My LE Project "Pic a month"

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by NickCyprus, Jun 1, 2015.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'm starting a project to keep me motivated with my attempt of learning long exposure photography.

I've decided to take/post one photo at least every month (will try for one every week) for one year starting 1st week of June 2015. I will also share my user experiences with every photo that I post in an effort to get help/tips to improve.

All the photos will be from the same place, my "secret" favourite location (I'll write some details about the place next week).

Nothing excellent to see with my photos but I do hope to learn in the process :)

#1 - 1st week of June 2015 (19:30)
    17736165703_4828ae9c14_c. DSC06922 by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

Nex-6 with MD 24-35 f/3.5 @ 24mm, f/8, ISO 100, 121 sec with 5-stops ND filter

Ok, its my 3rd time I've visited this place and I've actually captured this scene before but not in Long Exposure but this is how I visualize it from the first time I saw it.

I've decided to use my widest adapted lens, the Minolta MD 24-35 f/3.5 because the last few days I've been really frustrated with my (only) native lens (the 18-105 G) not been able to get good focus on far away objects (infinity focus) in scenes like this - Focus was off, I got unsharp photos not only because of the cheap ND filters but also cause I had to use smaller apertures (f/16>), also probably cause I left OSS on, and got light leaks but this time I use duct tape on the adapter mount and EVF. The resulting photo above is still a bit soft (cheap NDs) but its much better from before IMO. Focus to infinity is so much easier with the Minolta rather than with the 18-105 were there is no stop to indicate when infinity focus is reached (the focus ring just turns and turns). Unfortunately the sky was very clear with no clouds :( (typical for our summers here) and I wish the boat wasn't there though (its blurry cause it was moving)

Constructive criticism welcomed ;)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 11
  2. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    It's a really nice atmosphere. I like the curves of the dock directing the eye toward the line between the two islands. But I feel that the boat competes for attention with those lines and makes the composition less effective. What if the boat were much farther away and on course toward that same convergence point? That's not easy for the photographer to control of course!
    Feel free to critique my critique.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Love the composition and colors, Nick. And I bet, with a little time and patience, it wouldn't be too hard to clone that boat right outta there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Not as bad as you say Nick. The exposure is good and I like the compo. I'm enjoying your LE shots. If you don't mind, I would try a few things.
    The 18-105 can achieve infinity. When you set it to manual and turn the dial there should be a scale that appears in the EVF and screen; it should show the infinity symbol when reached. That said, for this shot I would try hyper-focal to get those prominent foreground elements (wood, pebbles, etc) sharp. Many times getting the foreground sharp is the key since people see things closer to them better than things farther away so it seems natural. It will also add to the sense of depth.
    Lastly, how sturdy is your tripod? Invest in a good one if you plan to shoot a lot of LE. It really matters.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks! Your observations/suggestions regarding the composition are totally right but as you say unfortunately I had no control of the boat :(

Thanks David!
    I just don't have the skills for such post processing work :)

6. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Appreciate you taking time to comment Gary and thanks for the kind comments and suggestions too!
    Means a lot to me, since as you probably know I'm a big fan of your work ;)

I'll make sure to try hyperfocal next time :thumbsup:
    My tripod is ok-ish but another issue with this particular shot was that the pier that the camera/tripod was standing on was not very sturdy itself - it was moving a little since it's a self made pier as you can see :D

7. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Really like the mood of this shot! If I could suggest one thing it would be not to trust the hard infinity stop on your lens as many lens's can focus beyond infinity.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Good observation! Especially since I'm using an adapter with it - didn't thought of it...
    Thanks for the kind comment :)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Nick, I like the idea since I also like LE shots. There is so many tutorials on youtube you can watch and learn from.
    I wished I'd be able to produce images like Joel Tjintjelaar ones and that's why I got a copy of his book. To be honest I am not sure I am skilled/patient enough yet for such type of photograph but one day maybe.
    Nonetheless, this ebook has many relevant general advices that I would be happy to share. So do not hesitate to send me a PM and I'll try to make it available for you.
    Looking forward to seeing your progress.

10. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks for the comments Yiannis!

I'm familiar with Joel Tjintjelaar and his LE work (read his blog/LE tutorials many times) - he's truly amazing!!!
    Thanks for the kind offer too :)

And I strongly disagree when say that YOU are not skilled enough for such work - you are an inspiring photographer IMO and I always admire your Long Exposure - and not only- work :thumbsup:

11. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Ok, week number 2 is here and today again I visited the place. Basically same time as before (19:15-19:45 - just as the sun begins to set)
    I had something else on my mind to photograph today but that photo didn't work out very good so I changed subject and I'm posting two photos cause they are basically of the same theme/composition plus this way I get a pass if I miss a week :D

18384140710_b88924a890_c. DSC06936 by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

18384647590_69d8e1cbc2_c. DSC06934-2 by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Is the long rock formation looking thing on the right side of the 2nd photo a natural thing, or man made?

13. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I think they are man-made. There are two three along this beach. I think they made them to reduce the force of the waves coming in...

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thought it looked too uniform to be natural but I couldn't tell for sure, was just curious, thanks

15. jeffmurray

jeffmurray TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Great idea Nick. I try and get out every week. The idea of mastering a particular aspect of photography is excellent too. I really need to focus on the long exposures. I have hardly used my Lee Big Stopper. All the best with this, I hope you enjoy it.

16. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks Jeff!
    Hoping I shoot some good photos this weekend too

Yup, Lee filters is also what I want to invest in
    Hey maybe you can sell me your Lee Big Stopper, lol :D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  17. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    After some more research it seems I was wrong...the rock formations on this deserted beach are indeed natural and NOT man-made :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Week no.3 didn't produce any worth posting photos...not ideal weather conditions (windy etc)

Week #4 and here's two from today

19032717921_ff8ae34b64_c. DSC07000 by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

19024432372_a5a628fa9c_c. DSC06998 by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

Unfortunately for me, as August approaches, this beach seems to attract more people every day...
    Usually I barely see a soul during my visits but I saw at least 4 groups of people today that were camping there

• Like Like x 5
  19. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Lovely shots so far, Nick. I don't know which ND filters you're using but I'm happy with my BW and Haida screw-in filters. I've noticed some slight color shifts, especially with the darker BWs but nothing serious. Keep it up!

20. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks Ken!
    For now I'm just using some cheap no name square NDs but looking to invest in something of better quality soon (like a Lee little and big stopper)