1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

My first adapten lens is here. So here come the questions....

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Feb 15, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    this is my first legacy lens (Revue für Pentax 135mm 1:2,8 )
    and it looks very nice.

So this is the naive's guy questions

1. Is the nex body strong enough to hold such a heave any long lens?

2. I have changed from the camera options the RELEASE W/O LENS > ENABLE , otherwise was not able to take pictures. This is correct right?

3. I noticed that the auto iso options is not there any more... What I do with the iso settings? Mostly where to start setting it

4. I set apperture on my lense 2.8 but I could not find the option to set it in nex too. I was thinking that once I set apperture on the lens ring I need to do the same in nex, so nex "understand" what the apperture would be so to adjust the shutter speed automatically. Right now I could not find how to set that option in the body.

5. Does exposure work with adapted lenses?

6. Anything more in the options that once needs to change with these lenses?

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply

Regards
    Alex

2. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Set it as low as you can but at a level that will allow you to get an appropriate shutter speed for the chosen aperture. I find that I rarely go above 1600 but once in awhile up to 3200. Don't worry too much though, this camera handles those higher ISOs wonderfully
    4. Nope, set it on the lens only. The camera cannot recognize what the aperture is nor does it need to. The camera will still meter and help set the exposure by seeing the amount of light coming in.
    5. Yes
    6. No. Just set the mode you want to shoot in. (A)perture mode is common, set the aperture on the lens and the camera sets the shutter speed based on the ISO and how it meters. (M)anual gives you full control. (S)hutter allows you to set the shutter and the camera would normally set the aperture but since it can't, you do that as well. So really, shutter mode is pretty much like manual.

3. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    If you are worried about the lens weight, hold the camera by the lens when it's attached rather than by the body (eg when picking it up or carrying it) and in use hold the lens in your left hand (which is the hand you will use to focus) and the camera grip in your right hand obviously. Should be fine though - a 135mm should not be that heavy compared with say a big telephoto zoom - don't know how heavy the Revue (Revuenon?) is though. I think that lens might be made by Chinon - I have a 50mm f1.7 Chinon lens in Pentax PK mount which was so cheap it was almost free but it's actually pretty good! :)

Edit - this is the Chinon made version I think: http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/revuenon-auto-revuenon-135mm-f2-8.html

Looks like there are 2 other versions as well though, dunno who made them: http://www.pentaxforums.com/userrev...itledesc&si=revuenon+&showposts=0&firstpost=1

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    As it's not mentioned here: Turn off focus aid magnification and set peaking to high - this is a much better (if not the best way) to manually focus.

5. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Also can use the yellow peaking, works better, for me is the best.

6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    3. You don't have to use M (manual mode). You can use A (aperture priority) or S (shutter speed). if you use A or S then Auto ISO is available.

At least it is on the NEX-7.

7. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    It works that way on the NEX-6 also. I sometimes put on an old legacy long lens and set the mode to S(hutter) priority to make sure that the shutter speed is fast enough to avoid blur due to camera shake. With the camera set to Auto ISO mode, I control the depth of field with the lens aperture and the shutter speed is set to avoid problems due to shake. The camera automatically varies the ISO to give me correct exposure.

I could - and sometimes do -control all three variables in Manual mode when I want a specific "look", but most of the time I get what I want just letting the camera vary the ISO to control the exposure.

- Tom -

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    5. Exposure comp. only works with S and A mode with a lecagy lens

6. There are so many (small) parameters to change, but aperture, shutter speed, ISO and exposure compensation are the basic
    (examples: Choose the desired creative style and adjust its 3 options, White Balance, metering mode, flash comp. and flash mode, drive mode BUT you can adjust many of those things in PP afterwards anyways ;) )

I use Peaking in yellow and set to Mid - works great for me (I hardly use MF assist unless in difficult lighting situations)

9. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    1. Yes, although larger lenses (like my Hexanon 200 don't balance well). You can buy adapters with tripod mounts for heavier lenses

2. Yep, that's right.

3. Shooting in A, M or S mode and the camera auto selects ISO

4. You don't set aperture on the body. You set it on the lens just like you would on an old MF camera.

5. Exposure works fine.

6. Legacy lenses are pretty simple to use and you can easily go back and forth between MF and AF lenses without having to make any additional changes.

10. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks all!

Ok I tried with A or S mode and the camera indeed can adjust the iso. Even with the highest apperture 2.8 at my camera I get iso 3200 and shutter speed 1/40. I wanted to increase shutter speed as my pictures are all shaked.

A. It is not possible to enable the hand-shake protection my camera has (at display this is a palm with an off written).

And the technical questions of the stupid.

