1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

My little blogpost on Peaking.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by nianys, Sep 14, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
  2. korn_2956

korn_2956 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Your writing makes me want to keep reading, keeps me interested. You could write about politics or something and i wouldn't be able to stop reading. Berry nice blog, thank you. Hope you get your adapter soon,i know how you feel. I ordered one and first they sent me the wrong one, and then the second time i was wrong again so i got a refund and ordered from someone else. The crappy part is they were for adapting to m4/3 so i can't even use them.

3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks, great post. I've fallen in love with manual, and I never had much chance to shoot on old manual lenses! I think you could have taken the horse riding analogy a bit further, manual shooting really forces you to hold the camera very gently but deliberately, so you get to know your camera in a new tactile way rather than standing at arms length and pressing a dial and button. There is that je ne sais quoi in the successful shots because of that too!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

4. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Oh, those are very kind words, thank you very much ! I used to write for a living so I guess it helps, however English not being my mother tongue sometimes makes things a little harder, but I guess it also gives a certain flavor to the blog.
    I'm sure the adapter will get here eventually, in the long run one learns patience is the most useful of all virtues, lol. Please feel free to keep checking the blog, it's highly motivating to actually be sharing impressions with readers.

5. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France

Horse analogies can apply to a lot in life, lol, but I try to keep them scarce as I try not to appear as that horse fanatic and bore my readers to tears. I entirely agree with you (and I guess most manual focus enthusiasts feel the same way) that willingly giving up autofocus is a global experience, so highly satisfying because it forces us to approach our photography and cameras totally differently. One has to be much more humble and dedicated in his approach when shooting manual, you can't take the shot for granted, you have to get seriously involved to get it. You can't rely on firing a quick burst of shots either and sorting out the best later, at least not how I shoot, which is using very fast longish primes and almost always wide open. Critical focus has bo be fine tuned for every single shot, which slows down the whole process and makes one much more careful about validating a frame. Is this look right ? Is that expression really what I'm after ?
    I'm certainly not saying manual focus is the Graal of photography, or some kind of enlightened activity reserved to the best. Autofocus is absolutely fantastic and allows shots that simply wouldn't have been captured without it. But going all manual for a while is certainly a sobering and probably thoroughly useful venture for any photogrpher. I can safely say that you are bound to be a better photog' if you try that for a while. If nothing else you'll be a better technician. And you mind find a few art related answers about yourself along the way as well.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

A well written article. I too enjoy the manual focus ability and the way it makes you think about your shot a bit more.

As a former ranch hand I love anything to do with horses, keep it up.

About the only time I grab the stock lens is when I plan on capturing a few videos.

The only critique is that your article tends to end a bit abruptly. A nice wrap up would have been nice. Other than that, nice work.

7. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Hmm, sorry about the brutal end. Either I suddenly ran out of inspiration, or I was running late and had to get going. Those posts about my NEX impressions and manual focus in particular are just a series, really, so they're bound to finish quickly and be picked up with the next one.
    Which is here :

More manual focus fun | itsnotthecamera

8. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Those Oly lenses are real gems. They look really cool and unmistakably Olyumpus.

[HR][/HR]

"I know, I’m very, VERY weird. Chicks usually love designer purses and expensive shoes. I love lenses. Go figure."

I can appreciate the horse-riding analogy... but the legacy lens vs womens shoes analogy sounds rather scarey. Women who are into shoes buy hundreds of pairs!

9. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Hmm.. not in the undreds territory yet, but already quite scary. I had to refrain myself today to get the same Auto Reflecta 55/1.7 I had before, and succeeded ONLY by bidding (and buying) on an Hexagon 50/1.7 instead. Damn... Now have two extra adapters on the way, m42 and AR. PLease, please, I want to stop ;-)

I do like the OM's but don't think they'll stay once I've tried a bit of all and decide to keep only what I use the most. They might go in the buy&sell section in a near future.