• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

My informal a6000 opinion

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
Interesting, I can't shoot from the screen, even with focus peaking. Especially in bright sunlight. I'm the opposite, not comfortable unless there's an EVF.
Aside, the X-10 above looks very interesting.
Same here!!! The evf was THE most important reason I sold my 5 to get a 6 - after that I said not another camera without a viewfinder :)

Nexnut

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Same here!!! The evf was THE most important reason I sold my 5 to get a 6 - after that I said not another camera without a viewfinder :)
Yep. I prefer a standard viewfinder over those screw-on or pop-up thingies too. The first couple NEXes were a lot of fun though - great sensors, ...loads of potential and the reason to ditch Nikon after more than 25 years. To each one his/her own.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Interesting, I can't shoot from the screen, even with focus peaking. Especially in bright sunlight. I'm the opposite, not comfortable unless there's an EVF.
Aside, the X-10 above looks very interesting.

I can appreciate that. I am definitely not the norm when it comes to EVFs. I think it was because for the past three years I had no EVF so I simply developed a method that works for me. Then when I finally had an EVF it just got in the way.

The Fuji X10 is a blast. It's a small sensor camera that you can really get some extraordinary results from if you work with it.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave

I as well was upgraded, (although I had the F3), to the NEX-6 primarily for the viewfinder. It is my preferred way to shoot, but I am not afraid of the viewscreen either.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Add me to the EVF-only crowd. Even my PnS (Sony RX-100 III) has one. But many of the images that you’ve posted here are close-ups, and they could be easier to shoot by holding the camera at arm's length and framing with the LCD. So your preference does make sense to me.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Add me to the EVF-only crowd. Even my PnS (Sony RX-100 III) has one. But many of the images that you’ve posted here are close-ups, and they could be easier to shoot by holding the camera at arm's length and framing with the LCD. So your preference does make sense to me.

I also like to shoot at add angles so the flip screen works really well for me. Back in the day when I shot m43 I LOVED the articulating screen on the Panasonic G bodies. I think my preference for using the LCD started after I developed a CSR in my right eye. My vision was distorted making the EVF a pain in the backside to use. I could switch to using my left eye but it always felt pretty clumsy but I found I could use the LCD+focus peaking pretty effectively. I got used to doing it and I would imagine my choice of doing a lot of closeups is partly out of preference and partly just working with what worked well for me. The vision in my right eye has pretty much returned to normal (except for some blurry patches) but my preference focusing using the LCD has remained.

WT21

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Kevin, I've been using my a6000 for a number of days now, and I'm super impressed. It's even re-sparked my interest in shooting. At first, I was just going to get it to work with my a7 on some events, but I find myself reaching for it quite a bit.

I hope to write up more impressions in a separate thread later, but I like it much better (at least based on memory) than my NEX-5n or 6.

Latest threads

Top Bottom