Native NZ Tui

Discussion in 'Nature' started by macro, Aug 21, 2013.

1. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    A mix of 500 and 800mm shots on the NEX-7

When I was a kid........ many, many moons ago ;) these were fairly scare and rare to see them or hear them. Now they are plentiful. Gorgeous colours and easy to see the white tuft of feathers on its neck and the necklace it seems to have. The size of a very large Starling, maybe a little bigger. Beautiful song they have like no other.

Native New Zealand Tui

DSC06585.

DSC06606.

DSC0882756.

DSC08826.

DSC061001.

DSC061631.

DSC061551.

All the best folks.

Danny.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ah, you guys have such strange and wondrous critters down under. Any idea what the white tuft on the neck is for? Courting, or... .

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great bif shots

4. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Danny,....Have you ever considered doing a book,....or at least some calendars etc??

5. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Those are magnificent, my friend. How far away would you estimate you were from the birds?

Tony

6. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Awww not good with the multi quotes so I'll just post away :)

Not sure what the whites tufts are for, both male and female have it, I've never really thought about, but a darn good question though. I might have to look that one up.

Calender and advertising using totally different images (not birds), has been done. I have a couple that follow what I take in that front. Birds and macro is where I just chill out though, that's where sanity rules, LOL. I have been asked to be a nature photography guide by someone setting that up here in NZ, but that sounds like hard work to me. Can you imagine guys with FF Nikon's and Canon's turning up and here's Danny with a NEX-7 and MF lenses :) :) I won't change my system.

Tony, the perched Tui's are close mate, real close, using the 500mm on those at around 6 meters away (18 feet) with a 500 that's real close. The BIF ones I pre-focused on the top of the tree and that would be around 70-80 meters, using the 800mm on those.

All the best and thanks folks.

Danny.

7. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Third and fourth shots are belters mate, well done. You are Kiwi then or a migrant ? I'm here in NZ from the UK, living in Hamilton. Keep up the good work :)

8. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    WGTN and born here. Hamilton's a nice place and just far enough away from AKLD :) Driving in AKLD drives me nuts mate, LOL.

All the best and thanks.

Danny.

9. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Lol mate, spent three months commuting from Hamilton to Auckland daily and boy am I glad to be based in Hamilton now ! We've got our resident visas through so we're here to stay. I have a friend who's in Taranaki, he reckons that's a nice place too. I'm interested to know where your huge lenses were acquired - here or overseas ? I'm used to having an abundance of old MF stuff in the UK and I'd love to track some stuff down here in NZ but there's not a lot about. Could you give me any tips for sourcing some ( less elaborate ) lenses etc here in NZ ? I used to stalk Cash Converters etc in England but there aren't many of those here either :-(

10. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    You could try Tradme, but not a lot there either really. All mine have come from Ebay in the US, I mainly only deal with one guy out of Japan though, I know what he sells and I know the quality and the service, so I stick with him mate........

matsuiyastore | eBay

So I keep an eye what he has going from time to time. I more or less have everything I need now anyway.

All the best up there and congrats on your visas, great news. :)

Danny.