My (soon to be) budget & off-camera flash setup!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by JoeyC5R, Jun 9, 2013.

1. JoeyC5R

JoeyC5R New to TalkEmount

Jun 8, 2013
    I'd like to experiment with off-camera flash that will primarily be used outdoors. I'm using my NEX-5R. This is what I purchased:

1) JJC MSA-10 Hotshoe adapter for NEX ($20)

JJC MSA 10 Hotshoe Adapter FOR Sony NEXF3 NEX3 NEX5 NEX5N Remote Trigger Flash | eBay

2) Yongnuo RF-602 Wireless Remote Flash Trigger (1 Transmitter + 2 receivers) ($40)

RF602 RF-602 Wireless Remote Flash Trigger for Nikon

3) Yongnuo Speedlite Flash YN-460 II ( x 2) ($80)

Speedlite Flash Camera YONGNUO YN460 II for Canon Nikon 847231050042 | eBay

4) Light stand (x 2) ($23)

CowboyStudio Set of Two 7 ft Photography Light Stands with Cases: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Total = $163 Canadian dollars

Now I've got to wait for all of this to arrive LOL! Anyone else here using a similar setup?

Cheers!

2. jvjc888

jvjc888 TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 18, 2013
    Will work well for your outdoor needs. I would add a light diffuser like an umbrella or softbox with the stand to give you more options when indoors. Package it with the stands to save more.

3. JoeyC5R

Jun 8, 2013
    I'm hoping so. I've read so much about setup X not working and setup Y almost working so I'm prepared that my setup doesn't actually fire the flash correctly/

You're right, I probably should have done that, but I'm still unsure what I need in terms of umbrellas and mounts for the umbrellas. any suggestions?

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
  5. JoeyC5R

Jun 8, 2013
  6. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
  7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    It is ok quality but not great. Will last several years of use. Eats lots of light so you need a powerful flash.

8. JoeyC5R

Jun 8, 2013
    That's awesome, Erick. I wish that I had seen this earlier. How easy/difficult is it to use the flash in manual mode?

Is GN38 (at 35mm focal length, ISO 100 in meters) / GN53 (at 35mm focal length, ISO 200 in meters) powerful enough?

9. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, GN 38 means aperture 11 at 3.5 meters. These soft boxes take 2-3 stops or so you are left about 5.6 minimum aperture. That is plenty and my estimate is pretty conservative and you don't need to place soft box that far. (My calculation is very approximate, these soft boxes transform a point light source to a light square and light behaves differently depending the type of it's source).

10. JoeyC5R

Jun 8, 2013
    Awesome, thanks for the info. I stopped by a Cowboy Studio storefront the other day and picked up an umbrealla and 2 light stand mounts with umbrella mount all for 20 bucks. Not bad!

Still waiting for my YNs to come and the wireless triggers..

11. siopaomaster

siopaomaster New to TalkEmount

Jun 15, 2013
    similar to mine, except I use only a cheap generic lightstand :)

Awesome for outdoor shoot. I haven't tried it though to a studio setup

12. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Sorry, I just got back to this now. I haven't found it very difficult really, but this has been my first attempts at off camera or manual flash. I will say that I use a lot of trial and error. It's a good thing about digital. For those smoke shots I probably took 100 shots to get the few I kept. Playing with various flash powers and exposure settings. I try to keep notes as I'm shooting so when I get settings that look good on review I know what they are.

For in home playing around I also shoot with an Eye-Fi card. That way I can take a shot and see the result almost instantly on my tablet or laptop.

13. JoeyC5R

Jun 8, 2013
    Aw man, I thought my light stands were cheap / a good deal :( How much did you get yours for?

I would imagine! They looked like very tough shots to take.

Do you think that outdoor shots would be easier? I would imagine that it would take some time to learn the settings that work the best since there is no automatic /TTL.

The Eye-Fi card seems interesting. How "instant" is instant? I'd love to bring my MacBook along with me to show clients the results of the photos as I take them!

14. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    I dont know much about outdoor flash, but a lot of time outdoor flash is being used along with available light as a fill. Currently I havent shot much more than available light shots while outdoors. Hopefully somebody will come along that can help out more with that.

I haven't really timed the transfer, but it's not instant that's for sure. I'd say around 30 seconds, thinking it depends on the speed of the wireless network, I'm not sure there is any way to make it faster. When I did the smoke shots it took quite a while for all the pics to load just because of the sheer number of shots I was taking.

My tablet has a full size SD slot in it so another option would also be to put my card in there after a shoot. That could be quite tedious though trying to setup specialized shots. Once I get the shots looking the way I want with the Eye-Fi, I usually switch out for a normal card and just snap away.

When I have some extra time this week I'll snap a few shots with the Eye-Fi and see how long the transfer is on my home network, and let you know.