• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

My current Sony kit - How's your current kit look like?

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
My current setup is: a7r2 + CV 21mm 1.4 Nokton, CV 40mm 1.2 Nokton, and CV 110mm 2.5 APO Lanthar. I sold my AF lenses and bought the wide and macro recently when I realised the purpose of photography for me is relaxation and not caring about always "getting the shot". That and the 200-600 being totally unavailable here.

Welcome to talkemount, benjimouse. :Welcome:

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Veteran
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
My current Sony kit:

A7R IV
50mm f/2.8
90mm f/28 G
135mm f/1.8 GM

RX10 IV

RX100 VII

The A7R IV and lenses are brand-new to me, having just gotten them this past Thursday. I traded in my Nikon gear for them and am so far very, very happy! It feels odd to have only three lenses now instead of a whole bunch but it feels good, too, because many of the other lenses were going unused and this way they'll get a new life in the hands of others who will happily be putting them on their cameras.

I'll have to take a "family portrait" of my new setup soon!

Last edited:

mnhoj

TalkEmount Veteran
A gripped A7ii and three Samyang AF lenses.
18 2.8, 45 1.8 and 85 1.4.
Quite happy with it.

Maybe a legacy 28 to shoot scapes with later.

Reactions: WNG

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Just bought this week the Sony 20mm f1.8G lens. It will replace the Voigtlander 21mm f3.5mm lens and the Tamron 17-28 f2.8 lens, both of which are very good lenses themselves. But 20mm was one of my favorite FL with my Nikon FF gear and I wanted a fast 20mm prime for Astro photography and from all reports I have seen this new Sony 20mm G lens is very sharp across the frame and it will do the job. Being a prime guy, my feelings are the 20mm will be just fine for my travel photography, as if I need a bit wider I just take a few steps back or with the A7RIII, stitch together a quick 3 shot vertical pano.

So 2 years into Sony, below is how my 5 lens prime kit now stands. Mostly I use my Sony for my outdoor nature portrait photography as its eye/face detect can’t be beat, the Batis Sonnar 85 and 135mm are used the most by far ( and yes I have an aftermarket metal screw on hood for both). I use the small 35 and 55 Sonnar ZA's together with a Godox 350S flash in a small Domke bag for my “wife kit”, as she loves to have her photo taken. These 2 small and compact, but very sharp lenses, is one of the features I love about mirrorless cameras.

Sony 20mm f1.8G
Sonnar 35mm f2.8 ZA
Sonnar 55mm f1.8ZA
Batis Sonnar 85mm f1.8 w/OIS
Batis Sonnar 135mm f2.8 w/OIS

For any sports, airshows, nature I have the Sony 100-400 GM lens plus 1.4x TC.
IMG_1695.JPG
Apple    iPhone SE (2nd generation) back camera 3.99mm f/1.8    4mm    f/1.8    1/40s    ISO 320

Changes I have made in the last 2 years:
Upgraded the Sony FE 85mm f1.8 to the Batis 85mm f1.8. I like the Batis rendering better and find the OIS very useful.
Bought the 24mm f1.4 GM, but it just didn’t seem to be a FL I used that much in the year I had it, so I sold it. Also bought and sold the Sony FE 28mm f2. I prefer a 35 or wider like 20mm.
Upgraded the A7III to the A7RIII and just love the upgrade, 42MP is awesome!!!

I feel that this kit is now (almost :whistling: ) perfect for me, the only change I can see is adding the new Sony 35mm f1.4G lens, as I am more of a 35mm shooter vs. a 50mm shooter. Plus it’s a 67mm filter size, so I will be set as the 20, 85 and 135mm are this size also. While I love the 35mm f2.8ZA and won’t sell it, having a 35 f1.4 for many shoots would be a great addition for environmental type portraits.

ps, Thought best to would resurrect this thread, rather than start new. Maybe some of the past contributors will show what may have changed.

Last edited:

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'm having to re-think my kit as it is more weight than I'm supposed to be lifting right now. I need to get my bag out to check the A7ii to see if I stored it without the battery in it. I also need to change out the 24-105 lens on the A7iii to something lighter like the FE28 so I can lift the camera. I also need to start carrying a camera on my walks but right now they are about all I can manage as it is sans camera.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
@AlwaysOnAuto If weight is a big concern, the 35mm f2.8ZA is 4oz vs. 7oz for the FE 28mm f2, and having had both, I like the 35 much better. Maybe sell one of your bodies and get the new A7C? Either of these lenses would make for a very lightweight kit, as the A7C and 35mm lens total 21oz vs. 47 oz for the A7III and 24-105, a huge difference.

