Much happier with a new Mac...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WT21, Jul 16, 2016.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Follow up from my post about struggling around an upgrade. I had an old 2009 13" MacBook Pro w/8GB RAM and tons of internal storage.

Long story short, I got a well priced, used 2014 15" MBP, quad core, 16GB RAM, and I can say this -- it has really made picture processing do-able again.

So, if you are on the fence and in a similar situation to me -- I'd say "go for it!" in terms of speed and happiness with post-production.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    I remember shooting JPEG for most things just because the processing lag on a 18MP RAW file used to be a significant hassle. Now processing and storage with 24MP are pretty much a non-issue. (100% views can still take their sweet time to render sometimes - I imagine that will cease to be a nuisance after the next update.)
    I set aside $30 a month so after 4 years, I have an ample budget for the next machine. (I've gone 6 and 7 years between hardware updates in the past but IME that's a little too long...)
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Yeah, I went 6 years between upgrades before buying my current MBP, and my old one was really wheezing at the end.
  4. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Well, I'm at that point now. I have a 2010 vintage iMac, but it really struggles with the 36mp files from A7r in LR and also ON1 plug-ins. Too many beach balls!

Thinking of getting a 15" MBP coupled with a 27" IPS 4K monitor. I already have a 4TB USB (3) LaCie external drive, where I store all my photos, and plan on a second, portable external drive like the LaCie 4TB mini-portable HD. I keep all my applications on the internal HD (my iMac has a 256GB SSD).

At this time, I guess I need to wait and see what Apple drops on us shortly, the 2016 MBP are rumored to have greatly improved graphics capabilities, which sounds like something I would benefit from. Otherwise I was thinking of a refurbished 2015 15" MBP 2.5GHz with 512 GB SSD. I understand with the 2015 models you need the 15" MBP (not 13") in order to get the better graphics chip to run a 4K monitor (or am I wrong on this?)

For a monitor, the discontinued (I think) Viewsonic VP2780-4K or a Dell P2715Q 27" both seem suitable. On the specs, the Viewsonic might be slightly better, but maybe not $150 better than the Dell.

Anyone have any experience with either monitor?

5. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I like the 15" for the quad core and higher RAM, but I could only afford one used. But quad core really helps in important, thumbnails, outputting, etc.
  6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Imac 27" Retinas here. Never an issue, but I have only had the A7RII for a couple of weeks... everything else flies through.
  7. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    A powerful fake Mackintosh here, i5 last gen 32gig ram dual SSD drives one for lightroom file (previews) 4 and 2 Tb hd for photos and music respectively reasonable graphics card and 2 4k screens. Thing is great till I decide to do a 50+ image composite then get the ball of death, my daughter has a Mini with 16 gig of ram i5 SSD and 2 tb hard drive was/is the older server model. With her small camera (she's 4) it works brilliantly but she is wanting a bigger camera so we will probably get her a Nex7 as they are quite well priced and it can share batteries with mine. I am hoping I can use it as an excuse to build a Skylake i7 64 gig ram build.
    • Wow Wow x 1
  8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    When I was 4, I had a stuff animal and plastic blocks! :D
    • Funny Funny x 2