My dinner date

Discussion in 'Nature' started by fractal, Sep 4, 2014.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Last weekend I went to my Mom's for dinner before the kids left for school. She cooked up some steak, chicken, corn on the cob and a few salads made from her garden. As usual it was delicious.
    In addition to my family, my sister and her family joined us as well as my aunt and a few neighbors. We sat outside on her deck so seating was at a premium. I found myself eating on a small bench she has next to the
    primary patio table. Along with my plate of homemade goodness, I had with me my Sony NEX-7 with the SEL 35mm 1.8 attached. I was planning at some point to take pictures of my children and my Mom.

Right next to me on the bench were two potted plants that caught the attention of a single "hungry" bee. While he slurped on nectar I crunched through the corn on the cob. Finally I laid down my half eaten plate and picked up my camera. The SEL 35mm in not a macro; I don't have a real macro lens but I was wishing I had brought my Sigma 30mm which does a decent enough job. I wasn't really expecting much from the 35mm. I fired a few shots and checked the screen to discover that I need to get closer - much closer to the bee. And I did. He must have been drunk on the nectar because I had the lens right on top of him several times without him flinching. I amused myself shooting my dinner pal for about 15 minutes - falling into my own world as the conversations around me turned into background chattering buzz. Finally I was snapped out of it by wife "Chris, can you maybe join the rest of us in conversation?"

Although the majority of the shots were out of focus, I did manage a few hits:

DSC01117-XL.

DSC01118-XL.

DSC01121-XL.

DSC01124-XL.

DSC01123-XL.

DSC01126-XL.

• Like Like x 3
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Wow, excellent detail and color, particularly the Bee photos...well done !!

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    For me #4 is my favourite - I know I know, not a bee photo :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