My collection is done...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by NickCyprus, Feb 21, 2013.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ...well, almost atleast :D

8496139608_a733ccb1a2_b.

E-mount lenses:
    18-55mm kit lens (used to be my everyday lens before discovering the beauty of Manaul Focus lenses, now hardly use it unless I want AF)
    16mm pancake lens (never really used it :()

Since I bought my first manual lens, the MD 50, I kinda bonded with Minolta lenses and want to use only MDs when possible :D

Legacy adapted manual lenses:
    MD 50mm f/1.7 (my sweet portrait lens)
    MD Zoom 35-70mm f/3.5 w.Macro (my everyday lens)
    MD 135mm f/3.5 (my newest addition)

and my new Minolta wide strap :p

So, what am I missing? (feel free to advise/comment here)
    1) A bigger bag since my Minolta bag can only hold 4 lenses (planning on ordering the ThinkTank Retrospective 5 this month ;) )
    2) I know I want an MD 35mm f/2.8 (will probably get one this month)
    2) don't need any wider lenses (ie. 24-28mm) since I don't do much wide and I'm somehow covered with the 16mm pancake
    3) also want the 18-200mm E-mount or 55-210mm (unfortunately too much $$$ for me right now)
    4) plus a longer LF MD Zoom but definately not the otherwise excellent 70-210 f/4 since its too big and heavy for my taste. So something cheap (no more than 50euros), good performance wise, light (no more than 550g) and small (no more than 100mm). Unfortunately the Minolta MD line up doesn't have anything like that, so any other brand/model recommendations?

Attached Files:

2. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Why the 35mm f/2.8 if you have that focal length covered? Speed? Want a prime? Have you considered the Oly PEN-F 38mm f/1.8? I have it and it's a pretty sweet very small lens.

Bag, I'm currently using a Timbuk2 Snoop size XS. It fits my camera and 5 lenses and is half the price of the ThinkTank if you get the green one that's discounted.

3. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Exactly ;)

Yeah, the PEN-F 38mm looks very good from what I've seen but $$$
    Plus, I want to keep it MD wherever I can, and the 35mm is a good lens ;)

Looks very nice!!! But from the moment I laid eyes on the Retrospective I can't get it out of my mind :D
    Only thing that bothers me is the not padded bottom but that can easily be fixed ;)

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    My collection is done.

Making false statements on the internet is a felony you know. :p

Just kidding. But they are never complete. There's always just one more lens I need and then my collection wil be complete. Trust me. ;)

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I know you said you don't need any wider lenses but the UWC for the SEL16/2.8 is a nice small, relatively inexpensive addition.

6. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I hear ya. I almost went for the 35 f/2.8 too but was sold on the PEN-F because of posts from nianys. I may someday get the 35mm though just to compare. I do love the ROKKOR lenses.

7. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Tokina 80-200 F4.5 ? Not sure of the size (probably quite big) but weight is around 500g and it has a constant 4.5 aperture plus close focus.

Tokina 80-200mm f/4.5 RMC Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
    Tokina 80-200mm F4.5 (M42)

One on evilbay for 20 quids, not sure if he will mail to Cyprus though: Minolta fit Tokina f4.5 80-200mm lens | eBay

They seem to go quite cheap (under £40) and come up fairly often if you are flexible about which mount the come in though.

8. scinkk

scinkk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 9, 2013
    Czech Republic
  9. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks guys :)

Yup, the Tokina is one of the brands I'm considering. From what I've seen, the SD-I and SD-II 70-210mm f/4-5,6 is just 87mm long and just 405g!!!
    Do you like yours scinkk?

Keep the recommendations coming ;)

10. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I think I'll try the Tokina SD 70-210 since they are easy to find and cheap...

Just one question: which mount version offers the thinnest adapter available on the Nex??? (I only have MD-Nex adapters)

11. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
  12. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Mount doesn't matter. The lens makers made just one lens and varied the lens mount thickness with different mounts. So the total length with Nex mount is same.

13. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Cheers, thanks guys ;)

14. scinkk

scinkk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 9, 2013
    Czech Republic
    The Tokina is very nice lens and the weight is really good for NEX
    The 90 mm length is for 70 mm - but it is good for transprt
    it has about 12 cm length for 210 mm (with adapter about 14 cm) - it is not problem becouse of the weight but focus ring is on the end and my piece is in poor condition and focus ring doesnt move smoothly - probably I will buy a better piece - so try buy somethin near to a mint condition :) But it is not problem - the lens is really cheap (I could see end of an action on 6 euro) and a lot of them on ebay :)

I have got Vivitar series 1 70-210mm so I can do some an quick test to compare them - maybe tomorrow :) But the Vivitar is really heavy - it is only good for shooting in home or in garden :))

15. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    +1
    Nothing more to say!
    Did I mention the Tokina I bought without real needs a few days ago... :)

16. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Hello, this is my first post here and I am also brand new to shooting with a Nex (7) so please be patient with me ;)

Nick, I think you have an excellent collection of Rokkor lenses. Those three will let you take almost any photo.

What you could do is to look to expand the focal lengths at both ends:
    (1) MD 28/2.8 is cheap will let you take wider shots than with the MD 35-70/3.5,
    (2) MD 70-210/4 is also cheapish and will let you take great tele shots, including birds if not too far.

Those two are super lenses and will cost you less than $100 for both if you pay standard prices. Bargains can always be had if you have the patience to wait.

I also recommend trying several similar lenses. The 58/1.4 will give you different results from the 50/1.7, as will the 50/1.4. It is often a matter of taste which one you prefer. The 50/1.4 is an absolute corker, as sharp as any modern lens with the added bonus of Minolta colours and bokeh.

I hope these few opinions is of any use.

17. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum Jaf-Photo. :)

18. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    First of all thanks and welcome ;)

I now also have an MD 35-105 in my collection that I bought very cheap :D

1) I don't do much wide shots so I think a 28mm will not get used much
    On the other hand, I've been hunting an 35 2.8 for a long time with no success. Why is it just a difficult lens to find (rhetorical quesion). There are a few but not for the price I'm aiming for

2) The MD 70-210 is on my wish list as well but not the f/4 version cause I'm sure I won't like the added weight and physical length/size thus not using it - The f/4.5-5.8 on the other hand....mmm

I totally agree on the 58 1.4 and 50 1.4, though I'm not used spending that much on legacy lenses (mostly going for bargains). The 85mm falls into the same category

Also giving the 35-135 and 50-135 a shot (always MDs)

I think I like versatillity (sp?), you know a lens that I can carry with me everyday, something that would combine all my focal lengths in one, that's why in the end I think the 18-200 is for me :)

19. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Bimjo, thanks for the welcome.

I could mention that my experience on the topic so far is that I have been shooting Rokkor lenses with my Samsung NX11 (is that a bad word here?). But now I decided to get a more faithful reproduction of the Rokkor characteristics so I moved to the Nex-7. But I am also fairly new on the Rokkors, previously having favoured manufacturer lenses. So, I'm still a learner on both, really.

Nick, I do see your point on the size of the 70-210/4. It is a beast to lug around and I can't help laughing when I see a small mirrorless camera attached to one end of it :D. But it does produce wonderful photos and the large aperture reduces the normal problem of light vs. shake when shooting tele.

The MD 28/2.8 is a good compromise if you are used to shooting at the shorter end of modern kit lenses. It will allow you to capture landscapes, townscapes, buildings and street scenes in a way that 35mm most often won't. I paid $30 for a flawless one, which isn't bad. I currently have a W.Rokkor 35/2.8 in shipment as I have seen some great shots with that lens.

Also, one more. If you are really into macro shots, then the MD 50/3.5 will let you do 1:1 at really low cost, which is always fun. Both things :)

20. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    No problem. And that's why some of us refer to our cameras as "Electronic Lens Caps." :cool: