1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Need a new "top load holster style" camera / long lens bag for nature / wildlife outings

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Oct 25, 2013.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I'm looking for a top load belt holster style camera/long lens case to carry an NEX with a Canon FD 300 or 400mm lens attached. Just looking for something to "carry" a 2nd camera/lens so it's out of the way and not hanging / swinging from around my neck banging into things...not looking for a permanent camera/lens storage bag...will only use it as a "carry holster" on outings.
    This is a picture of one made by "Think Tank" but its got too many doo-dads to suit me, plus it's not set up to just slide a belt through the back of it.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Try this I came up with.

Super simple. Works best with longer lens pointed down, short prime sideways.
    IMAG0034.

IMAG0035.

With a water bottle
    IMG_20131001_072403.

And finally as an attachment for my day pack
    IMAG0040.

• Like Like x 2
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Good...yes, I'm thinking along those kind of lines...I just need something large enough for a big lens, and ideally the camera body.
    In the end I may have to get something like the pic above because an NEX-7 with Canon FD 300/4.0L came within inches of buying the farm on some rocks at a lake shoreline yesterday, and I won't carry it like I've been doing ever again.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Scary. I had a similar moment with my phone just this morning, luckily I regained control.

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    UPDATE:

Lacking any suitable alternatives I could find for what I needed and time being of the essence, I went ahead and bit the bullet, ordered the Think Tank 50. It arrived yesterday and I have to say it does seem well made, although $90 seems a bit much for a piece of Cordura and a couple zippers, LOL. Never-the-less, it'll do what I need and that's carry / protect a fairly expensive Canon 300 or 400mm lens / NEX-7 combination while out hiking in the field.

Two observations:

1) The lens part of the 'holster' is not a straight drop-down extension of the camera body compartment, centered underneath the camera compartment or against the side of the leg. The lens portion of the 'holster' is contour designed way out on the outside of the whole affair, and worse, the belt loop / slide / tunnel thing is on the opposite side of the holster from where the lens hangs down. This makes the lens portion hang down out away from the leg instead of hanging straight down along side of the leg, which seems backwards to me. IMO, they should have put the belt loop on the other side of the camera body so the lens portion hangs straight down alongside the leg. (and reverse the hinge point of the top flap so it still opens away from the body of course). But bottom line, I have it and it'll work.

2) And speaking of the large belt loop / slide / tunnel thing, it's a lot more robust than I had imagined (the site did not offer a rear view of the holster) and even though the bottom edge of it is Velcro attached, it is a large spread out area of Velcro, and even wraps around the 2 sides for an inch or so. So I'll try it like it is and if I'm still uneasy about it's security, I can always have a shoe shop make a couple of heavy spot-tacks on the bottom edge of the Velcro...it's going to have a dedicated belt slid through it anyway so I'll have no need to be attaching / un-attaching it via Velcro.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    As another update, the more I looked at my NEX-7 & Lens in this Think Tank model 50, the more I realized the size of the holster was just "HUGE". Went to the actual Think Tank website and saw more models than what had previously popped up on Amazon...turns out the model 50 is for the "large Pro-Size DSLR with large grip"...biggest one they make.

In comparing specs, the Think Tank model 30 is for a "Standard DSLR"...and lens length specs were the same. Ordered one of the model 30's...(looks identical, just that the dimensions of the top half are reduced / scaled down) and it fits the NEX-7 and Canon FD 300 lens with the hood extended perfectly, with even a bit of room to spare. Overall size being smaller makes it a little lighter, easier to carry on a belt, and a little less conspicuous. Plus room for a spare battery & a couple cleaning items.

• Like Like x 1
  7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    As another update, after using the proper sized Think Tank model 30 for my NEX7 in the field for a couple months now, I am really pleased with it...level of protection / handling / ease of use has been outstanding.
    I carried it on a variety of hunting trips with the NEX7 attached to lenses as large as my Canon FD 300/4.0 with the hood attached, and room for a spare battery and cleaning items. In & out of duffle bags, in & out of vehicles, back & forth through thick woods environments & wildlife blinds...it's turned out to be a quality holster.