a lot. They both close focus which I quite like and I could easily use either as an only lens if I had to. Between the two I like the images off the Hex a tiny bit more but the build and smooth action of the Vivitar a bit more. I'll just keep both. The Pen-F 38 is a funny duck. I like it but unlike most folks I find its smallish size a little less comfortable to hold than the larger lenses I have. It's the way I carry the NEX using the lens as a grab point. It's nice and sharp even wide open and I really like the images. Right now my biggest question is which of the 50s to keep (I might keep them all). Between the Konica, Super Tak, Helios 44 and Canon FD there isn't much separating them. I doubt I could tell the images apart. I think I'm favoring the Super Tak because I love the build quality and smooth action and the Canon FD because it MIGHT be slightly sharper than the rest and have a bit more neutral color but the differences are REALLY small.

6. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I've not tried the Helios.

I am also not paying as close attention to which Tak and Konica you are talking about, but in my search for the right 50, I found the FD had the least hazy outcome when wide open (the Tak was terribly soft and hazy wide open), but nothing beats the Tak's MF ring, and stopped down past 2.2 or so, and there was very little difference. Probably doesn't help much, except to say, I think Tak + FD is a good 1-2 combo.

But, honestly, at $50 a whack, I would recommend you try to get some of them out of circulation, and don't sell them. You clearly love MF lenses, and you will be looking to buy them back again sometime soon! Put them in a bag in a drawer somewhere away from your other gear, and forget about them until Christmas. Bring them out for December, and "re-discover" them all over again.

7. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I like the Helios 44M. It's built like a tank and has a certain burly charm to it. Also it's a post war Zeiss Biotar clone and it can produce some really sweet images. It was cheap though so selling it might be more trouble than it's worth (like the various 50's) I think you're right, the 50s all end up in a drawer or box and not get sold. I think the Canon FD and Tak will be the starters and if I need to go to the bench the Konica and Helios will be waiting. I had previously thought I would hang on to the GX1 P14-45 and PL45 but I'm starting to think that selling those might be a better course of action. Selling those three and I have a new computer (which is a priority right now) and if and when I want to get back into m43 I can pick up a used E-PL5 or what-have-you for a song in about six months.

8. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    If (when) you want to part with the PEN 38 shoot me a PM :)

9. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    You'll get first dibs I promise. ;)

10. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Counting on it, you sorta shared your monkey with me !! Got the Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 today, and if the shorter FL are anything like it, they must be well worth paying the extra. This thing ROCKS. Colors and sharpness unparalleled...
    Still expecting the 40/1.8, should be here on wednesday :)

11. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Came to a decision

Keeping:

Hex 24/2.8
    Vivitar 28/2 CF
    Super Tak 50/1.4
    Canon 50/1.4
    Konica 50/1.4
    SMC Super Tak 105/2.8 (new acquisition)
    Hex 200/3.5

Selling off:

Helios 44M
    Pen-F 38
    OM 28/3.5
    SMC Super Tak 28/3.5
    Hex 135/3.2

12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    So I take it nianys has a new lens then? ;)

13. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    No, not yet. I am giving her first dibs and if she decides to pass I may just keep it. I am trying to fund a new computer (mine is about ready to give up the ghost) and I may just sell off my m43 gear instead. It'll get me more price wise than selling a box of 30+ year old lenses (I'm not one of those guys with $20K in Leica glass) and my NEX is suiting my needs pretty well right now. I'll probably pick up a used E-PL5 or G5 after the start if the year when the prices have dropped by half. I'd like to keep a nice fast AF option available for when I need it. Another option might be something like the new Sony P&S or perhaps a Fuji X10.

14. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Makes sense to me. I just realized that in the 10 months I've had my 5N I've shot my Pentax K20D one time. I really like the K20 & fast zooms, but they aren't getting used. It may be time to just let go.

Obviously I haven't missed them much.

15. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Kevin you need to make space on your inbox ! Won't accept further pm's. And yes I want the PEN !!

16. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    inbox cleared. You can also PM me on mu-43, serious compacts and GetDPI (same username) if you need.