Much happier with a new Mac...

WT21

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Follow up from my post about struggling around an upgrade. I had an old 2009 13" MacBook Pro w/8GB RAM and tons of internal storage.

Long story short, I got a well priced, used 2014 15" MBP, quad core, 16GB RAM, and I can say this -- it has really made picture processing do-able again.

So, if you are on the fence and in a similar situation to me -- I'd say "go for it!" in terms of speed and happiness with post-production.

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
I remember shooting JPEG for most things just because the processing lag on a 18MP RAW file used to be a significant hassle. Now processing and storage with 24MP are pretty much a non-issue. (100% views can still take their sweet time to render sometimes - I imagine that will cease to be a nuisance after the next update.)
I set aside $30 a month so after 4 years, I have an ample budget for the next machine. (I've gone 6 and 7 years between hardware updates in the past but IME that's a little too long...)

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
Well, I'm at that point now. I have a 2010 vintage iMac, but it really struggles with the 36mp files from A7r in LR and also ON1 plug-ins. Too many beach balls!

Thinking of getting a 15" MBP coupled with a 27" IPS 4K monitor. I already have a 4TB USB (3) LaCie external drive, where I store all my photos, and plan on a second, portable external drive like the LaCie 4TB mini-portable HD. I keep all my applications on the internal HD (my iMac has a 256GB SSD).

At this time, I guess I need to wait and see what Apple drops on us shortly, the 2016 MBP are rumored to have greatly improved graphics capabilities, which sounds like something I would benefit from. Otherwise I was thinking of a refurbished 2015 15" MBP 2.5GHz with 512 GB SSD. I understand with the 2015 models you need the 15" MBP (not 13") in order to get the better graphics chip to run a 4K monitor (or am I wrong on this?)

For a monitor, the discontinued (I think) Viewsonic VP2780-4K or a Dell P2715Q 27" both seem suitable. On the specs, the Viewsonic might be slightly better, but maybe not $150 better than the Dell.

Anyone have any experience with either monitor?

TIA

WT21

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I like the 15" for the quad core and higher RAM, but I could only afford one used. But quad core really helps in important, thumbnails, outputting, etc.

Alex66

TalkEmount Regular
A powerful fake Mackintosh here, i5 last gen 32gig ram dual SSD drives one for lightroom file (previews) 4 and 2 Tb hd for photos and music respectively reasonable graphics card and 2 4k screens. Thing is great till I decide to do a 50+ image composite then get the ball of death, my daughter has a Mini with 16 gig of ram i5 SSD and 2 tb hard drive was/is the older server model. With her small camera (she's 4) it works brilliantly but she is wanting a bigger camera so we will probably get her a Nex7 as they are quite well priced and it can share batteries with mine. I am hoping I can use it as an excuse to build a Skylake i7 64 gig ram build.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
A powerful fake Mackintosh here, i5 last gen 32gig ram dual SSD drives one for lightroom file (previews) 4 and 2 Tb hd for photos and music respectively reasonable graphics card and 2 4k screens. Thing is great till I decide to do a 50+ image composite then get the ball of death, my daughter has a Mini with 16 gig of ram i5 SSD and 2 tb hard drive was/is the older server model. With her small camera (she's 4) it works brilliantly but she is wanting a bigger camera so we will probably get her a Nex7 as they are quite well priced and it can share batteries with mine. I am hoping I can use it as an excuse to build a Skylake i7 64 gig ram build.
When I was 4, I had a stuff animal and plastic blocks! :D

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom