• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

My 5N is here !!!

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Ok guys
I understand this NEX has been out for a while now, outmegapixeled by the 7, and about to get obsoleted by the 5R, lol.
However, this is my first NEX that I've chosen after pretty extensive research, so bear with my enthusiasm ;)
First off, it's really really tiny, smaller than my GX-1 (my primary camera for the past 6 months after over 10 years with various DSLRs). The body isn't as nicely hefty and sturdily built as the Panny, but I think the paint won't chip at corners like it has on the GX-1 (metal housing underneath).
The 16:9 screen isn't as convenient but then the resolution is higher, it's crisp and beautiful (I'd take a lower res 3:2 anyway, though).
The menus and user interface are quite different, but I'm getting the hang of it already. Not the most intuitive UI I can think of, but not a nightmare either (unlike Olympus').
The shutter sound is annoying, lol.
But the IQ is pretty sweet ! Have yet to see the pics on my computer, but they seem very good on the LCD. One thing I'm *really* grateful for is the added subject isolation over m4/3.
Now, I bought the NEX partly for the focus peaking feature, and I have to admit it works beautifully !!
I'm sure I'll get better with it with practice, but from the get go I'm getting very usable results, shooting a manual 1.8 50 FD wide open (a semi dud, by the way).
I'll post some pictures tonight but was so excited I had to share !

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
I think the one thing I learnt that made me go "Doh I wish I knew that earlier!" was the ability to set custom keys (that stupid "Help" button :mad:) - really made some of the menu hunting a lot more tolerable. (In case you haven't found it already, Setup > Main Settings)

Looking forward to seeing your shots!

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
For a reason unknown (I have a manual lens mounted an am in A mode) the Main Setting is greyed out ?! I do have my custom keys set though. Don't know what the Main settings does ?

BigMike

TalkEmount Rookie
Congrats! Look forward to hearing more on how it compares to your GX1, especially in respect of the NEX AF lenses that you will use on it...

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Congratulations and its fun to see unbridled enthusiasm :D. The focus peaking does take a little time to get used to. It does however work really well once you get the hang of it. Can't wait to see some pictures.

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
For a reason unknown (I have a manual lens mounted an am in A mode) the Main Setting is greyed out ?! I do have my custom keys set though. Don't know what the Main settings does ?
Heh, no that's just the header for the section, it isn't selectable :)

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Hugh, I feel dumb ;)
I did set my custom functions early on.
From what little Ive seen the AF is not up to GX-1 level with the 18-55. It's very acceptable, but not nearly instant like the Panny.
However, the iq makes up for that easily !
As a m4/3 user Ive been trying to convince myself the DOF control wasn't so different, but not, it is !
Right now I see the NEX and GX-1 living along each other, mainly for the fantastic Panny UI, and the PL25/1.4 lens that is unparalleled.
Shots tonight !

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
Well, there is no reason why you can't have two systems. I kept my Pentax K20 and a couple of lenses when I bought my 5N last fall. Though to be honest I haven't taken 20 pics with the K20 since I got the 5N.

That's probably due to what I'm shooting pics of more than not wanting to use the K20. Most of what I've been shooting has been off the tripod and the 5N just makes that easier, with equal/beter image quality.

But if I go to shoot moving cars or something the K20 is getting the assignment. ;)

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Hugh, I feel dumb ;)
I did set my custom functions early on.
From what little Ive seen the AF is not up to GX-1 level with the 18-55. It's very acceptable, but not nearly instant like the Panny.
However, the iq makes up for that easily !
As a m4/3 user Ive been trying to convince myself the DOF control wasn't so different, but not, it is !
Right now I see the NEX and GX-1 living along each other, mainly for the fantastic Panny UI, and the PL25/1.4 lens that is unparalleled.
Shots tonight !

They NEX and the GX1 are a good combination...and yes the IQ more than makes up for the weird UI. The more I use the NEX however the more I realize that the GX1 is the one that would go if I had to pick one. As good as the PL25 and PL45 are (love the AF and close focus) the NEX produces better images and once you have it set up the impact of the Sony UI is really minimal.

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
What (pleasantly) surprises me the most, is how much shallower DOF really is. M4/3 die-hards are so set to tell you the opposite after a while you don't trust your own eyes and start believing it... I can tell you that de DOF advantage of NEX is very real, and I wouldn't call it slight either.
However, AF and UI wise the GX-1 wins by a million.
Each camera has its strengths and weaknesses, but aside from a DOF point of view the Panny has very few weaknesses ! I believe the NEX will truly shine as a portrait camera with legacy lenses.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
AF and UI on the GX1 ARE a lot nicer, but I found that the NEX kinda sneaks up on you. First you figure it'll see limited use for just a couple of kinds of images you want to make and the next thing you know it's in you bag all the time. The IQ of the NEX is verybaddictive and the more comfortable you get with it the less time you'll spend with the GX1...and i say this as someone that thinks the GX1 might be the best all around m43 camera body going.

