1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My first adapted len!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by teefin1, Oct 31, 2012.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Just got my Helios 44-2 58mm and im super impressed. I find the second aperture ring (or whatever its called) really intuitive and have only fired off a quick few shots. So excited i thought id post them.

Regards
    Tracy

DSC06699. DSC06693.

DSC06686. DSC06671.

2. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    ....The newest model is one of my older daughters, Casey.

3. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Off to a great start !! And Casey sure is a lovely young lady. Share more !'

4. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Wonderful shots, congrats on the new lens. I like the Helios 44. I've had a couple and they never fail to impress (I especially like the way they render). Stopped down a bit and it's super sharp. I've found they benefit from using a hood as they have tendency to flare a bit (52mm). Of course that might not be an issue where live. I'm in WA state so we've seen the last bright sun until about June.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yannoe, if ya moved to this side of the mountains you'd see a lot more sunshine. Except for the last 10 days or so anyway. Been miserably drippy of late. :(

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Enjoy that new, (to you), lens feel.

7. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Great portrait shots teefin1... are you sure this is your first MF legacy? Your daughter shots have a "pro-studio" look about them. :)

I also have the Helios 44-6 58mm... not pretty to look at, but I love it too...

8. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Its been raining here since May, on and off, worst summer ever, so whichever side of whicever mountain you're on Bimjo, i like the sound of!

Thank you all for the compliments; I promise this is my first MF lens, ive just bben taking everyone's advice here and all the beautiful photos inspire me to practise...a lot!

I got lucky with those shots Dioptrick, but i take it as a fabulous compliemt. Here's one more:

DSC06242.

Kind Regards
    Tracy

9. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Too many cool shots to put it on luck. Face it, you're good <grin>

10. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Congratulations on the new acquisition, very fresh and beautiful portraits, apparently you have experience in MF, the shots are very good;)

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ah, you wouldn't be saying that around the end of July. ;)

btw- nice action with the legacy lens. I admire those who can shoot peeps with MF lenses. I'm constrained to tripod work or very good light myself, so you guys that can shoot stuff that moves gets a tip-o-the-cap from me. :)

12. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
  13. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Not only that, teefin1 always seem to use shallow DOF (wide open lens) and indoor lighting... but if you look at her portraits, her focus (which is always on the eye ball "catch-lights" where it should be) is impeccable. I don't even know if she's focusing there deliberately, but it takes a lot of presence of mind (let alone skill) to be able to focus on the eyes. Tip-o-the-cap from me too.

...and yes teefin1, that's another compliment :)

Your frame composition needs a little work, but you're a natural... you'll sort that out easy...

14. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Ha, ha, i do always seem to chop their heads or limbs off (figuratively speaking), the blighters move so fast, the shot 5 seconds before Ty was flat on the floor. But, more seriously, thank you for the advice, i absolutely do need to find a way to frame the kids in my shots better, Nianys never fails and it was a previous post of hers where i read that critical focus should always be on the eye, so i practise :)

Thank you for the compliment Dioptrick, positive feedback is the best inspiration.

Regards
    Tracy

15. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Believe me, I fail a lot !! It's just that I'm a fervent believer in heavy practice... But you'd be surprised at the number of shots where focus is not *exactly* where I want it to be. The trick is to practice when they're relatively quiet, and then once your skills are honed a bit better, start chasing them around when they're moving. Luck plays a part as well. With MF sometimes it's not the expression that you liked best that comes out perfectly focused.