1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

My first week stint with the Sony A7!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by JonathanF2, Feb 11, 2016.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I picked up a Sony A7 last week and have been shooting it for the last several days, so far I like it a lot. I had an NEX-6 that's been languishing in comparison to my M43 kit that has been seeing the bulk of my shooting. I also have a nice collection of Nikon mount MF glass that I've collected over the years that hasn't been seeing much use, so I decided to swap out the NEX-6 for the A7!

Comparing the A7 versus my current E-M5 II, the A7 feels more like a barebones drag chassis with a big engine under the hood, while my E-M5 II feels like a rally car with all the tech inside it and a smaller turbocharged engine! Not sure that makes sense, but yeah! In terms of size the A7 is sized just right, in fact it feels like the maximum size for a small camera I'd go for.

I'm most likely going to stick to adapted glass for the A7 and use native lenses for my M43 kit. I'm not sure there are any lenses in the FE series that appeal to me and that have a good size/performance/price ratio. Also the A7 has some aspects that doesn't make it a good street shooter like the shutter sound and the EVF dropping frame rates in extreme low light (the E-M5 II in comparison maintains it's EVF FPS even in the dimmest conditions). I know the A7S has the silent shutter, but I haven't found a used body in my targeted price range yet! ;)

In regards to the shooting experience, the A7 is fairly simple and allows for an unfettered shooting experience. What it lacks in fancy features, it makes up as being quite unobtrusive. It's the closest digital camera to an old school SLR! Also the 1/8000th shutter is a nice welcome especially living in sunny Los Angeles.

Here are some pics! Shot with the A7 plus Voigtlander 20mm f/3.5 SL-II, 40mm f/2 SL-II and Nikon 50mm 1.8 AI-S 2-ring:

DSC00561.

temujin_hunter.

DSC00530.

DSC00703.

DSC00718.

DSC00711.

DSC00693.

DSC00686.

• Like Like x 18
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Looks like it is working well for you.

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount mobile app

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    i've owned the a7r for over two years, and i still don't have an fe-mount lens... you'll be fine with legacy glass, those pics prove it! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Congrats on the purchase and some very nice photos here too!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I think you're made a smart move!

Love the Voigtlander SLII lenses!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I've owned those lenses for awhile! I'm actually interested in trying the 58mm 1.4 Nokton, but it seems stock on that lens is in short supply!

• Like Like x 1
  7. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

The 58mm is a great lens. I miss my copy, but it's help me fund shooting large format film.

8. asylumfotox

asylumfotox New to TalkEmount

Feb 13, 2016
    I too went from the Nex6 to A7. imo all of the Sony lenses are overpriced. I have tried a wide range of adapted lenses from NIkon canon Ef and fd, Leica N and R, voigtlander, Contax (Zeiss). my favorite and quite compact lens with adapter is the Konica AR 40mm f1.8 which extends only 50mm from the camera body and weighs 225gms with adapter. I also have Canon FD 24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8. the FDs are bigger and heavier. But not by much. The FD 50mm f1.4 with adapter is 318 gms 62mm. Also good are Canon RF Lenses with Leica screw mounts. Another good lens I have, light and compact, is the Jupiter (Russian copy of Zeiss) 50mm f2 184 gms 44mm with adapter. Each of these lenses were purchased on ebay for under $100. If you need exif data My best experience has been with Canon EF Glass. The Canon Ef 40mm f2.8 STM with adapter is 230 gms 47mm Flange to front. My entire lens kit of 8 lenses with adapters cost less than a new Sony 50mm f2 Loxia. There are a lot of great choices with the brilliant Sony design. Every lens ever made for 35mm film Can be adapted and that means not having to pay a kings ransom for a full frame lens. Also if you have not yet discovered focus peaking is infinitely superior on the A7 vs NEX6..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  9. mnhoj

mnhoj TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    Nice images Jonathan.
    I like the drag rally car analogy too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Regular

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    As always, the images you take and post, both here and the Nikon Cafe, are excellent! You are a very accomplished photographer Jonathan! I think you would proceed great photos no matter what camera you had in your hands!

I purchased an A7ii and a 55 1.8, last November. I have a lot to learn but I really like it and I'm having FUN!!!!!

11. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Sometimes you can find the FE 28mm f/2 for cheaper on EBay, it seems like a good lens. Also the APS-C Sigma 30mm f/2.8 works surprisingly well on full-frame Alpha, if you haven't read about that yet.