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
First NEX pictures with manual lens

OK guys, back home and able to transfer files to the computer. Please bear in mind all in all I've spend about two full hours with the camera today, tops ! Part of it was dedicated to setting it up, part to shooting. Those pics were made tonight using my Canon FD 50/1.8 (an average lens at best !), and the little Sony flash with a "DIY bounce card", camera in Manual mode and positive flash compensation dialed in (I do a lot of on camera manual flash so I've become a little handy witht that over the years.

MarlaSept12-03.jpg
   ---            

What can I say ? The IQ is very, very good. The DOF control is a treat for me, who've been frustrated of that for the past 6 months... The Focus Peaking, which is mostly why I bought it for, is just *awesome*. I don't have the VF yet (which I really, really have to buy, but I'm reluctant to since I know I want the NEX6) so I've been using peaking from the LCD but I can already say it's extremely useful and a total revolution for focusing legacy lenses. Not that I plan to get a lot of keepers for action, but for moderately static subjects it's just very, very helful, and the success rate is pretty high, even for a first day, I'm super pleased.

MarlaSept12-04PM.jpg
   ---            

I can't wait to use sharper lens on this baby ! My FD135 performs much better than the 50, but it's really awkward in size and weight, and there is slight play in the adapter (not bad, but not rock solid) that is cumbersome. I plan on getting a much smaller OM tele prime, which should be easier to handle. I did try the 18-55 which seems optically very good, AF however is not nearly as fast as the GX-1, but I can live with that.

MarlaSept12-05PM.jpg
   ---            

Bottom line ? It's only a first few hours with the cam, which I now need to equip with a couple of goodies (hotshoe for a proper flash, for one), and some extra lenses. I'm on the fence about getting an expensive but really super duper 50 lens (Zeiss Planar T*). If anyone has a suggestion for a wickedly sharp 50mm (or close) I'm all ears. I do believe with habit this camera probably grows on you due to its lovely IQ, great DOF control and manual focusing made a joy. Depending on whether the GX-1 sells before my next vacation (Vermont foliage, 1st week of October) the NEX might go as a primary body, or not. Still waiting on a couple of adapters to use different lenses and learn to use the beast.
Will post more pictures when I can !

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
A handful more ...
BarbieSept12-01.jpg
   ---            
CharlesSept12-01.jpg
   ---            
NicoSept12-01.jpg
   ---            
P.O.Sept12-01.jpg
   ---            
P.O.Sept12-02.jpg
   ---            

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
PrissSept12-01.jpg
   ---            
SebBravoSept12-01.jpg
   ---            
VinceSept12-01.jpg
   ---            

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
As you can see, nothing very exciting, just my sweet colleagues at work. But excellent IQ with not even having to worry about noise, and with a rather crude lens. I love it !

eno789

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Of the 50-60mm MF primes, I like

Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm f/1.4
Minolta MC Rokkor 55mm f/1.7
Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm f/1.4
Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4
Pentax SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8
Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.7 or f/1.8
Konica Hexanon 57mm f/1.4
Helios 44-2 58mm f/2

Don't have the Hexanon 50mm f/1.4, but heard good things about that too. My Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 is excellent, but that's longer.

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
hello mate, many congratulations for your new camera, we see that this divirtiendo using MF, let me tell you, you made a good choice, ease the use of legacy lenses.

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
hello mate, many congratulations for your new camera, we see that this divirtiendo using MF, let me tell you, you made a good choice, ease the use of legacy lenses.

Thanks, it's fun an enjoyable indeed !

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'm on the fence about getting an expensive but really super duper 50 lens (Zeiss Planar T*). If anyone has a suggestion for a wickedly sharp 50mm (or close) I'm all ears. I do believe with habit this camera probably grows on you due to its lovely IQ, great DOF control and manual focusing made a joy.

The Zeiss Planar 50 is awesome...but there are other less spendy versions of awesome.

The Konica 50/1.7 is about the sharpest lens I have ever owned (almost too much so). It's cheap and sharp as all get out. It's actually got a pretty decent build quality considering it was a kit lens. The Konica 40/1.8 is also very sharp stopped down to 2.8 and really compact. The OM 50/1.8 is very VERY sharp (especially the later one with "made in Japan" on the front) and if you get an OM 50/1.4 you get terrific bokeh as well but I have heard the best samples of the 50/1.4 are those with serial number over 1 million. I can't say if that's true but i have seen samples of the 50/1.4 that were pretty soft.

I think my favorite is the Super Takumar 50/1.4. It's not THE sharpest but still very sharp. I think it has nice smooth bokeh and the build quality is a step up from other lenses in the same price range. The Konica 50/1.4 is a very close second. I think it's a bit sharper but I prefer the way the Super Takumar renders.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7903617776/" title="Summertime by dixeyk, on Flickr">
7903617776_b557bc6cf7_b.jpg
   ---            
"1024" height="680" alt="Summertime"></a>
NEX-C3 and Super Takuamr 50/1.4

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7891005088/" title="Dewplets by dixeyk, on Flickr">
7891005088_5a7d8c3fbb_b.jpg
   ---            
"1024" height="680" alt="Dewplets"></a>
NEX-C3 and Super Takuamr 50/1.4

BTW, the shots of your daughter are wonderful...if that's what you can do with a lens you think is ho hum then I can't wait to see what you do with something you like. FWIW the Canon 50/1.4 is also very sharp.

Latest threads

Top Bottom