My most used adapted Canon FDn lenses on an NEX-7 (using a CIECIO7 adapter)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by roundball, Sep 11, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    With my interests being outdoors / nature / wildlife, if I could only have a few lenses, these would be the ones I'd keep.
    In spite of being all manual, they've proven to be solid performers for my needs on the NEX-7 and cover a wide range of focal lengths from 24-400mm.
    Have never enjoyed the photography hobby, or the quality of the results, as much as I have since getting back into it last year with the NEX-7, and particularly so by being able to reengage whatever Canon FDn lenses I already had, that I'd saved all those years from the '80s.

CANON FDn 24-35 / 3.5-L

View attachment 49917

CANON FDn 35-105 / 3.5

View attachment 49918

CANON FDn 80-200 / 4.0-L

View attachment 49919

CANON FDn 300 / 4.0-L

View attachment 49920

CANON FDn 400 / 4.5

View attachment 49921

• Like Like x 5
  2. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I need a mop...too much drooling!
    Wow, I dream of having most of those...specially those red liners...so sexy! Great collection. :)

3. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Wow ! Have a faulty 35-105. Blades would not close nor open. Have to open it and try to fix it by myself. Any experience so far with FD zooms ? Asked for repair in a shop but this will cost me even more than the lens itself...

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de TalkEmount

4. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I sold one 35-105mm on ebay that was stuck wide opened as I could only find one youtube video but the guy told me it will not be the same for the Zoom and yeah, the local stores wanted more than I paid for it. :/
    Still, the good thing about the 3 versions of that lens I got before is that they all 3 looked fantastic so I was lucky at least in that regard.
    Good luck with it. :)

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    No, sure don't...and I know my limitations...I'll tear down / rebuilt an engine and have it pop off first time...but getting inside something like a camera lens, I would leave to somebody that knows what they're doing or buy a replacement.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    And the good news is the 35-105mm and the 400mm both produce "L" class IQ as far as I'm concerned...both are outstanding lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Indeed! I bought the 35-105mm because of those same comments I read, many people calling it a collection of prime lenses :)
    I still would love to get that 24-35mm although having a 24mm F2.8 already I am not so sure if I should and how it will compare in IQ. And of course the legendary 80-200 f4L is a no brainer.

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    IMO, the 24-35/3.5-L is at least as good as the 80-200-L...it's just blown me away and is why I'm also starting to sell off some other lens in the 24/28/35 range...too many that I simply no longer use.

• Like Like x 1
  9. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Thats all the recommendation I needed! Thanks :)

10. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Just think: the 20-35mm that replaced it is even better.

• Like Like x 1
  11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I think you have things pretty well covered:)

12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Took a lifetime to get here but I'm getting done in retirement !

• Like Like x 1
  13. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Got that 35-105 because of its reputation but saddly fell on a cheap copy...sometimes I'm fed up
    carrying so many primes ! Could get another one for 109€ from a shop to be sure it works fine this time. Hesitating...

14. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Maybe that shop or a repair shop would at least give you a little something for it on trade-in...then they could use it for parts, or fix it and resell it, or something

15. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    good idea !