My street

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by NickCyprus, Oct 9, 2014.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Following a previous thread of mine: https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=8518 and https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=8307&page=4
    I'll present here some of my photos from the street photography workshop I recently attended. It was the first time doing a workshop and also a first of mine at street photography.

The workshop was not how I imagined at all and tbh I disagreed how the tutor presented street photography and handled the whole workshop in general – 8/10 of the attendees were amateurs (with the bad meaning of the word, like not knowing what aperture is etc) using big heavy DSLR’s stuck on Auto modes, with Autofocus, zoom lenses, staying far away from their subject etc. (There was only one other guy that was true to the street photography ethos, using an X100S, with who we became friends)

And while I did a lot of reading on street photography prior to the workshop (I even met and talked to a Greek street photographer using a Nex-6 for his work :D ), I’ll admit that the days before the workshop I was scared of using a MF legacy lens for this and even had my 18-105 mounted on the camera as the tutor gave us the lecture. But at the end of the lecture I was so disappointed by the whole situation that I decided I’d make it more difficult or challenging for my self and go how I think real street photography should be done – with a MF prime lens. So, this are all shot with a Minolta MD 35 2.8. In the end I’m happy that I manage to have very little out of focus shots.

I also tried using hyperfocal http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html, but since the distances and lightning changed during the workshop, from intense bright sunlight to areas with shadows or low light indoor situations, I worked with adjusting aperture, shutter speed and ISO accordingly and of course adjusting focusing. Gotta say that focus peaking came soooo handy :)

The tutor wants to see 6-7 of our photos for the 2 subjects we choose. I choose «People» and «street art & deco» and I’ll share some as I slowly post process them.

15293020667_09433ff5ef_c. DSC05462-2 by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

15456444516_20942117f3_c. DSC01257-2 by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

15479635765_e012e8320f_c. DSC01225-2 by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

15292852458_7dd35b3045_c. DSC01263 by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

and one I already posted on another thread

15263104537_8f3b2dd01f_c. DSC01224 by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 14
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Glad things seemed to turn out OK in spite of the overall description of the class

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice as always

• Like Like x 1
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well done, Nick. I sometimes think that we advance our craft in this art form more by following our own instincts and passions, rather than by hewing rigidly to the instructions and critique of others. Not that others don't have things to teach us, but unless we can integrate those lessons into our own approach, they are often wasted, or worse, take us down the wrong path.

• Like Like x 1
  5. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I think the tutor may be impressed!

What was his take on street btw?

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Nick, ya done good.

I really like the one of the fellow lighting a smoke. I like your processing in all of them, but something about the framing of that one captures my attention the most.

7. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I keep thinking about doing some workshops but you always hear these types of stories about them, if I was in the states around chicago I would probably try to go to chuck jines street workshop (though its only film based noi digital here).

http://www.chuckjines.com/

• Like Like x 1
  8. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks!

"Her" take :D

Well I guess she did presented (in theory) the workshop as street photography should be (ie. use wide angle lens, no zoom, get in close to the subject, capture emotions, don't lift the camera to eye level etc) but in the end she "let" her students do it as they thought...

At least I feel good with myself that I attempted to do it the "correct" way :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks Colin!!! Coming from you means a lot to me since I love your street photography style :)

That one is one of my favorites as well. It was also the one from the "people" category that I really had a difficult time deciding whether to present it as B&W or color. Here's the color version for reference:
    15310151657_b937964f19_c. DSC01225 by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

In the end of the day I decided to keep all the people B&W...

10. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    At least I didn't pay for it, so that's something, lol :D

11. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Well done!

Here is a video of Leica Akademie Italy Street Photography Workshop that I saw:
    [video=vimeo;107908844]http://vimeo.com/107908844[/video]

• Like Like x 3
  12. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Nice job, Nick. That's an area of interest for m as well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    • Like Like x 5
  14. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Well you cant argue with that price ;D . Seems like it was worth the effort because you got some real nice shots in the end anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  15. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    • Like Like x 2
  16. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Nice work Nick.
    It’s good you made the most of the class. It was also wise to challenge yourself and skip the zoom. I think it worked out well. I find the best street work is up close and personal. If I still worked in the city, I would be all over street work. Just keep shooting and don't be shy with people. Believe it or not, many like to be immortalized. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  17. jedilost1

jedilost1 TalkEmount Regular

Oct 1, 2014
    New Jersey

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks!

I may have been slightly "unfair" with her. Today we had a chance to see the photos the group took at the workshop. Gotta say that not only the tutor got some pretty impressive photos (more of an artistic style, not street photography with the strict meaning) but also I saw some excellent photos from the students too!

I mean, I still believe she presented the workshop the wrong way, but in the end its the results (photos) that counts and even with the "wrong" gear (ie. she was using a bridge superzoom !!!) or approach they got some really excellent photos :)

Maybe I'm taking the "rules" too seriously or over-thinking about it... :D

There's already a street photography thread ;)
    https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=14

• Like Like x 1