Moving from an F3 to a 7...now what?!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by bmg123, Mar 29, 2013.

1. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    So, in this past week I have been very lucky to gain a NEX-7, upgrading all the way from my NEX-F3 (My first interchangeable lens camera). I can therefore say I'm pretty much sorted for a decent compact, and so I'd like your opinion on a few things:

1- Which lens should be my next? I already have the 18-55 and the 16mm ones, and I'd really like some sort of telephoto or perhaps macro lens.

2- What shotgun mic should I consider? There seems to be varying opinions about many mics, so if anyone has good personal experience, please share!

3- Any other equipment you might suggest investing in; a time-lapse controller for instance is something I'd like to get at some point.

And here's a few shots I took this morning when out in the garden...

8599213443_9d77e3fb2b_c.

8600310140_124e0e9c55_c.

View attachment 32591

Attached Files:

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Congrats. Still pleased and digging the F3.

As to lens choices, it really depends on what you want. I have a couple of zoom lenses that include a Macro function and get me as close as I desire. There are some more intense Macro's, but I don't really need anything closer.

DSC01762smallcrop.JPG

As for zooms, the E-Mounts are nice, but pretty pricey. However there are some great 150 and up legacy zooms. My current longest reaching lens is 150mm, plus a multiplier, which gets me to 300mm. The issue you start having is that the camera has no internal stabilization, depending on the lens for that. You need either a really steady hand, or a tripod for shooting these lengths.

As to mics, I don't really shoot a lot of video on my camera, we have a nice video recorder for that.

Attached Files:

3. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Very cool, I love the partial colour shot of the bench.....Yours is cool too Dave. I don't know about Macro or Stereo mics though, :)