1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Need a decent tripod on a budget.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by AK47J, Jul 10, 2014.

1. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I have an older Slik U7000. It's light, simple, and works fine for most stuff, but it's not that stable. And when I use a really heavy lens (Like my Konica 200mm f/3.5 plus a tele) it is practically useless.

I'm looking for a decent, solid tripod and head that can handle some weight.
    This tripod has good reviews and is at the upper end of what I want to spend.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002EXF38/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1T0M85LW4F04U&coliid=I1U4KF3XRG59A3

Is it worth the cash? Any other suggestions?

2. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
  3. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I have the little brother of this tripod (I have the 3001) and I really like it alot. Mine is a bit shorter and can support a bit less weight, but I have never had a problem with it! If the used one is in decent shape, with those 2 heads, I think that would be a very good deal!

The 3221 isn't super small I don't think, so if you are using it for travel, you will definitely want to check it out and try toating it around a bit in whatever bag you are thinking to use...

4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I have a couple of Bogen 3021 tripods, with 3028 heads on them...good sturdy tripods.
    Have had one of them since the 80's...and they hold my Canon FD 400/4.5 lens no problem at all...have never had any indication / reason I should get a different / better tripod.

I carry one around with me for 2-3 hours at a local Arboretum shooting flowers, but wouldn't try to hike or backpack with it.
    I also don't use quick disconnect plates, eliminating any unnecessary bit of weight as well as another potential failure point in the overall scheme of things.

5. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    just received a mefoto roadtrip to replace my cheap manfrotto. will test it heavily next week in Rome but I
    choosed it according to many reviews and its value for money.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de TalkEmount

6. LightCentric

LightCentric TalkEmount Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    Saginaw, MI
    Andy Richards
    I have the MeFoto $189 model. Recommend it highly

7. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Correction, my first Bogen is a 3021, my 2nd Bogen is a 3221WN (Wilderness)...both with 3028 Heads.

8. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    My cheapo wimpy Slik finally broke. Ordered a MeFoto A1350

9. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    confirm that the mefoto is great. heavier thant my old manfrotto but far better

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de TalkEmount

10. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Most MeFoto tripods are actually just rebranded (and slightly modified) Sirui tripods. And I can recommend Sirui highly - they make awesome tripods for great prices. When I researched before buying mine, I found the genuine Sirui ones to be cheaper than all rebranded ones I could find, so just look for that.

11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Nice place to get sirui tripods is http://foto-tip.pl (if you live in Europe).

I have a couple of cheap manfrotto clones, big Triopo carbon fiber one and Velbon UT43D. I mostly use the later one as it is easy to transport. Got mine from closeout for 100 Euro.

12. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Tripod arrived today. For being made in China and the price, I am impressed with the build quality/fit and finish. I am excited to actually use it.

13. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    That's the crazy thing about chinese products nowadays. They're not actually bad products in many cases. I mean, hey, western companies already paid for the infrastructure in the factories, so why shouldn't chinese ones use them to produce high quality gear? The only reason people are still shy of buying things in china are potential scam dealers or problems with warranty claims.