My NEX6 shoulder rig

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by robbie1985, Jul 21, 2013.

1. robbie1985

robbie1985 TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 21, 2013
    Newcastle, UK
    Hi forum

I'm new here so sharing some images of my NEX6 set up.

As posted in other threads I'm mostly using the amazing Zhongyi Lens Turbo (EOS version) to mount Canon lenses along with a variety of manual primes. This is my rig:

NEX Rig 2.

NEX rig 6.

NEX rig 5.

NEX rig 4.

Nex rig 3.

The body of the rig is a Spider Steady, with the optional rail mount. Got a basic follow focus and matte box, both from eBay. I added a Manfrotto copy quick release plate (which is currently sat on 3 pieces of wood, which is a DIY fix as I mostly use this rig for a Canon DSLR with a battery grip, so need to give the NEX that extra height). Got a Lilliput 668GL 7inch monitor which is great BUT the NEX doesn't seem to output the focus peaking onto it, which is annoying. Whole thing is sat on a Weifeng 717 fluid head tripod, using the quick release plate from the tripod on the bottom of the rig, so you can detach it quickly and go 'hand held'.

Happy to answer any questions about this or provide links to where I purchased all the parts from.

• Like Like x 2
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Wow, that's quite a setup for such a "Small Camera."

3. IgorFB

IgorFB New to TalkEmount

Jun 3, 2013
    London
    Igor
    That looks awesome! Good job

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I've always wanted to see what the taken-to-the-limit NEX-6 would look like.

Now I know. ;)

5. robbie1985

Jul 21, 2013
    Newcastle, UK
    Thanks! And yes it may be small in size, but some of the video features on this tiny (relatively) cheap camera are giving Canon a run for its money. I built this rig up around a Canon 550d, and the NEX6 is not only much lighter, but miles ahead in terms of frame rate, native focus peaking and all of hundreds of lens combinations possible.

Thank you!

Haha cheers! I've also got a glidecam which the NEX sits on more comfortably than my Canon.

6. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    I don't know anything about video but WOW is all I can contribute.

7. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    :eek: impressive!

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Now, that's quite a gear!!!

9. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    looks a really amazing set up ,well done,
    what are the benefits to you of using the nex as your camera on this set up ?

would like to see some of your videos

10. robbie1985

Jul 21, 2013
    Newcastle, UK
    Thanks! You can see all my previously published music videos here: Cardiac Media Videos although they're mostly shot on the Canon, the NEX is a brand new addition!

The advantages of the NEX over ANY affordable DSLR are as follows:

1 - It's tiny and light, which means when carrying this rig around on my shoulder for hours, it hurts ever so slightly less than my DSLR.
    2 - It shoots a higher frame rate at 1080p. As far as I'm aware there are no affordable DSLRs that shoot 50/60fps at 1080p. The only other camera I can think of is the Panasonic GH3 which is like twice the price of the NEX6. My Canon (along with all the other Canons, including the only just announced 70d) only shoot a higher frame rate at 720p. This means if you want any slow motion in your video, you are limited to outputting at 720p rather than the 1080 the camera can handle. I mostly shoot music videos and you simply can not shoot one without slow motion. So until I purchased the NEX6 I have been outputting all of my productions in 720p, now I can go up the full 1080p.
    3 - It's mirrorless, which means it has a shorter flange distance for the focal plane, which means far more lenses can be adapted to fit it. I can not rave enough about the Zhongyi Lens Turbo, which takes a full frame focal length and reduces it down onto the APS-C sensor inside the NEX6, giving you all of that full frame width back AND adding a stop of light in the process. You can't do this with a Canon or any DSLR.
    4 - When using a Canon DSLR with an external monitor via HDMI like above, the camera switches output between HD and SD when you start and stop recording. This process turns the external screen blue for about 2-3 seconds each time. THIS IS JUST CRAP! It's frustrating and wastes time and when shooting, time is money, so it wastes money. The NEX does no such thing. Other than the fact it doesn't send the focus peaking info to the monitor, it works perfectly with the monitor.
    5 - If you're not using a monitor, it has the flippy screen. A fair few DSLRs have this now, but my 3 year old 550d does not, so it's an advantage of the NEX.

I think that just about covers it!

