1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My bride to be

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Believer, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Believer

Believer TalkEmount Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    New Jersey, US
    Ryan
    Hello all - Here is one I snapped of Kate during our stay in Palm Beach Gardens, FL.

I would appreciate any constructive criticism as well, always opportunities to learn or hear other's thoughts.

When i crop photos I have a deep rooted issue with a crop outside of the originals ratio. I'm not quite sure why but this photo I took a step out and changed the ratio to 4:3. I felt the original had an 'empty' feel in the background, thoughts on that would be great too!

9571156953_714ec646cf_c.
    DSC04257

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I would like to see the rule of thirds followed more for this kind of photo - still a very nice shot though (nice colours too) and congrats on the wedding ;)
    Oh, and she has some very beautiful eyes

3. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I have no problem changing the proportions of an image as it came from the camera - if I think that it improves the image significantly. Generally, I will limit the changes to proportions for which a print frame is easily available, just in case a decision is made to make a print. (My most frequent choice of a new ratio - if any - is to switch to a 4x5 or a 5x4 ratio, but I have occasionally used a different ratio.) In the majority of cases I can leave the proportions as the image came from the camera, but there are times when different proportions make a visible improvement.

Don't forget that the most frequent ratio that comes from the majority of cameras has changed over the decades. 8x10 (or larger) view cameras dominated many years ago, then 4x5 and 5x7 became popular as cameras shrunk. When 35mm cameras came to dominate the market, 4x6 became the "standard" for most people, but 1x1 was popular with many professionals who used medium format film. Now the "point and shoot" digital cameras generally take a 4x3 image.

Bottom line - don't let the proportions of the image that are provided by your current camera dictate what you choose to do with the image. There is nothing magic about those proportions. The magic comes from your composition and use of light.

- Tom -

4. Believer

Nov 28, 2012
    New Jersey, US
    Ryan
    I was back and forth between the version above and this version here:

5. Believer

Nov 28, 2012
    New Jersey, US
    Ryan
    Thanks for the insight Tom, that was definitely helpful. There IS something that bothers me about chopping the right side of the photo off but then there is also something that bothers me about the just slightly cropped version above. The longer version definitely gives me as the viewer a better feel for the environment I think.

6. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Personally, I prefer your second version. I think that this is because your primary subject more closely meets "The Rule of Thirds". There are some really great photos that totally violate TROT, but in most cases following TROT generates images that appeal a little more to most people. I'm sure that some psychologists have studied exactly why this is the case, but all I care about is that it does seem to reflect human preferences, which helps me a little in some situations.

- Tom -

7. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Personally I like the first one better. The rule of the third is just guideline. If all pictures adhere to the rule, it would be very boring.

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Agreed. With such a close up portrait, the RULE hardly applies.

Nice catch by the way.

9. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I like the first one. I don't think the added space in the second photo helps the image.

10. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    she has AMAZING blue eyes

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Congratulations on going into debt!....er, getting married :D:biggrin:;)

So are you going to get her a NEX-7 now? :eek: