Need a lens for Astrophotography

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by izTheViz, Jul 4, 2017.

1. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Dear all,

I am looking for budget lens for my A7R to try out some astrophotography this summer (after seeing the great shots of @alexapo)
    I have the 16-35 but F4 might bit quite limited. I just sold the Samyang 14/2.8. Bad copy or bad lens I don't know but really disappointed. I still have a FD 24/2.8 that could do the trick but coma coma coma at the edges from what I remember. I'd like to go for a Batis but I don't want to spend 1000€ for now. Read some good things regarding the FE 28/2. Although it's not UWA this one could be a good option if I ever find a second hand copy. Anyone ever tried it out ?

Thanks

Yannis

2. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 7, 2016
    Martin Connolly
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Sure but this one only works with APS-C right ?

4. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 7, 2016
    Martin Connolly
    Ah true, it won't work on the a7. Shame.

5. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    Makes me wish I'd taken the time last night to take a shot of the moon with my 28/2. The sky was just spectacularly clear as there was no marine layer last night right at sundown/dusk which was @8pm local here.

6. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Hey Yannis,

I was looking to buy a Samyang/Rokinon 14/2.8. based on what others have said about it being a great lens. We'll be in North Carolina next month and I was hoping to try some astro.
    What was so bad about the lens?
    Note: I won't really be using it for anything other than astro because it's big and heavy and has crazy distortion.

7. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    I borrowed my son's 14mm with Nikon mount and found the distortion was just too much for me to handle.
    That said, I'm not much of a photographer either.

8. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    The Voigtlander 15mm (or 12mm) is an excellent lens but possibly too expensive and slow (f4.5) for astrophotography.
    It is a very well made lens and very compact.

9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Perhaps a Sigma 14mm f/1.8 Art? Fastest I'm aware of.

I've used my FE Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 and 12mm f/2.8 Fish-eye for starry sky pics. The results were satisfactory. I know there is a newly designed Samyang FE AF 14mm f/2.8 out with improved performance and distortion.

I forgot the brand, but a 3rd party specialty lens maker from China has a zero distortion UWA 15mm for E mount.

10. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    The Samyang 14/2.8 copy I had was probably crap. The right hand side (a 15% wide vertical frame) of the image was soft at all apertures. Crazy soft on the A7R a bit better on the A7. Not usable. Sold.
    Laowa 15/2 is an option but the price should be around 950$ or so. The new Samyang 14/2.8 is also an option but again I've seen so and so reviews and bad sample images. It's said to be less sharp than the previous model...Voigtlander are pretty good but to slow.
    That's why I was wondering about the FE 28/2. Anyway...thanks for your replies

11. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks. I had the 28/2 for a while and sold it. It's good quality, but I could never love the focal length (I know it's the same as cell phones). It was never wide enough or long enough for my eye. You may have to stitch if you go with this option.

12. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Yes, sounds like you received a badly de-centered copy of the lens.

13. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Not quite as wide as the other lenses being discussed, but another possibility might be the Tokina Firin 20mm F2. $799 new.

But I might be biased. Mine is in transit. :)

14. Alex_Apo

Alex_Apo TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 18, 2015
    Cyprus
    • Like Like x 1
  15. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  16. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    • Like Like x 1
  17. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Yeah I came across this website. Thanks. The Irix option looks interesting although it requires an adapter. I could give it a try. Will be in the US in 5 weeks and could be delivered there. Let see...

• Agree Agree x 1