My first legacy lens! What next?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sleekdigital, Jun 4, 2013.

1. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    Based in part on things I have read here at these forums, I decided to try out an MF lens. For prime lenses, I already have the Sigma 19mm and 30mm, so I figured a 50mm would be the next logical step. The SEL50 1.8 looks really nice, but I've been spending too much money on gear so I figured going legacy might be a good way to wind down the spending spree :) I decided on the Minolta MD 50mm 1.7 which I found on ebay for about $30. So far, I'm really happy with it. Here are a couple shots from my nex 6 with the MD 50mm and an added Olympus mcon 35 close up lens.

BackyardFlowers0898 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    BackyardFlowers0907 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I think my next adapted lens will be a longer lens with macro focus capability. Maybe between 90 and 135mm range. Any suggestions that won't break the bank?

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    What next? Take it easy, I'm thinking about 10 lenses. If your addiction persists after that, there's no helping you.

A 100mm macro is very nice to have, but I use that sort of lens on a tripod mostly. Most brand names made a very nice 90mm or 100mm macro lens, you can't really go wrong with it. Watch for something with a decent price, less than $100. You can also pay $200+ for some 90mm lenses but personally I wouldn't do that (in fact, I have done it but sold them quickly enough afterwards).

4. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    If the 135mm length suits you then the Minolta MD 135mm 2.8 or 3.5 is the cheapest quality lens you can get today. It is very sharp and has beautiful saturated colours and rich contrast. You should be able to find it for $20-30 max.

Oh, and a good way to avoid succumbing to lens lust is to make a short list of lenses you need and sticking to it. Stop when you have ticked everything off.

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Totally agree, you can't go wrong with a Minolta MD 135mm. Avoid the earlier MC's, they have lower contrast.

6. sleekdigital

May 7, 2013
    Sounds great, but can it do macro / close focus ?

7. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    The closest focus is about four feet, which sounds far. But because of the magnification you will be able to take close shots of flowers, insects etc. It's really convenient to be able to reach stuff that you can't get close to physically.

Because the resolution is good you will be able to crop to a macroish feel. But to get true 1:1 macro, you need a dedicated macro lens and the ability to get physically close.

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that the closest focusing distance is about 1.5m so no close focus (135mm lenses seem to be pretty similar designs and this is true to most of them).
    You need 50 mm of extension to get from 1.5 m to magnification of 0.5 with 135mm lens. Focusing distance is 62 cm. May work for you. Won't probably work for copy work.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Congrats on the (very good) purchase!!! The MD 50 1.7 was my 1st legacy MF lens and still one of my favourites ;)

And +1 on what everybody else said about the addiction about MF lenses about to start, lol :D

10. suntoryjim

suntoryjim TalkEmount Regular

May 17, 2013
    The MD 50 1.4 is my first adapted NEX lens (I have small collection of legacy lenses that I am slowly working on re-adapting from M43 to NEX).

If you happen to find a 1.4 for cheap, I highly recommend getting one to augment your collection. My particular lens has this funky characteristic (which I think is common for all 1.4 lenses) wherein anything below F2.8 is dreamland...almost surreal looking with soft focus and haze. Open-up to 2.8 and you are magically transported back to reality. I call it my "lens with multiple personality disorder".

Welcome to the addiction!

11. sleekdigital

May 7, 2013
    You don't think the 1.7 can exhibit this characteristic wide open? I think I noticed it to some degree at least. Quite soft wide open then one click up and it sharpens up quite a bit.

12. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Like many people I got both the 50/1.4 and the 50/1.7. They are different to some degree. The 50/1.4 gives "cleaner" photos with a great 3D look to them. The 50/1.7 gives a fine feathery bokeh.

If you can get them cheap I recommend getting both. The 50/1.7 should be cheap as it is very common.

But for a second lens, I would recommend getting another focal length. For diversity.