B. How my camera understands what is the apperture so to adjust iso and shutter speed?

C.As I can not change apperture, how apperture mode priority works? The camera does not know my set apperture how does it make the needed adjustmenets

11. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    On NEX cameras image stabilization is in the lens so not won't work on legacy lenses.

Meteing is through the lens so when you press the shutter half way it figures exposure based on the aperture on the lens. It works like an old manual focus camera. There is no need set aperture in camera.

12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    1/40 s is way too slow to use with a 135mm lens. I would go to at least 1/250 s and only if you have a steady hand; in such cases I prefer 1/500 s or 1/1000 s to be on the safe side.

Sony uses stabilization (shake protection) in their lenses. Only OSS lenses provide this option, there's nothing in the camera that provides shake protection. Olympus are the only mirrorless cameras with in-body stabilization.

The camera simply measures the light passing through your legacy lens to determine exposure. If you stop down the lens, the camera gets less light and adjusts shutter speed and/or ISO for the correct exposure. In A mode with a legacy lens the camera adjusts exposure by varying shutter speed and ISO (if on Auto ISO). In S mode the camera would try to adjust the aperture but it can't, so it can only vary ISO (if on Auto ISO). At least that's what happens on my NEX-6.

13. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    And which setting should I use as beginner? apperture or shutter priority? I guess shutter priority to not less shutter speed to be below 1/250 . Ι have also found that the 2.8 is not very fast lens :(

14. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I always use S mode with Auto ISO in such cases. Set the shutter speed at 1/250 s, set the lens at f/4 for better performance and fire away :).

15. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    +1 for S mode but I have ISO set manually according to the lighting conditions

16. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    I have to admit that I like it :)
    The shutter speeds of 1/250 and 1/500 remind me my first Zenith slr I had 15 years ago!

One question more is that I see that when I start increasing shutter speed the nex will start increasing iso (that makes sense). So it can start from iso 400 and nex start increases it as my shutter speed increase. I have noticed though that many times it does not go over 3200.... Even if my scene becomes so dark so I can not anymore see the iso stays stuck at iso 3200. Is there any reason that the nex decides to halt there?

Last hint of the night is: Which aperture I choose on the lens and why. Any short tutorial?
    Alex

17. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    My NEX-6 seems to have a limit of ISO 3200 as well. Other cameras let you choose the maximum ISO, not so with the NEX :mad:. Concerning the aperture to be used, it depends on the lens. Just make a series of pictures at f/2.8-4-5.6-8 and see if that makes any difference to you. Most probably you will find that the picture at f/2.8 has a little less contrast and that other pictures aren't that different.

18. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I think many people have covered most of the answers, but a few extra points / clarifications...

While the camera doesn't know what your aperture is, it does know how much light is entering the camera, and so it is able to meter based on what you aperture you manually set. In A mode with a E-mount lens, you would normally tell the camera you want to use. In P mode, the camera can't set the aperture on a legacy lens, so whatever it is set to, is what will be used. For this reason, both Program mode, and Aperture mode are essentially the same when using a manual lens.

If you can shoot on a tripod, then obviously you can use shorter shutter speed and not worry about camera shake, although you may need to use a remote or the delayed shutter to avoid bumping camera as the shutter fires.

In the hand-held case...

Since NEX camera have stabilization in the lenses and not in the camera, manual lenses are not stabilized. So for a long lens like the 135mm, you'll need to default to the old rule of thumb of shooting with a shutter speed of at least the focal length of the lens or faster. 1/160th or faster should allow you to avoid blur from camera shake, although depending on how steady you are, you may need a minimum of 1/200th or 1/250th. It this case, shooting in S mode would work best to keep the camera from choosing too slow of a shutter speed as it doesn't know what the length of your lens is. S mode and M mode are almost the same here, but the difference is whether or not Auto-ISO is being use. Auto-ISO allows the camera to bump the ISO as needed to match the exposure for the aperture and shutter you selected.

Now, since you need faster speeds with a hand held, long lens, that means you may need wider aperture or higher ISO to get a proper exposure. If you are shooting in Auto-ISO mode, the NEX will not go above 3200 due to the amount of noise introduced. If you need to go higher, manually select the higher ISO value instead of using Auto-ISO. At which point, you might just as well be in full manual mode, as both S and M now work pretty much the same, the difference is exposure compensation isn't allowed in M mode. In either case, you are controlling all three items: aperture, shutter, and ISO; trying to get a proper exposure according to the meter. You can't set EV in manual mode, you just meter above or below accordingly. In S mode, the compensation is dialed in, and you're trying for and EV0 exposure.

So my recommendation for hand-held operation with the 135mm is to use S-mode, auto ISO if you can. Open up the aperture to get a proper exposure and let Auto-ISO work. If you need a larger DoF, use a larger aperture and let the ISO increase. If you need ISO above 3200, switch to manual ISO or full Manual mode.