My m43 mistake

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dixeyk, Dec 28, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I think I over thought this and have ended up making a rather expensive misstep. Like a lot of us I have voiced my dissatisfaction with the AF on the NEX. Since I am primarily a user of legacy lenses I haven't really been feeling the need to move to a different system. I picked up an X10 to have as a fun go anywhere camera. My 5n is small but the Rokkors on it can be a big large and in the case of my 24/2.8 quite heavy. There are some times when I need or want AF and I did the whole Sigma 30 route but it didn't really end up something I used a lot. I like the lens and think it's a terrific bargain but it got very little use. To that end I bought a Panasonic G3 and Sigma 19 and 30. The G3 was cheap at $249 NEW for the body and the lenses were less than $300 for the set (used). I had heard that the Sigmas AF very quickly on m43 and it seemed like a nice solution. The G3 and lenses are set to arrive today and I realize that the X10 is doing everything I wanted the G3 for and doing it pretty well. It has fast AF, the images look great, I can do macros, the lens is really quite good and at 2.0-2.8 it's fast enough for most of what I need it for. In RAW I think the X10 produces images that aren't that far off of 1st generation m43 images. Add to that the fact that the X10 is small and feels great in the hand and I'm here wondering what the heck I need the G3 for. I'm sure is a fine camera but I just don't see that I need it. I had even thought the G3 would be a better platform for my long telephotos but I am even rethinking that idea.

I think I might just return the G3 and lenses without even opening the boxes. It'll cost me about $10 in return postage but I guess I can consider that my stupidity tax. :eek:

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    That happens to people who are not satisfied with their NEX. :rolleyes:

Jokes aside, as long as you can return it, it's probably the best solution. I'd never buy into two different camera systems (fixed lens cameras not included). It's simply too expensive in the long run. NEX AF will get faster, more pancakes will come - and until then, the X10 or RX100 or RX1 should be fine.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I've certainly burned myself for a lot worse than $10!

4. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    If you're not fully (and I mean FULLY) thrilled and happy with your purchase, send it back NOW.

5. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    The g3 is lovely if you're down with m43. I found it good, but dreary. If you plan on one specific lens; oly 45 or panny 20.....25 if you're flush, it's a great move. Financially though the x10 probably puts paid to that. I loved the oly epm1 (go figure) but even though it was a cheap body, it would never come close to the 5n without muchos dinero being thrown at it :)

6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I think that part of the problem I am having is that there are only a few m43 lenses that I REALLY like. The PL45 and the PL25 and they're both pretty speedy. I don't care for the Olympus 45 at all. I had two of them and IMHO they feel really cheaply made and the MFD feels like it's about thirty feet ( know it's not). I also found that the images form the Olympus 45 looked very clinical to me. I like some of the camera bodies but I am not seeing what I will be gaining other than fast AF and and articling LCD by having the G3. Right now it's not seeming like it's enough to justify a second system.

7. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I may not even unpack them.

8. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Thattaboy ;)

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Sounds to me like you need some good antacid to quell all the GAS that you've got...;)

10. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    The MFD is what I hated about the Olympus 45 as well - I know it's a 'portrait' lens but I don't use that focal length for portraits much but mainly for other things and I like to get in close. I could live with the build quality (Sony Alpha Mount primes are no better in that regard!) but I think being plastic the silver colour makes it look and feel a bit cheap and naff. Never tried the PL45 or PL25 (bit too pricey for me) but I do like the P20 a lot and that's why I still regularly use my G3. :)

11. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Not really, I think the GAS is done for. It's just a case of whether or not I return the G3 and lenses or keep it. Either way I'm not picking up any new gear. The G3 should be here shortly.

12. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The PL45 was great. That lens alone is why I didn't chuck the GX1 as soon as I got the NEX. What I noticed about the Olympus 45 is that it didn't wear particularly well. The focus ring looked dingy and dinged even with pretty light use. I'm sure it was fine functionally but it didn't present well. I liked the P20 a lot and IQ wise it was so close to the PL25 that I think it is a much better buy. Maybe I'll keep the G3 and use it occasionally. It can be the camera I loan out to family and friends because I don't want to hand over my 5n or X10 to them.

13. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    So you're going to stick with the X10 then?

14. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I was going to keep the X10 either way.

15. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    It's a good camera from what most folks seem to be saying about it :)

16. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    So the G3 and Sigma 30 arrived. I gingerly took the G3 out of it's box loaded the battery and tried it out. I left everything else untouched and neither the bag with the camera in it or the battery were sealed. My impressions are...

- The Sigma is FAST to AF on the G3. I wish it were half that fast on the NEX. In whatever light, whatever subject it locks on instantly. It's very nice.
    - The G3 is a lot better made than I would have thought. It's better made than the G2 and GH2. The body feels mostly metal and the grip is somewhat rubbery.
    - The G3 body is small and operating the controls is a pain. It's a bit too small as my hands cover the buttons when I hold it and without a wrist strap I would drop it. I could probably get used to it.

Overall the body and lens are both well made, work as advertised and are I am feeling pretty strongly that I don't need either one. I'm going to sleep on it.

17. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I have zero complaints about the X10. It's small, sexy and if you are willing to work with it produces nice results. It's not a set it and forget it type camera but I like it a lot.

18. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    If I had the chance to do it all over again,
    I think I'd get the X10 over my XZ-1...

19. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    There is something about the X10 that is very appealing. It's not the best camera I have (at anything) but there is certain something about it that is VERY appealing. It looks just like my Konica Auto S3. It does a lot of things well, it feels great in the hand and the controls are really well placed.

This is an example of the IQ

8320286844_a291560c60_b.
    Waiting Game by dixeyk, on Flickr

8301551892_ed03ef8f85_b.
    Egg by dixeyk, on Flickr

8313420392_fc3c5ef630_b.
    Carnation by dixeyk, on Flickr

20. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I was tempted to get the Sigma 30mm for my G3 now that they are so cheap (£106 in the UK) but am worried I may find a 60mm equivalent focal length a bit odd. The 45mm equivalent on a Nex is perfect for me, but not so sure about 60mm equiv. Will have to set my Nex kit lens to 40mm or my m43 one to 30mm and see how I get on.

I use an Octopus wrist strap with my G3 - I also feel like I would drop it without one.

The buttons are a bit small on the G3 but for me are usable whereas the Olympus Pen ones and dial were so small as to be almost unusable. The Nex cameras have the edge though here, I find the Nex grip, rear control wheel/dial and buttons to be just right and better than any of the m43 cameras. I do like the rear thumb dial on the G3 (although it's also a bit too small, but usable) as an easier way to quickly change aperture or exposure compensation without removing your eye from the evf.