1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Moving from an F3 to a 7...now what?!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by bmg123, Mar 29, 2013.

1. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    So, in this past week I have been very lucky to gain a NEX-7, upgrading all the way from my NEX-F3 (My first interchangeable lens camera). I can therefore say I'm pretty much sorted for a decent compact, and so I'd like your opinion on a few things:

1- Which lens should be my next? I already have the 18-55 and the 16mm ones, and I'd really like some sort of telephoto or perhaps macro lens.

2- What shotgun mic should I consider? There seems to be varying opinions about many mics, so if anyone has good personal experience, please share!

3- Any other equipment you might suggest investing in; a time-lapse controller for instance is something I'd like to get at some point.

And here's a few shots I took this morning when out in the garden...

8599213443_9d77e3fb2b_c.

8600310140_124e0e9c55_c.

Attached Files:

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Congrats. Still pleased and digging the F3.

As to lens choices, it really depends on what you want. I have a couple of zoom lenses that include a Macro function and get me as close as I desire. There are some more intense Macro's, but I don't really need anything closer.

DSC01762smallcrop.JPG

As for zooms, the E-Mounts are nice, but pretty pricey. However there are some great 150 and up legacy zooms. My current longest reaching lens is 150mm, plus a multiplier, which gets me to 300mm. The issue you start having is that the camera has no internal stabilization, depending on the lens for that. You need either a really steady hand, or a tripod for shooting these lengths.

As to mics, I don't really shoot a lot of video on my camera, we have a nice video recorder for that.

Attached Files:

3. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Very cool, I love the partial colour shot of the bench.....Yours is cool too Dave. I don't know about Macro or Stereo mics though, :)