My MD 28-85 Lens is here

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Jul 29, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Hi all,
    today I got the 28-85 Minolta second hand lens.
    Unfortunately my camera's body is on service and I can not test the lens directly. Few question to ask

1. I have noticed that when I go from 28 to 85 the lens gets shorter. In my SEL1855 lense is the opposite when I go from 18 to the 55 the lens gets longer. Would that be normal for the MD lens?

2. The smallest aperture printed on the ring is 3.5. is this achievable through the 28-85 or is it only valid for the 28?

3. When I am moving the ring from 28-55, as I said the lens gets shorter but from 55-85 I can not see the lens becoming even shorter. I guess in that case the lens is doing the needed changes internally. Does my thinking here hold?

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply

2. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI

(1) Yes, my MD35-70 does the same thing.
    (2) I think your lens is 3.5-4 but I am not sure. Try setting it to 85mm and see it you can still set the aperture to 3.5 ?
    (3) I am pretty sure that's the case.
  3. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    2)Yes it is still there. I set it up at 3.5 and when going from 28-85 I can not see any difference
  4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Does exposure time increase when zooming to 85mm?

If entrance pupil is limiting factor it shows up as slight increase of exposure time when zooming to longer focal length.