11. lordkifar

lordkifar TalkEmount Regular

May 8, 2013
    Beautiful setup....and certainly if you do a lot of video, this is perfect.

Out of curiosity, how much did the whole setup cost you in the current state (minus the camera and the lens turbo)?

12. robbie1985

Jul 21, 2013
    Newcastle, UK
    In pounds Sterling:

Spider steady £45
    Rail mount and rails £10
    Follow focus £60
    Matte box £12
    Giottos (Manfrotto style) quick release £20
    Lilliput 668GL 7inch monitor £120
    Friction arm to mount monitor £7
    Mini HDMI to HDMI cable £2
    External extra battery for the monitor (completely optional) £30

Total cost around £300 and believe me you can not get any cheaper unless you make it yourself, and I tried that for 2 years before investing in this rig. It gets the job done but you can't take DIY gear on real shoots

Sent from my HTC One XL using TalkNEX mobile app

13. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    thanks
    will look at your stuff later,if it's as impressive as your rig then it will be well worth it

14. robbie1985

Jul 21, 2013
    Newcastle, UK
    Thanks! But be warned, a lot of the music videos I've shot are for very heavy metal! So be sure to turn your speakers down first!

Sent from my HTC One XL using TalkNEX mobile app

15. lordkifar

lordkifar TalkEmount Regular

May 8, 2013
    Thx for the info....excellent prices too....I think it is well worth it to pay for something like that than too many DIY which as you mentioned may not be suitable for real shoots.

16. Aaronius31

Aaronius31 TalkEmount Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    As a fellow videographer on the NEX-6, I must say that this is an absolute awesome rig especially for the price! I'm also looking to get the Lens Turbo, but have to go either Nikon or Canon cause the Minolta is worse than the others which sucks cause my favorites are Minoltas! But if you could, can you possibly link each item with either an eBay or an Amazon US/UK link for all of us who want to take your same gear route? Much appreciated!

And what lenses/focal lengths do you use mostly? Can't see your videos since I'm on monile :(

Great work!

17. robbie1985

Jul 21, 2013
    Newcastle, UK
    Having looked them up, some have gone up in price, but some quite surprisingly have gone even further down!

Spider Steady

Rail mount and rails

Follow focus

Matte box

Giottos (Manfrotto style) quick release

Lilliput 668GL 7inch monitor

Friction arm to mount monitor

Mini HDMI to HDMI cable

External extra battery for the monitor (completely optional)

And the thing I didn't include in the original price list:

Weifeng 717 Fluid Head video tripod

This question is easier to answer with a photo:

IMAG0763_1.

From left to right there are:

Four 28mm primes, all f2.8, PKs and M42s
    The completely rubbish Canon EF-S 18-55 kit lens
    Two 35mm primes, an Optomax M42 f3.5 and Canon EF f2
    A Tokina 28-70 PK f4 zoom
    Three 50mm primes, a Canon FD f1.8, a Chinon PK f1.7 and Canon EF f1.4
    A Chinon 55-225 PK f3.5-5.6 zoom
    A Canon 75-300 EF f4-5.6 IS
    A Prakticar 135mm PB f2.8
    A DIY 58mm f2 tilt shift

And down the front there's the EF-Emount 'straight through' adapter, EF-Emount Zhongyi Lens Turbo and a PK mount 2x tele adapter.

Recently ordered and in the post I have a 24mm f1.4 c-mount prime and adapters. Will post that up once I've tested it!

Wow this was an intense post to write! Hope it's useful to somebody!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jack

Jack New to TalkEmount

Dec 1, 2013
    Hey Robbie,
    Thank you for the awesome post and detailed breakdown.

I see that your monitor covers the back of the nex, how do you hit the record button? Are you using a remote for that?
    I also want to buy the lens turbo adapter, but it does not have a tripod mount! Arent you afraid of damaging the mount on the sony nex? especially if you use a heavy/long lens (ie; Chinon 55-225 PK f3.5-5.6 zoom).

19. fightingmouse

fightingmouse New to TalkEmount

Dec 15, 2013
    This is awesome! Im thinking about doing this same rig! Thank you for the help!

20. berber

berber New to TalkEmount

Feb 3, 2014
    nice set up! I'm particularly interested in how you give the Nex that extra height as I'm facing exactly the same problem. How did you fix those wooden pieces to the rig and to the quick release plate in a stable manner?