1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My Nex 5 shots

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by elandel, Apr 12, 2012.

1. elandel

elandel TalkEmount Regular

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Here are some shots I took last weekend with my Nex 5. All are jpegs straight OOC and only resized for posting. Some are with kit lens, other with Nikon 100mm 2.8 AIS - great lens.

Attached Files:

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    You're still learning? Well, we all are, but some are further on the journey to a photographer than others. ;) No offense intended. Just try to improve your composition. And have fun with your NEX-5!

3. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    You are right but these are not artistry and I did not care about composition, I only wanted to see what the camera was capable of.

4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, I personally wouldn't share such pictures (which I just take to look how the camera works) - and I wouldn't ignore the rule of thirds (and some other things to consider) in the first place, regardless of why I take these pictures. But yeah, like I said, no offense intended. Just show us some artisty pictures when you make your next tour. :)

5. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    No offense don't worry. In this trip my only goal was to try the 5 after buyiny it so I just shot at what I saw. My main system is m4/3 so I'm sharing to have opinions on colour, sharpness ecc., because I read many bad things about Nex and instead I think it renders well.

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Bad things about NEX? Must be a M4/3 forum. ;) Really, the color rendering, high ISO capability and sharpness is great. Even the often misregarded pancake renders beautifully - it just isn't too sharp. Nothing wrong with NEX if you like the camera/lens-design.

7. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Thats exactly why I posted these shots; to have tips on improving colour ecc. because this is the first time I use the Nex camera. Another reason is I don't shoot raw, only jpeg because I don't like PP.

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Okay, then maybe write this in the opening post next time. ;)

Which program do you use for pp? I mean in general. With Aperture it's a great experience and rather fun than work, and it really can help your photos. If you like I could post a before/after comparison of what I did in Aperture to some jpegs (I usually shoot RAW, but there were several shots where the jpegs were sufficient).

Second: If possible, use the kit zoom at 24 - 28mm, not at 18. It get's a lot sharper and it gets rid of all the distortion you can see in the third shot. And you probably know that, but just to say it: stop the kit zoom down to about f/8 if you don't intend shallow dof and there's sufficient light. At 24mm f/8 it's razor sharp.

Color: Yeah, the color and contrast rendering is okay to great (depending on the lens), but without pp you won't get the most out of it.

9. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    I don't use any program for pp because as I wrote I just don't do it; for me too much time and in any case I'll have to learn how to use it. I know that I kind of miss much of what photos can give without pp, but for me it's ok. Obviously nothing is for ever in life;) so who knows? If I find a very easy program to learn and use, and I bond with it, I may change my mind.

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    That's a mistake, and you'll say that yourself as soon as you're "good" in pp - you just can't imagine how much color information are hidden in those NEX-5/5N/7 RAW-files until you tried to get the most out of them.

11. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    I'm absolutly sure about that, only I'm too lazy to learn yet another program, if you have suggestions on a very, very easy program I should appreciate.

12. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Even freeware for me it's not a problem.

13. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I'm not sure if the NEX5's firmware has the "Lens Comp.: Distortion" feature built-in.

If it has, the 18mm kit zoom setting can be used with confidence (same for the 16mm pancake). Pic below is with the feature in OFF position and as you can see the barrel distortion is quite evident at the 18mm setting.

distortoff.

When "Lens Comp.: Distortion" is switched-on to AUTO, the camera (in my case the 5N) recognizes which lens and focal length is being used and the built-in software containing the inherent distortion data of that particular focal length makes the correction instantaneously (after the photo is taken and before it is written on the memory card). Pic below shows the same pic with the feature on AUTO.

distortauto.

I have my Nex set-up all the time as per below, and I haven't noticed any lag when shooting in continuous mode.
    Lens Comp.: Shading = Off
    Lens Comp.: Chro. Aber. = Auto
    Lens Comp.: Distortion = Auto

It's a very impressive capability, which can save a lot of in post processing correction time.

14. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Thanks. I'll check better to se if the 5 has this feature.

15. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    No, the "old" NEX-3 and NEX-5 don't have this feature. As for Software, I'll edit some links in later when I've got time.

16. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Must go for 5n then.:D

17. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Although you probably mean it sarcastic, just to say: don't do that just for software correction. Yeah, the 5N has some advantages, but as long as you don't want to use it as a video camera or shoot in the dark all the time it's definitely not worth the upgrade.

18. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    I'm not sarcastic, I'm only joking because I already owned a 5n.

19. tdekany

tdekany TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Portland OR
    I appreciate your pictures. One day I'll get a NEX camera.

20. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Thanks, its a good camera.