My Chicklets

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Vincepad, May 7, 2014.

1. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    My wife Amy and I have had a running joke where I call her "chick" for the last 20 or so years. When I started coaching girls' varsity soccer, Amy referred to them as my "chickies," and when I added a girls' youth team to my coaching, she called them my "chicklets." Amy knows how much I adore the kids and families that I get to work with (we don't have children of our own, and these kids become like family members), and sharing my nickname for her with my players is a pretty big compliment to them.

These photos are of my current chicklets (seventh graders), who won a tournament this past weekend. They all bought t-shirts with their names and numbers at the tournament and wore them to practice. Well, those players (ahem, and coaches) who remembered to wear the shirts to practice did so. This is an awesome group of kids, and I really enjoy working with them.

They chose the poses.

14130752684_02125fb388_o.

13943837700_b537f91d6c_o.

13943798617_f949b5f9eb_o.

All shot with the NEX-6 and the Sony 20mm f/2.8

• Like Like x 16
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That last one is awesome! Those young ladies are going to go far in life. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Believer

Believer TalkEmount Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    New Jersey, US
    Ryan
    Great set. Love the angle that you shot it at, gives a great 'conquerors' feeling to it :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Great shots indeed! Love #2 :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Cool shots! Where are you from? In many parts of the North of the UK 'chick' is a pretty standard reference to a female (wife or otherwise), as is 'duck' which I always giggle at!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Those shots will bring back memories at some future time. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Vincepad

Dec 29, 2013
    I'm originally from New Mexico, USA, however I live in Wisconsin, USA now. Chick is actually a fairly common term here (although duck is new to me!), however it isn't in favor at the moment. The kids that I coach think it's funny.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Vincepad

Dec 29, 2013
    Thank you! The team was standing at the top of a hill and I was standing down the hill with my head about three or four feet below their foot level. I knew we'd get that strong look, but as much as anything, I was just trying to hide some trees (visible in one shot), apartments, and goals that would have been in the background.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That's some great work.

• Like Like x 1
  10. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Haha! Oh chick is very much in favour up north here. But being a southerner it's very funny to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  11. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    This chick in WI loves that last shot! Although they are all great!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vincepad

Dec 29, 2013
    Thank you! Where are you in Wisco? I'm in Sun Prairie and these kids are from the west side of Madison. :)

13. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I am over in Sheboygan. Originally from Duluth, MN and lived in San Antonio, TX for a short while. I figured it must have been in the Madison area as the grass is so nice and green! We are just getting to that point now over here. ;)

14. Vincepad

Dec 29, 2013
    Only somebody originally from Duluth would notice that! My wife and I are thinking about going up to the boundary waters if we can make it happen this fall. I love that part of the country!

I'll try to send some of our "warmth" (although today is a mess, as you know), and hopefully things green up there quickly!

Best,
    Vince

15. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Ha ha very true! I have been on the lookout for green anything these past few weeks! Thankfully all this rain has kicked it into gear. Beautiful today although always "cooler by the lake".

Boundary Waters is breathtaking. I love it up there! My parents still have a home in Canyon, MN which is just a bit NW of Duluth, so we drive around a lot when we are vacationing up there to take it all in. Gooseberry Falls along the shoreline is my favorite place though. I can't get enough of it.

• Like Like x 1