My Moon Attempt

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by dbmiller, Aug 7, 2012.

1. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Must be something about being so far North. I can't get the 55-210 to fill as much of the frame as other people have been able to do.

Full Frame:
    20120804 Moon FF.

100% Crop:
    20120804 Moon.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Nah, that looks about right for the 55-210. Great exposure on this. Based on the position of the crater at the bottom, you must be fairly east of me (Washington state).

3. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    . the 55-210 works fine

4. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Just a bit East... New England :)

5. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Photo still looks good tho... :)

[HR][/HR]

I recently saw a cable TV doco about the 'size & scale' of space.

I was surprised how far the moon really is in relation to its size and that of the planet earth. If the earth was the size of a basketball, the moon would be the size of a tennis ball, 21 feet (6.4 meters) away!

The distances in between the planets in our solar system is even more staggering!

If we downsize the planet earth even further to about the size of a small 1/8" inch (3mm) plastic bead... the sun would be the size of a bowling ball... which would be 93 feet (28.3 meters) away!

Jupiter being the largest planet would be about the size of a regular lollipop, 484 feet (147.5 meters) away from the bowling ball.
    Slightly smaller, Saturn would be about the size of a glass marble, 886 feet (270 meters) from the bowling ball.
    Uranus about the size of a large pea, is 1800 feet (548.6 meters) from the bowling ball.
    Neptune about the size of a mini marble is half a mile (0.8 of a kilometer) away from the bowling ball.

Boy, I really got it wrong when I helped my kids build a solar system model for their school project, lol! :eek: