• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

My most difficult shot, ever

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Top Veteran
My most difficult shot, ever !
And why was this the most difficult shot I have ever done ?
No, not because of the light conditions but instead when the result came out of the printer.
When you show or print an image of a landscape the colours may not be correct, imperfect... but when it comes to portraits the "think" is far more difficult even having all those basic parameters solved like calibrated monitor, printer profiled to the paper and so on.
I have printed 6 copies and still I don't like the final result ! Shame on me !
The light was really, really terrible and I should have used the grey card which I was carrying in the bag but did I remember such thing ? No ! :blush:

i-RCZCKmS-X4.jpg
ILCE-7M3    FE 24mm F1.4 GM    24mm    f/2.0    1/60s    ISO 200

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Antonio...
If you shot this image in RAW and opened it in Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) you might have been able to get a lose approximation of proper (or pleasing) color balance by using the color balance tool on the man's white coat. I realize that a white coat may not be exactly white but, it would be a close approximation. I often get a close color balance with the color balance tool on my dogs white coat...
What bothers me a bit about this portrait, however, is the OOF sunglasses and OOF eye picture in the foreground. I might have increased the ISO to get a larger depth of field. IMO the A7iii can easily produce a clean image at ISO 800 or even 1,600 which would have allowed an f/stop of f/5.6 or f/8... Or, you might have shot this to avoid the foreground by using a longer focal length.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Richard, thank you for commenting. :)

I do have the RAW file but even after trying - and I can tell you that I do have tried - to adjust the WB I just couldn't ! Shame on me, perhaps. :whistling:
Never mind: lesson learned. Now the Color Checker Passport is in the bag.

Regarding the OOF sunglasses which I should have removed but forgot at the moment (they are mines).
I can tell you that even before going in I adjusted the aperture. I do like shallow DOF ! And with eye focus... OMG !

Then I pushed one of the buttons of the GM and there it was: the focus on the eye of the subject !

I couldn't use another focal length because the 35 was the only one. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom