1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My biggest gripe with Nex

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Amamba, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I realized that my editing skills in LR don't yet match what I can do in an editor like PSP or Gimp. LR is great for highlights and shadows, some WB adjustments, and noise reduction, while I can still get better colors / contrast / eyes / sharpness / skin texture / cloning in PSP. Much faster.

And here comes my biggest gripe with Sony.

I shoot JPEG + RAW. Always had. With my Canon files, I can use JPEGs straight out of camera, and resort to RAW when more involved WB adjustments or shadow / highlight recovery is required. Sony, unfortunately, uses heavy noise reduction and doesn't let us turn it off. Even at "Low" it's often too high. So unless I want mushy hair on people, I have to run every photo through LR first.

Why won't they let us disable NR ? Nex 6 is not an entry level body, why treat people who buy them as clueless amateurs ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I'd say by forcing you to shoot RAW they do the opposite. ;) Seriously though, the Sony JPEG engines never were any good. If you want to avoid processing any single image - make a LR preset which matches how you like your JPEGs and let LR automatically batch process all RAW files you import. Problem solved.

3. Mellow

Mellow TalkEmount Regular

Aug 18, 2013
    Florida or Wyoming
    Tom
    But that's not really answering the OP's question--why not simply allow users to turn NR off (or down)? Sure there are workarounds, but surely giving people more options is never a bad thing, right?

4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Why does Sony permanently assign exposure compensation to the down button of the back wheel of the NEX-7 (hint: it's totally pointless with the Tri-Navi)? Because they don't think.

5. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Actually, I kind of disagree on both points.

To me, RAW is much more beneficial to the amateurs as it's a very forgiving format and you can correct many WB or exposure errors in post. It takes more skill to produce good Jpegs straight out of camera.

And I disagree with Sony never having a good Jpeg engine. Their problem is, they are very inconsistent and don't act as one company. My original digital P&S - which I settled on after much trial and error - was Sony W5 and it produced excellent Jpegs. Great auto WB, near perfect skin tones, unobtrusive NR. That was back in 2005. I have an old Konica Minolta 7D - which I believe is the foundation on which the modern Sony Alpha SLRs are all based on - and it has great skin tones and little NR at base ISO. Yet the Nex Jpegs are too red /warm and with heavy NR.

Yes, batch conversion is probably the key.

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    No. Why? Because you HAVE to do something in post processing. Post processing is also a skill you have to learn and master. But what really makes a picture is not the technical quality, but the composition, so no matter whether you shoot JPEG or RAW, no format will make you a better photographer.

You can correct for the tones in camera (although I like a little warmer colors personally). As for the rest - might be true, I never shoot JPEG, so I don't really know first hand. They just were never known for having a good JPEG engine as opposed to Olympus or Pentax. The JPEGs are totally usable though, and if you want more - well, shooting RAW is the best option with any camera.

7. Shutterdad

Shutterdad TalkEmount Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    I haven't purchased a new camera in a couple of years and have never, ever had to charge the battery in the camera. I like the F3, but this is driving me insane!

Is this a cost saving tactic from the manufacture?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yes, it is. But third party chargers are not expensive at all.

9. Shutterdad

Shutterdad TalkEmount Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    A third party charger and an extra battery will be my first purchase, really soon!

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

10. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I shoot mostly JPEG unless I know it's an image I might want to try to get a little more out of. I don't really have the time to post-process everything and a lot of the stuff is just snapshots around the house.

I don't know what your JPEG settings are but I have my sharpness turned down to -1. I find it helps to reduce some of the blotchy shadow areas. I usually have DRO to auto and always forget to turn it off in low light which usually adds noise that ends up getting processed. I also find the Auto WB adjustment works pretty decent. I sometimes set it 1 notch warm for indoor natural light or one notch cool for indoor photos with lights on.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    As I said, I have two problems with Nex jpegs. First, the NR. Zoom in any jpeg and you will see lots of artifacts in shadows, especially at ISO 400 and above. This is permanently cooked into jpeg and can't be fixed. The second is the skin colors which tend to be way too orange. For a jpeg shooter, imho, this destroys whatever advantages Nex has over Canon in DR and high ISO, as Canon SOOC jpegs are much less overdone and, as long as exposed to the right without blowing highlights, very usable. Luckily, Nex Raw files are good. But I really don't understand why Sony wouldn't let us just turn NR off and handle it in post.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

12. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, I kind of solved the skin colors issue by buying Photo Ninja RAW editor. While it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of LR, I find that in fully auto mode with small tweaking it produces natural looking skin colors when I'd screw around for hours in LR without getting close.

Of course this depends on complection. My kids have very fair completion so the natural*tendency of Nex to produce orange / reddish tones in dim or artificial light throws their skin tones way off balance. Someone with more Asian tones would probably look much better SOOC.