• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

My first legacy MF lens has arrived!!!

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
Just received this from the post office today morning!!!
Sorry no photos yet since I'll have to wait another 2-3 weeks for my adapter to arrive...

Its a Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7 and I'm super excited to take some photos soon

---            

Special thanks goes to Claire aka "nianys" ;)

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Congrats! I feel your pain, my Vivitar 28/2 (OM mount) and Konica AR 40/1.8 are both sitting lonely in my cabinet because the free-shipping mounts take forever!

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
Ah, yes - the agony of waiting for the #&@% adapter to arrive. I know it well. :(

It will be over soon enough and then I think you're in for some fun. I like these old Minotas - they seem to have their own distinct vibe - "smoky" is the latest, best description I've come up with.

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Nick , I like this lens so much, and I kind of kicked myself in the ribs for sending away my like new copy while using a fungus one (lol) that I ordered another unit, from the previous series, with the same coatings, but metal build. Should have it this week.

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
And the LBA ( Lens Buying Addiction ) begins! ;)

Welcome to the wonderful world of manual focus legacy lenses. :)

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
CONGRATULATIONS
I have the same lens like you get now, Minolta Rokkor x 50mm f/1.7 and love it, is one of my favorites, offers great detail, contrast is very good despite its low price.

eno789

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Freddy, you should add these excellent shots to the Sample Archive.

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all !!!

As soon as I receive my adapter I'm gonna try it and post some pics ;)
This would be my first try with manual focus on a legacy lens (I've tried MF on Nex lens) so I'm mostly curious to see if I can do MF at all...

Q: I've seen some that write Minolta MD-Rokkor X and their aperture ring goes until f/16 (mine says just Minolta MD and goes to f/22). Did they make 2 versions of those?

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
I'm so excited for you Nick.

Most older lenses only stop down to f16. Most modern lens designs can go one stop smaller to f22. I'm guessing your edition is a later model of the same lens.

markoneswift

TalkEmount Veteran
I'm so excited for you Nick.

Most older lenses only stop down to f16. Most modern lens designs can go one stop smaller to f22. I'm guessing your edition is a later model of the same lens.
I'm thinking that the minimum aperture ability has got something to do with the frame size, although I may be wrong. An F/22 aperture would be OK on a crop size sensor, but I can't imagine it being much use on a 35mm full frame, hence why older 'full frame' lenses only stop down to F/16. Anyone know if I'm on the right track ?

markoneswift

TalkEmount Veteran
Oh man ! I've just rubbished my own theory ! I've just checked both of my Canon FD lenses and they go to F/22 !! So much for my knowledge of apertures and frame sizes :)

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the answers & links ;) :thumbup:

On another note, I'm suprised no-one noticed the blurred background, lol :p

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
F22 would not be of much use anyway though due to diffraction: Diffraction Limited Photography: Pixel Size, Aperture and Airy Disks
This is true for digital photography, and we have to be mindful that pre-digital lenses were designed for exposing film emulsions - where the 'angle of incidence' isn't as critical as that of digital sensors. This is the same reason why some ultra-wide legacy lenses are causing purple fringing on the NEX but never had this issue when used with film (the NEX7 sensor is especially vulnerable to this, with a higher array jammed into the same sensor area).

We can safely assume that native AF lenses are compensated for this and are designed specifically for exposing digital sensors. I use my SEL16 wide angle all the time on f22 and I've not had any diffraction issues with it.

Top Bottom