1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

My A7 story :D

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by RAWFA, Nov 23, 2013.

1. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    So I JUST got my A7 and I didn't have much time to mess with it too much because it's night here in Rio de Janeiro and it's pouring outside.

But before I go into my first impressions I'll contextualize my needs quickly.
    I have to say that I was always a ONE camera kind of guys. I don't do gigs where I HAVE to have a backup, and photography is not where I earn my living...so I always felt it was kind of unnecessary to have a bunch of cameras.

That being said, I was extremely happy with my NEX-7...until I started shooting video again. It does shoot great video, but it has issues with overheating and poor audio even with external mics (for my needs). SO, I ended up getting a Canon 6D for video.

When Sony announced the A7/A7R I thought all my problems would be solved (not to mention that I'm always an early adopter of new technology). So I sold my NEX-7, all my Canon primes and I'm currently trying to sell my Canon 6D.

Move to today, UPS drops me this nice little package and I cannot wait to start testing my new toy. So, here are my first thoughts:

The good
    - I was amazed at how little it was (I really thought it was going to be substantially bigger than the NEX-7).
    - I've tested the audio input and audio control with an external mic and it's great.
    - Lots of manual controls and customizable buttons
    - Everything feels solid
    - The new menus are much better than the usual Sony menus
    - It feels fast

The bad
    - Phase AF has like 101 AF points and it's supposed to be amazing, but Sony only updated a couple of their lenses to support it (this one isn't really about the camera, but ok)
    - The magnify focus assist needs 2 clicks to magnify (it needed one click on the NEX7)
    - I just HATE the in camera battery charging (I've already ordered an "external" charger)
    - The flaps for the inputs feel extremely fragile
    - The ultra super micro HDMI output is ridiculous. I use an external hdmi monitor to shoot video and now I'm going to try to find one more adapter for my collection (to be honest I don't even know if there are such adapters since this is the first time I've seen such a small HDMI ouput).
    - I set the video format to NTSC so I can shoot 24p and EVERYTIME I turn on the camera I get a "Running on NTSC" message, which I've read is normal on the Sony website (this is just insane!)
    - I'm not sure if this should be here, but I was kind of said that I won't be able to use any of the smaller e-mount APS-C lenses.

Anyway, hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to give it a proper test.

• Like Like x 11
  2. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    Very quick tests with a Pentax adapter, a 35mm 1.9 and an 85mm 2.0.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 23
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Looks promising, hope you are enjoying the camera.

4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks for the mini review and photos, nice shots...

5. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    Very very nice shots, and thanks for the review!
    Did you desaturate red channel right? And what else?

6. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    Wayyyy too little time to test my new baby. I'm dreaming about the weekend already.

Here is another with a pentax 85mm f2.0

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  7. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    Some quick stuff on my way to the my mother in laws'

Pentax 50m 1.4...veeery hard to focus at 1.4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  8. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks again. It should be hard to mf wide open 50mm 1.4, well done! What do you use for PP?

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    You definitely have a look to your photos.

10. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    • Like Like x 19
  11. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    This is a great set of pics..

12. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    Lovely pics!

13. Vidar

Vidar TalkEmount Regular

Apr 25, 2013
    Bergen, Norway
    Vidar
    Great shots!

14. Fundadores

Fundadores TalkEmount Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Great set of photos! The A7 seem to be a winner in the right hands.

Skickas från min iPad via TalkEmount

15. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    Thanks, everybody. My only complaint at the moment is how expensive and big the AF lenses are. Then the NEX system first came out Sony had some very affordable lenses. At the moment I have no AF lenses and I have no plans of buying any until prices drop A LOT or Sigma and Tamron come out with some nice AF lenses. I also don't understand how come the FF e-mount lenses are so big, when Sony has FF alpha lenses that are smaller. It just doesn't make sense. Until then it's manual for me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bobbywise

bobbywise TalkEmount Regular

Nov 6, 2013
    Nantes, France
    Robert Wisbey
    Great pic Rafael,

Manual lenses are fun :D
    You have a great set there.
    What type of post processing did you apply to get those colours ?

17. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    Some more complaints that could VERY easily be fixed via firmware:
    - There is no setting for minimum and maximum ISO or shutter, while in auto.
    - Yesterday I've tested the camera in AUTO mode to try to understand how it reacts in different conditions and I've notice the picture profile is then turned off. This is a shame because I shoot jpeg NEUTRAL with all settings at -3 to get the most latitude possible so I can get the look I want on post.

• Like Like x 1
  18. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    Sony A7 vs NEX-3F size comparison

11150610004_1ea2be4bc7_o.

11150608754_a7724830f5_o.

11150609554_598273545c_o.

• Like Like x 8
  19. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    • Like Like x 5
  20. Jack

Jack New to TalkEmount

Dec 1, 2013
    Great pictures!

> - I'm not sure if this should be here, but I was kind of said that I won't be able to use any of the smaller e-mount APS-C lenses.

I thought you could use the APS-C mode (its in the menu. On, Off, Auto-detect)?

Quick question, can you program C1 to start/stop video? Do you plan on buying the vertical grip?