Last edited:

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I am just tweaking my Sony kit. I have four bodies:
A6400 + A6500 crop format
A7iii full frame
NEX-7 converted to full time infrared

I will most often shoot with two bodies in tandem...

However, when shooting models, I like the A7iii with 85mm f/1.8 outdoors and that camera with the Tamron 28-75mm for studio shoots.

The A7iii with 28-75mm f/2.8 Tamron is great for shooting events...

For walk around photography, I will often carry both APSC cameras wearing a 30mm f/1.4 Sigma and a Sony 50mm f/1.8 or 85mm f/1.8 lens.
My kit has changed. I sold my Sony 50mm and my Sigma 30mm. I still have four cameras but, they are now the A6400, A6600, A7iii and the NEX-7 adapted to full frame. My go-to lens is the Tamron 28-75mm, my telephoto lenses are the Sony 70-200mm f/4 OSS and the Sony 70-350mm OSS (I will probably be selling the Sony 70-200mm f/4 just possibly replacing it with the Tamron 70-180mm), my wide lens is the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 AF. My go-to portrait lens is the Sony 85mm f/1.8. I have several legacy lenses including the 135mm f/2.8 Meyer Gorlitz, the 50mm f/.,8 Meyer Gorlitz and the 55mm f/1.4 Sears Auto. I adapt the Legacy lenses with both dumb adapters and a Kipon focal reducer.
I use primarily the Godox line of flashes and have several different models.
My accessories include a remote, a battery grip for the A6400, several filters and an L bracket (Arca compatible) for each camera. I also have a large heavy tripod and a smaller lightweight model as well as a monopod. All are equipped with A/C clamps...

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
My lenses have not really changed, but I did upgrade from the A7ii to the A7Riii. This turned out to be an excellent move - love this camera and I am confident it still has more than I know how to pull out of it thus far.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
I bought a used Sigma 60/2.8 a while back, just because it was available and affordable. But, with me, it remained mostly unused! I have taken it to a couple of concerts (South-Indian Classical) recently, and really like its angle of view (better than my Sony 50/1.8) and I am managing to mostly live with the slower speed.

Speaking of which, having been using prime lenses almost entirely since I returned to photography a couple or three years ago... a Tamron 70-180/2.8 should be here in a day or two.

Whilst my Sigma 30/1.4 remains my goto snapshot lens outside the concert hall (and in it for groups), most of my pics are taken with my FE85/1.8. I don't know if the Tamron will change that. It will give me reach and flexibility, but not the certainty of a sharp picture of a singer who does that constant-head-moving thing. The eye can almost miss it, but the camera doesn't.

I don't feel the need to change in any direction from my a6500.

My aspiration would be to have the trio of "fast" zooms, Tamron or equivalent (Keeping some sort of realism to my financial situation, not Sony GM!). And I am hoping for a more-affordable-than-Sony AF 135 to come along

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I bought a used Sigma 60/2.8 a while back, just because it was available and affordable. But, with me, it remained mostly unused! I have taken it to a couple of concerts (South-Indian Classical) recently, and really like its angle of view (better than my Sony 50/1.8) and I am managing to mostly live with the slower speed.

Speaking of which, having been using prime lenses almost entirely since I returned to photography a couple or three years ago... a Tamron 70-180/2.8 should be here in a day or two.

Whilst my Sigma 30/1.4 remains my goto snapshot lens outside the concert hall (and in it for groups), most of my pics are taken with my FE85/1.8. I don't know if the Tamron will change that. It will give me reach and flexibility, but not the certainty of a sharp picture of a singer who does that constant-head-moving thing. The eye can almost miss it, but the camera doesn't.

I don't feel the need to change in any direction from my a6500.

My aspiration would be to have the trio of "fast" zooms, Tamron or equivalent (Keeping some sort of realism to my financial situation, not Sony GM!). And I am hoping for a more-affordable-than-Sony AF 135 to come along
I have a Meyer Gorlitz 135mm f/2.8 lens which adapted with my Kipon Focal Reducer equates to a 135mm f/2.0 on my A6600. No need to calculate the crop factor since, when using the Focal Reducer, the crop factor is negligible.

Of course, this is a manual focus lens but using focus peaking on my Sony mirrorless cameras, manual focusing is relatively easy. At least as easy as using a manual focus lens on a camera designed for manual focus lenses...

The Meyer Gorlitz 135mm provides magnificent bokeh...

