My New Purchase

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ChangshaNotes, May 16, 2013.

1. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Where I live, there's a serious problem with humidity. As my lens collection has grown, I've been worried about fungus on the lenses I don't use often. So I picked up a 'Dry Box'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The humidity level in my house showed 90%, overnight the dry box has dropped it down to 55%. I'll probably level it off somewhere about 40%.

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Nice. Congrats. This should increase the life span of the goodies!!

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I had no idea such things even existed. Interesting. And when you go to unload those lenses on ebay, you can say: "Lens has been stored in a low-humidity environment." Cool.

4. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I'd never heard of them either except for cigar cases until I moved here. Good place to keep medicines and spice powders too.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice item, not really an issue here in the desert.

6. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I got a dry box when I bought my 18-200, it is actually a necessity in the tropics!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

7. manateeman90

manateeman90 TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 29, 2012
    that looks awesome! how much do one of those things cost?

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Depends about looks. Air tight plastic container (but not made from thin polyethylene) and some silica gel doesn't cost much and is pretty good for long term storage. Good quality humidor (with propylene glycol switched to silica gel) will cost several hundreds and climate chamber several thousands.

9. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    This one is out of Taiwan. It cost me about $100 US although there were cheaper options out of China. I'm in mainland China and I don't know how prices for these kind of things compare overseas. Most electronics like cameras, lenses, computers etc are much more expensive here (for the real thing) than in the States but that's generally due to import tax.

I only started using a digital camera last year August and while the humidity was really high, I didn't worry about it as I only had a couple of lenses that I was using everyday. It's getting pretty bad already here though so with more lenses, I thought I better not take any chances. We can mould growing up the walls here. I agree with quezra that it's pretty much a necessity.

The box is 68 litres. The 2 shelves slide out and theres a simple locking mechanism. It took about a day but now the humidity level is at 40% which I think is fine. I really didn't need this size for the camera equipment I own but I doubt I will have less lenses a year from now. :eek:

You can see in my sig what I have. The wife thinks I picked up the used 5n with kit for her.

10. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Y'all can stop showing off now. I'd be in more need of thermally insulated storage here in Blighty! Looks pretty neat though Colin ;)

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice one Colin!!!
    Never knew something like this existed, lol :D

Lately I'm too worried about how to store my not so often used lenses...hmm

12. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Tell you what teefin, I'll trade you Julys. Mine is going to average over 40ÂșC everyday with 100% humidity.

13. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Ok, you win!.....but I wouldn't mind just a few sunny days here and there. :)