1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My son called this morning....

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by AlwaysOnAuto, Apr 21, 2018.

1. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    Asking if my wife and I could come down and feed their dogs tonight. They were getting ready to go to the hospital for the birth of their first child, our second granddaughter.
    What camera/lens combo should I take?
    I'm thinking since the center of attention will be/is the baby, maybe I should just slap the FE2/28 on the A7ii and put it on AUTO so I don't mess up.
    What do you all think?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Congratulations! 28mm should be good, especially if you plan on doing group shots. 50mm is also good for close ups of the baby. :) 

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks Jonathan.
    The 28 is my only native so it would be first choice for those 'non-thinking' snaps.

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Congrats!
    The 28 will be great and fast enough indoors. I'd still pocket a 50/55mm manual just in case. Besides Auto, try some shots in Aperture Priority mode to keep the DOF to your liking and to gather more light. Otherwise, the camera's may default to a slower shutter and higher ISO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    28 sounds good. I used the 24 zeiss with my nex 6 for my first son and the 35 sigma on A7rii for my second. No regrets with either. 28 will be right in the middle. I would shoot at 2.2 if possible as it is much sharper than wide open. At least my copy is.

6. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks all !
    I'm going to put my Micro Nik 55 on the Nex-7 and take it too. Maybe I should take the 24 instead though....

7. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    OK, this is what I'm going with.
    Let's hope I don't screw up.
    IMG_0107.JPG
    Canon PowerShot SD1000    ---    6mm    f/2.8    1/60s    ISO 200

Put fresh batteries in both cameras, plus taking two spares + the 24mm as 55 maybe too long for a hospital room.
    This is old Zero case which I got from my brother when we traded some camera stuff.
    No word yet that Shelby has arrived so we wait...

• Like Like x 3
  8. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Congrats on the new grandchild! Your plan for camera, lens, and setting are sound. Enjoy the moment and let the equipment do its work! Looking forward to seeing the new grand baby

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Congrats! You should be covered with a wide angle (24-28) and a standard fast lens for some nice bokeh (50)

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Have fun. At least though, use one of the Auto Presets.

11. BigMackCam

BigMackCam TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2018
    North East of England
    Mike
    Many congratulations on your forthcoming arrival!

Auto is tempting in such situations. My "safety net" is to use (P)rogramme Auto, so I at least have control over aperture or shutter speed depending on the priorities of the shot. And I generally prefer to work with just a single, central focus point and recompose as necessary (or move the focus point if time allows)... but it's a personal thing. In the circumstances, choose whatever gives you the most confidence and lets you enjoy the moment rather than worrying too much about the camera.

Best of luck! :) 

• Like Like x 1
  12. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Congratulations.

Photographically, pretty much what others have said.

This day is about the family.

13. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Just to update you all...it turned into a trip to feed the dogs. Shelby, all 8-1/2 lbs of her, didn't arrive until 6:21pm and we were on our way home by then. There were some issues at the hospital so we didn't go there. We'll be going down again in the next few days if not today. My wife wants to be able to hold the baby and that's not possible at the hospital. She may be staying to help out like my mother-in-law did the first week our son was born. We're not sure on that just yet though. That was a great help since I didn't get to take time off from work like they give new fathers now. My son will be home for 2 wks or so.
    This gives me time to figure out how to get single point focus on my camera and how to use A and P priority too. So far I've only used both cameras in full on MANUAL mode.

• Like Like x 4
  14. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    I imagine your wife is on "pins and needles" until she is able to hold Shelby. It will be quite a moment to capture.

15. johnson4096

johnson4096 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 23, 2016
    Dan Johnson
    Congratulations on the new grandchild.

16. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Some of you guys might think 'What's the big deal about a new baby?'
    By way of explanation, it's a big deal to me because my dad died when my wife was 5 months pregnant with our son who is our oldest, so he never got to meet either of my two kids.
    Good news, Shelby is home from the hospital and we're going down to meet/see her tomorrow.

• Like Like x 4
  17. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    I understand! I have four grandsons and every time one was born it was a BIG deal! They are blessings from God so treasure every moment with her.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jeep Captain

Jeep Captain TalkEmount Regular

Dec 31, 2017
    Northwest Indiana
    Jeff
    Congratulations! I totally understand it being a big deal. Our boys don't remember much about their grandparents...Make every day count.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Congratulations AlwaysOnAuto. As Jeff said, we totally understand it being a big deal. Such a happy occassion. :) 

20. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Congrats!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.