My 1st contribution

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Ray Vardy, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Ray Vardy

Ray Vardy TalkEmount Regular

Ok so here is my original photo

<a href="" title="DSC00592 by Ray_Vardy, on Flickr"> 7349413962_1ca57675f1. "500" height="281" alt="DSC00592"></a>

And as edited in filterstorm4 using the preset 'enhanced'

<a href="" title="DSC00592 by Ray_Vardy, on Flickr"> 7164222985_8307717b78. "500" height="281" alt="DSC00592"></a>

Go easy on me! :)
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I prefer the edited version. Nice layering (I actually quite like this technique) and composition (which is enhanced by the layer, the composition and effect compliment each other nicely), The edited version makes the whole image pop out. Very nice 1st contribution Ray, Thanks for sharing.
  3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    +1 ^ What he said

Just a thought... I would've liked to have seen this same composition but with the camera was just a tad higher - so that the rock outline in the foreground would've cleared the foot of the mountain range in the background. I have a feeling that an undisturbed horizon line might give this perspective a little bit more flow.
  4. Bolampau

Bolampau TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Hi Ray,
    your edited version is much better as it gives more 'punch'. Agree with Dioptrick that a slightly higher viewpoint would help though. Good shot though!
  5. Ray Vardy

Ray Vardy TalkEmount Regular

Thanks all, Dioptrick, yes I see that now, thank you, I'll add that to my list of things to think about a little more in future.
  6. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Agree with most of the comments and appreciate anyone willing to be open for comments. The sky is clearly the point of attention, so 2/3 sky, 1/3 landscape as a rule. Would like to have seen this with everything in focus for comparison.
    The distant mountains would have looked closer with more telephoto compression. Filters that make clouds darker can often be over done.
  7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Ya like the second one a bit better even if the image as a whole does nothing for me.