1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My $399 5n body arrived...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dixeyk, Sep 24, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    It's nice. Coming from a C3 there are a few things I noticed right away. The 5n feels lighter than the C3 did. The larger grip is nice and it feels like it sits in the hand a tiny bit better. The UI is a bit different and I swear the image on the LCD looks bigger but I can't see why that would be as they are the same size. The extra features (like AEL and the ability to attach the Sony EVF) are welcome and I'm happy to have 1080p video. Overall I'm pleased with the upgrade. Now if the battery would just finish charging so I can play with it some more.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Congrats! That's a killer price.

I think you're going to really like the 5N. Once you get the button assignments set you seldom have to dive into the menu system. Be careful if you get the EVF- you may never want to go back to a fixed viewfinder again. ;)

3. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Congrats, thats certainly a good buy for an awesome camera.

4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Cool!

It's inevitable that the 5N is going to be superseded by newer models with better features, but I think the 5N will always have a special spot in photographic history when it won Camera of the Year for 2012. I believe the 5N (although not perfect) was pivotal in bursting the 'mirrorless' door wide open in the marketplace.

The 5N continued to impress me for weeks on end after mine arrived... I couldn't get over the IQ, all the shooting modes, especially the solid metal rangefinder feel. I had it for about a month when I discovered focus peaking! Wondering what it was, I soon found out that is was a gateway into my old wonderful world of MF legacy lenses!!

I can see myself upgrading to a NEX6 a year or two from now, but I'll always be endeared to the 5N as THE camera that brought back my passion and interest in photography.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Gotta love that!

6. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Oly people are all over themselves as DxO just rated the EM-5 sensor (Sony chip, by the way) "almost as good as NEX". Since when being the next best thing has become the goal ??...
    Personally I find the 5N, compared to the GX-1, slow, akward and quirky, really a couple of notches below in terms of shooting experience. It's a camera I wouldn't look at twice if it weren't for the IQ and focus peaking. But those two aspects make it a winner. I so, so hope the 6 improves on AF speed a bit, for me the 5N is on the verge of not usable in that area... As a manual focus machine though, it just can't be beat.

7. pictogramax

pictogramax TalkEmount Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Congratulations, dixeyk! Do you plan to get the EVF also?
    I guess it's a nice addition for us manual focusing lovers:)

8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Since I started with a C3 I really hadn't thought about it before but now that I have a 5n I can see picking one up if I find one at a good price.

9. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I think that's they key. My C3 wasn't all that useful as a point and go AF camera and my GX1 is much nicer in that regard, in fact any m43 camera in that regard was probably better with the possible exception of the E-P1. I see the NEX and GX1 as being good at different things. They each excel where the other does not. I like the GX1 and m43 (great lenses) but I also like NEX and what it offers. It's a significantly different experience. I suppose I see my 5n and Pen-F 40/1.4 as about as close to owning something like an M8 as I will ever get (well...I suppose someday I might spring for a 40/2 Summicron-C).

10. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
  11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I wonder if he's using stock Sony batteries or some aftermarket battery? This is the first issue like this I've heard of in 10 months of 5N ownership. Once, maybe. But twice? Same guy? Something's not right here.

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Other than the video overheat issue their have not been too many reported issues.

13. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Why even bring Olympus in to this thread? What does the DxO sensor rating have to do with Kevin's new 5N?

14. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Me with 5n

image from here

Get it? Happy as a clam...then it dawned on me I had probably explain for anyone not familiar with this particular NW creature...that's a Goeduck clam not a severed elephants trunk.

15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Funny shot, the clam is bigger than your camera. ;)

16. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Phew, I thought it might be some other part of an elephant's anatomy :)

17. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Do a Google image search on this clam and it gets way worse...

18. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Yep...that's a rather small goeduck

19. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    When you say, 'you with your new 5n'... did you mean that's your hand, or you took the picture? Because if it's both, I'm mighty interested on your shooting technique! :D

20. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    It's neither, just a stock photo of a geoduck...it was meant to represent being "happy as a clam" but clearly it failed on that account...although I DO have a a huge double jointed arm growing out between my should blades making a shot like that very doable... ;)