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
My current Sony kit has been status quo. 2020 had been my least productive photography year no thanks to COVID. It messed up many travel destinations and plans. And during 1 of my only 3 photography outings, a bad experience left a negative impression. Not inspired nor motivated. I think I'll be culling a lot of my lenses and redundant gear this 2021.

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
This is my current A7RII / A6300 Kit. There's a 28/2 on the A7RII. There's a 70-200/4 buried in there too. An 18-105/4 on my A6000 IR camera. And I have a Samyang 35/2.8 on the way.
Admittedly too much. I need help.

View attachment 105563
I thought my bag was OTT!

Currently my 'A7 bag' has a full spectrum converted A7ii, (fitted with a clip in hot mirror to restore normal operation as wanted),
28-70, 55-210, & 14/2.8 lenses in e-mount, 28/2.8, 50/3.5, 40/4, 24mm macro, 100mm macro, 500mm/8 adapted lenses with appropriate adapters,
A raynox DCR150, over a dozen filters (mainly for IR), an off camera flash & TTL lead, batteries, charger etc. & even a crystal ball.

I don't usual carry anything as wide as 10mm with it but the 14mm/2.8 has almost identical coverage to my 10/2.8 without the need for cropping. If I need anything, longer/faster/wider I'll probably end up taking a second bag. It seems if I slip it in my main bag it tends to stay there - I've been meaning to take the 40mm out for months!

My Nex bag is somewhat more restrained, just the Nex 6, 35-80 & 80-210 lenses but that's something that gets left at work, for unexpected sunny lunchtimes. By the time covid lets me out at lunch no doubt the battery will be completely flat (again).

Last edited:

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
Last year I bought a second body for my a7rii, so came an A7iii.

And also bought two samyang lenses, 18 f2.8 and 35 1.8.

So here’s my bag:

- Sony a7Rii
- Sony a7iii

- samyang 18 2.8
- tokina 20 f2 af
- Sony 28 f2
- samyang 35 1.8
- Sony 55 1.8
- Sony 85 1.8

Better not to count MF lenses that I use with Techart Pro :p

Also I have a Godox V1 that I have to learn to master :p

I also am thinking to sell 18 f2.8 and tokina 20 f2, and buying just one wide angle lens, but tokina is sooo beautiful, and samyang so small :)
Batis 25 f2 would be a great choice :cool:

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
Last year I bought a second body for my a7rii, so came an A7iii.

And also bought two samyang lenses, 18 f2.8 and 35 1.8.

So here’s my bag:

- Sony a7Rii
- Sony a7iii

- samyang 18 2.8
- tokina 20 f2 af
- Sony 28 f2
- samyang 35 1.8
- Sony 55 1.8
- Sony 85 1.8

Better not to count MF lenses that I use with Techart Pro :p

Also I have a Godox V1 that I have to learn to master :p

I also am thinking to sell 18 f2.8 and tokina 20 f2, and buying just one wide angle lens, but tokina is sooo beautiful, and samyang so small :)
Batis 25 f2 would be a great choice :cool:
If the MF adapted lenses live in the same bag as your cameras then I'd certainly say they count.
I didn't include the 200+ lenses I might use with my A7ii or Nex 6, only those that live in the same bags. The others are scattered round the bedroom/dining room/living room or at work...

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
If the MF adapted lenses live in the same bag as your cameras then I'd certainly say they count.
I didn't include the 200+ lenses I might use with my A7ii or Nex 6, only those that live in the same bags. The others are scattered round the bedroom/dining room/living room or at work...

Separate bags, for all I would need almost a trolley :p

Usually MF lenses I use the most are Olympus Om 24 f2, Zeiss jena 80 1.8 and 135 3,5

Amin Sabet

Administrator
I sold my AF lenses and bought the wide and macro recently when I realised the purpose of photography for me is relaxation and not caring about always "getting the shot".

I'm on a similar path here, trying to rediscover the inspiration to do photography. Here's my current kit, Sony A9 with Voigtlander 21/1.4 and 50/2.

20210127_113120.jpg
SM-G988U    Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra Rear Main Camera    7mm    f/1.8    1/60s    ISO 160

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I'm on a similar path here, trying to rediscover the inspiration to do photography. Here's my current kit, Sony A9 with Voigtlander 21/1.4 and 50/2.

View attachment 113678

Welcome to the A9 club @Amin Sabet ! After I picked up the A9, it reduced my GAS for camera bodies! I consider the A9 mk. I one of the best used buys for mirrorless cameras right now, especially for the price.

Latest posts

Top Bottom