Moving questions

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by quezra, Aug 9, 2013.

1. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    So I'm finally going to be packing up and leaving Singapore to go to the UK for at least 3 years, and my dry cabinet and half dozen lenses can't all come with me (big cry). Does anyone know what would be the best way to shift as many lenses over without using a freight service?

I have trimmed my collection a lot already and I'm now left with what you see in my sig (my last 35/2 I got from Ebay came with a nice little spot of fungus so I returned it). If you were to go with just 3 lenses (what can currently fit in my camera bag), which would you pick?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Tough decision for sure...

Especially since you have some nice piece of glass in your collection. Can it only be three?
    The only one from there I could see getting rid of would be the FD 70-210 only because the SEL18-200 serves this purpose. The others are essential IMO, especially if you want to have AF lenses just in case in combination with MF (eg. SEL50 f/1.8 and FL 55 f/1.2)

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I'd take the 35, the 19, and whichever of your legacy lenses you use the most.

4. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Buy a bigger bag. :p

I would take the SEL 18-200, the SEL 35 and The FL 85 1.8.

One way to choose would be to take take the most expensive/rare lenses that you know you will want to replace.

5. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Heh, yeah the bigger bag option should be the easiest but I'm not sure about airline rules about second carry-ons if it is camera gear. The neat thing about my current small bag is that no airline has ever given me crap for it, even with it + laptop bag + roller, but I suspect it's at the limit of acceptable, being smaller than a lady's handbag. I've got silver status with the airline I'm going on but that only appears to give you bonus check-in luggage.

Honestly I'm thinking of selling the long zooms because I think if I do want a zoom again I can live with the much cheaper 55-210. The 19 and 35 are so small they can count as one lens against the 18-200 anyway. I'm loath to give up my FL lenses but I understand the second hand market is much better in the UK.

That leaves the dilemma of the 50 vs 55. I honestly had no intention of keeping the SEL50 after the 35 came out, but here I am. It's taken some really amazing shots I now feel I'll miss it. I may have to get a really slightly larger bag.

6. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I'd get a bigger camera bag :)

Tough call for only three. And being gone for 3 years! That's a long time to be without the other lenses.

If you really have to choose - I'd take the 18-200 just to have overall coverage, plus your two favorite primes.

7. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Airline rules are usually one carry-on, plus one "personal item". I took a laptop backpack and a camera backpack as my two items. My camera bag held the 5n, Sigma 19/30, SEL50, SEL55-210, CV12.

8. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Yeah but I'm going to be going with laptop + roller + camera bag which is already stretching it, especially if I get even a standard sized camera bag which will be bigger than the laptop bag... My 1.5-year-old is coming along on a child seat (she's much too active to go without a seat, plus I'm not the one paying), I wonder if I can claim it's her bag :D

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Worth a shot. You're paying for a seat for her, as a passenger she's entitled to carry on luggage just like all the other paying customers. Probably should check with the airline though, I'm not a ticket agent and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night either. ;)

10. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Just out of curiosity, which camera bag do you have? Perhaps hang the camera with a lens attached on your neck and gain 1 more lens space in the bag?

11. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    My bag is this tiny little wonder. It's very small, can practically be worn on the belt (though I don't) and is really made for a DSLR+1 spare prime or flash. But I could fit the NEX with 2 additional lenses including superzooms quite easily in it (I often go out with 2 lenses + my Nexus 7 in it!). I love how small it is but I have to admit I might have to upsize a bit. I'm actually thinking of a camera bag that can fit a 13" laptop might be an interesting compromise, if I stick my usual laptop bag into a suitcase, since I'll need that for normal travel.

12. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'm suprised you can fit the body + 3 lenses in this bag
    Would you think my idea could work?

Here's a suggestion on a very nice bag that can also carry a laptop in case you're thinking of upgrading:
    Retrospective® 7 (Pinestone)

13. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Sometimes I use non-camera bag to carry my NEX-7 and use pouches to carry extra lenses either inside the bag or outside with a clip. That's the SEL 55-210 next to the pouches. The larger one would fit the SEL 18-200 no problem and that may allow you to carry an extra two lenses in that bag of yours while clipping the pouch to the outside of the bag or your belt. These lens pouches are not very expensive.

i-Fm3bDz9-1200x1200.