My NEX-7 impression and few pics

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by lowincash, Jan 13, 2012.

1. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    After using the NEX-7 for a little over a week, I think I can say that this camera will be with me for a long long time :) Here's a quick little writeup of my impressions with this camera. I posted this on dpreview but I'll post here too :)

Like many, I wanted something to replace my dslr because I don't take it with me anywhere anymore because of its size and weight. Below is the order of how I came to the 7.

Nikon D40 --> Canon XS --> Canon 50D --> Panasonic GF1 --> Nikon D7000 --> Panasonic G3 --> Olympus E-P3 --> Sony NEX-7

I looked all over the place and nowhere had it in stock so I just went ahead and ordered it from Adorama thinking it shouldn't take too long. Ordered it on 12/16/2011 and then a week later got a notice from them saying it'll be shipped around end of March or early April. I didn't want to wait so long because I had no camera to use at the moment. After searching online somehow I found this forum emoticon - grin I saw a thread where someone bought it from Wolf cameras or something. I think I got lucky because I wasn't sure what Wolf camera was so I looked it up on google and found a different Wolfe camera. I called them up and they had 1 body in stock so I jumped on it and ordered it right away. After a week of waiting I finally got it last week haha

I had ordered the Zeiss 24mm 1.8 lens from B&H and both camera and lens arrived the same day. Once I got them on I must say, the NEX-7 feels great in the hand and so comfortable to hold. Definitely felt better than the 50D and D7000. I couldn't seem to put it down lol People have reported accidentally hitting the record button but I've yet to hit it and it doesn't seem to get in the way for me. My thumb rests comfortably between the two wheels up top. I do have to say tho, the palm of my hand does tend to turn the wheel changing the ISO without me knowing. Kinda annoying =/

Right now I only have the Zeiss and the Tamron 18-200 lens and this will be my only two lenses for now. I might get the 50mm 1.8 in OSS in the future, once I pay off the the 7 and the two lenses first =/ I don't usually buy many lenses so the lack of e-mount lenses does not bother me a bit.

One thing that I wish Sony can improve on is the AF in low light situations. It's a shame a camera this nice struggled so much to focus. Well I was actually expecting this since it's contrast detect AF like the Panasonic and Olympus micro 4/3rd cameras. I will say that the AF performance in low light is pretty much the same as with the GF1 (this was the worst one), G3 and E-P3 that I had. They all could not focus quickly in low light when using the zoom lens and will just go back and forth till I aim it to something with more contrast then recompose the shot. From what I've seen, with the Tamron 18-200 lens it has the most trouble focusing in low light at around 50mm and above. The wider end are usually not much problem and the Zeiss lens didn't have much problem as well. I'm only going to use the 18-200 when lighting is good and the 24 for everything else so not a problem.

I have tested this camera at night using the 24mm lens on hand held twilight and anti blur mode and it works great. Picture looks fine at ISO 3200 and even 6400 when viewing normally but of course it's going to be noisy when pixel peeping. I usually resize my pictures for easy uploads and I shoot jpeg most of the time and don't have any problem with the NEX-7's image quality. At first I thought 24MP was too much and I was perfectly happy with the 16MP from the D7000. But wow this camera picks up soooo much details it's pretty incredible.

I don't use panoramic sweep much but it's good to have. I've tried a few shots and it's pretty good with the Zeiss lens but with the Tamron it's quite blurry. I can't really use the Zeiss for indoor panoramic sweep because the shutter speed is at 1/500 and it comes out too dark. The Tamron has VC so it allows 1/60 shutter speed but it's quite blurry lol Not a deal breaker for me since I don't use this much. I actually use HDR, handheld twilight anti blur mode more. Also want to add that thank you Sony for adding the miniature effect, one of my favorite! Loved it on the E-P3.

I usually buy an external flash for all the camera I buy and rarely use them. I'm glad to say I'm very happy with the flimsy little pop up flash on the 7. It's so flimsy that I can just bend it back a bit and use it to bounce flash! Not sure if Sony meant for it to be used as bounce flash or not but doesn't look like it's hurting anything but results are just as good as with the external flashes that I've used with the dslr.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll have more chances to use this camera but for now it's mostly just test snap shots so I can get to know this camera better. So far I'm getting the hang of this camera, the tri navi thing is just brilliant making it a breeze to change settings.

In short, this camera rocks! Yeah the low light performance isn't that great and might be noisier than the 5n as others have said. I'm not a pixel peeping tom nor do I use charts and stuff to measure the performance or whatever it is they do. I bought this camera because I love how it feels and handles. Such a breeze to use. Photography is such an expensive hobby lol Good luck to those who are still searching or waiting for their 7, the wait is worth it emoticon :)

Here are a few pics I took with the Zeiss 24mm 1.8 lens. All pics were resized and are straight out of the camera, except for the one with the dog and girl which I used auto level.

Here's one using the miniature art filter lol

2. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Nice eval. I too have D7000, and LX5, which is still the pocket champ vs. the larger lens on the NEX-7. I really have to watch that video button though. Looking forward to the 50 1.8 and many a used 16 pancake.
  3. DjordjeJ

DjordjeJ TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 13, 2012
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Thanks for Your impression. NEX-7 seems like very good camera.
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ

Thanks for the details and your thoughts. I am happy with my "classic" NEX-3 at the moment, but hope to pick up a 7 towards the beginning of next year.

While not normal a fan of "artistic" filters i think I could have fun with the miniture one.
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Great post! I appreciate the Zeiss samples because I am strongly considering this lens. Just having a hard time finding the $1k.
  6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    very good pictures, I love the 4, I would have wait by nex7,anyway with nex5n, I'm very happy
  7. lowincash

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Yeah $1k is a lot for this lens, maybe if it was a f1.4 then that would be better considering the canon or nikon 1.4 prime is around this price or maybe couple hundred dollars more. It's a great lens but expensive. I couldn't justify spending $1k on this lens but every time I use it I like it more and more and in the end might be worth it. This lens goes so well with the 7 too.
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    This is making me more impatient waiting for my NEX 7 order to arrive ;)

Nice set and great working overview mate.
  9. jebuskrust

jebuskrust TalkEmount Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Limassol, Cyprus
    oh my oh my, i am blown away by the colours on the 2nd picture.
  10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Looking very nice, enjoy your 7
  11. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    great shots & thanks for your review. I'll have to watch out for that
    movie button as I always hit the one on my GH1 (I turned it off)
  12. lowincash

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Actually I've accidentally hit the record button twice already lol One time I recorded around 3 minutes of me walking around with the camera pointed all over the place.

I wish there's an option to turn it off, but unfortunately there's none =/ Hopefully a firmware update will address this issue.
  13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I have done that a few times as well on the 3. the placement is great when you want to get a video going quickly, but kind of a bad spot when you don't. An option to keep it off would be nice.
  14. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I naturally place my thumb near that area to balance the camera at times when I take my left hand off the lens, so I've accidentally recorded several times already. Not the exact same spot as the 7 but I'm having the same issue on the 5N.