• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

My X100 replacement

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I have a Fuji X100 and I have enjoyed shooting with it. It’s a nice, compact camera with a lovely OVF, some nice film simulations and a fun retro design. It’s AF isn’t great but it’s also not terrible. The lens is nice and sharp stopped down and not all that great wide open and close in (a lot like the Fuji XF23/2).

But...I’ve replaced it with something I like better. My a6000 with Lensmate thumbgrip and an Olympus OM 24/2.8. The X100 is actually larger and heavier than the a6000 so the weight of the adapter and lens doesn’t make the entire package feel that much larger or heavier. I give up AF but I gain really good manual focus, a flip screen, a much better sensor and a much more responsive kit. I can even bounce the flash using my finger. As far as the film simulations...I like them, but I can’t say that I miss them all that much. It’s all about trade-offs. I’m giving up some stuff (like the OVF) and gaining others (like the flip-screen). I still like the X100 but for what I do my cobbled together kit serves me better.

Best of all, the a6000, adapter, lens, thumbgrip, wrist strap and camera bag were less than a used later model X100. The newer X100’s have a nice high resolution sensor and much improved AF but the same lens. Best of all I just added an late model OM 50/1.4 and the whole kit is still pretty darn small.

The minimalist kit is getting packed up for my upcoming trip.

Last edited:

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Here's a few with the OM 24/2.8. It's not run and gun like having AF. You gotta take more time but it still makes a pretty decent walk around kit. The 36mm FOV is wide enough that you can use it for landmarks without having to stand miles away and tight enough to get shots of those interesting things you just happen upon.

33514755468_b6912290b6_b.jpg
   ---            
The Temple of Ed
by the adapted eye, on Flickr

47424327491_6270d8bcfd_b.jpg
   ---            
urban archeology
by the adapted eye, on Flickr

I'm starting to try and learn zone focusing to speed things up a might.

Latest threads

Top Bottom