1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'Nasim Mansurov Reviews the 6'

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by RT_Panther, Feb 18, 2013.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
  2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Most of what has been said about the 6 has already been said, but this needs repeating:
    I have no issues with Sony charging for features. But restricting their app store to themselves is just not cool. We know those features are overpriced, and also they have fixed costs (i.e. the cost/unit has to come down over time because you only need to code it once). Open source developers could provide any of these either free or for 99 cents.

3. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I didn't even know what a intervalometer was until I looked it up. Guess I really didn't need one since I had no idea what the heck it was. Now that I do, I still don't need it.

4. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    very well, thank you very much, it's a interesting review about the nex6 and also amazing photographs.

5. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    When I add the 6 I never even used any of the built in apps. Tried to register the camera and the process on the Sony website was just too awkward. Gave up.

6. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Wel.... definitely they could... but than no money (not eben 99 cent) would go to Sony, so that's why they don't open theit app store.
    And you have to open up parts of your internal camera software to make the apps working I guess so a second point why that will never happen...

7. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    SDKs don't have to open up everything to create functional programs. For example a custom long exposure app could be done in 5 mins if you only know the internal code for <set to bulb>, and <press shutter>. A time lapse app could be done in equally simple fashion. I'm just saying opening their SDK and store a little will show they are providing a service to photographers rather than merely monetizing the featureset.

Sony do need that extra something to properly take on Canikon and this would be a huge growth area. Otherwise they will lose to the coming android juggernaut just like their old phone os did. The camera I'm most excited about isn't the FF NEX. It's the Polaroid android-based m4/3 ILC. Innovations in photography featuresets are all starting on cellphones these days.

8. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I'm looking forward to trying the remote ap -- I just need to get a smart phone.

9. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Reviews not good. They say it's awkward to use and doesn't work that well. I'd just get the Sony IR remote. It works like a charm.

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Have to agree here, using my iPhone for remotely operating the camera is clumsy and a lot of the camera's functions are inaccessible while you're working in the program on the camera. A simple IR remote does the job much better.

11. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Good review, except for the AF performance description...
    An unknowing person reading the article in earnest while trying to decide on a camera could get the impression that AF speed is on par with a DSLR...