1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Moved to the a6000 from the Panasonic GX7: my quick review.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by scrowley91, Aug 11, 2014.

1. scrowley91

scrowley91 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    New Jersey
    Sean Crowley
    I recently sold my Micro Four-Thirds kit, consisting of a Panasonic GX7, Panasonic 14-42mm II, and Olympus 25mm f1.8, and moved to a Sony a6000 and 35mm f1.8 OSS. (and some legacy glass)

I figured I’d write up a little piece talking about my reasons for switching and my views on both cameras, since I’m sure there’s someone else out there deciding between the two systems as well.

The GX7, first off, was brilliant. It’s a wonderfully capable camera, and for photo work, was just about all I’d ever need or want. The photo quality was superb, certainly better than that of the Canon 7D that I’d used previously. (not dissimilar to the 5D mkIII honestly…) The great depth of field offered by the smaller sensor was absolutely fantastic, and is by far the thing I’ll miss the most. It never had issues getting sufficiently shallow depth of field either, particularly with the Olympus 25mm f1.8. (one of the best lenses I've ever used) The silent shutter was also very nice for street photography.

The single point auto-focus was probably a tad faster than the a6000, but I think this was more a factor of the lens having less glass to move around than the actual focusing system. Neither camera could ever be called slow, and both are dead accurate. The continuous focus, however, is, by miles, the territory of the a6000. Despite it’s larger sensor and slower focusing lenses, it LOVES tracking targets. Even in video mode, the camera’s autofocus can be trusted; that’s not something I’d ever thought I’d say. (at least not about a Super35 sized sensor)

Overall image quality is phenomenal on both cameras. They both blew the 7D out of the water; more than enough for anyone. Low-light is very good on both as well, though the a6000 does get a slight edge, it’s higher MP count means more pixel-level blur, evident at low-shutter speeds. (and no IBIS either)

Video, however, is the main item that I want to discuss; because it’s why I switched. To put it simply, the GX7 is nearly perfect as a video camera: it has focus peaking, no moire, no aliasing, good quality… but the colours… Panasonic’s jpeg processing is abysmal. It’s unforgivable. It shouldn't make my girlfriend look like John Boehner. (http://i.imgur.com/S1yAC7S.jpg) The oranges and greens are terrible; nauseating even. They can’t be corrected easily in post either. Getting a usable, decent looking shot requires a good amount of time in the colour corrector, and doesn't seem to carry over to the next shot. (I spent quite a lot of time trying to fix this)

On the other hand , the a6000’s colours are wonderful, reminiscent of Canon’s C100/300 or even Arri. It matches perfectly with the FS700, a camera more than 10 times it’s price. The dynamic range is also amazing in video, noticeably better than the GX7.

Panasonic really needs to sort out their colours, they still don’t have a pleasing image in the GH4, (which I’ve spent a considerable time with as well) it’s sharp/crisp, but there's still something slightly “off” about the colours, something I can’t seem to fix consistently. If Olympus had a camera with proper focus peaking, a half decent codec, and 5 axis IBIS in their camera, (all of which could be done to the EM-5 NOW via software) I would have stayed with M4/3. The lenses and size of the system are wonderful. However, Sony has shown that they really care about the quality of the image they produce, as well as the controls for it. The a7s is, other than the rolling shutter, just about everything I want in a camera. Amazing 1080p, low light, colours, dynamic range, s-log, controls, body; and the ability to do 4k if needed.

Now if they would just do an a7s-like APS-C camera with the a6000’s focusing and low rolling shutter they'd have the perfect camera.

Pro's:
    WAY better video, partly because the GX7's colours were so bad, partly because the a6000 is just great
    Video autofocus!
    More megapixels. (would sacrifice for even more low light though)
    Much better focus tracking.
    Better viewfinder.
    Better DR.
    Better focus peaking. (more sensitive, better colour options)
    Better overall feel.
    USB charging.
    APS-C is nicer for adapting legacy glass.
    Potential for more shallow DOF.

Cons:
    No button to turn off main screen. (AFAIK)
    Worse screen.
    No touch screen.
    Barely slower single point AF. (it seems, not sure)
    Sony's 35mm f1.8 OSS just isn't as good as the Olympus 25mm f1.8.
    More shallow DOF.
    No IBIS.

• Like Like x 5
  2. yakky

yakky TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Thanks for the review. I feel the same way about Panasonic colors. People that shoot landscapes don't seem to mind but for people the colors are just off.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Glad you are here.

I have only owned Sony mirrorless products so I don't have any comment to add on the Panasonic.

4. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Agreed. I've said it elsewhere: it seems to me an almost no-brainer for Sony to simply put the A6000's sensor and advanced hybrid AF into the A7's body with its controls. Call it the A7000... and a killer top-of-the-line APS-C camera - the mythical true NEX-7 successor - could easily be born.

5. scrowley91

scrowley91 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    New Jersey
    Sean Crowley
    Agreed, though I'd really like them to drop the megapixel count, 24.3 is way higher than almost anyone needs; and those who do should probobly just get an a7R. I'd much rather have 16mp and better low-light. That said the a6000 really is one heck of a camera!

• Like Like x 1
  6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Just ran a similar route coming to Sony from Oly. While I do miss the Oly jpegs, The A6000 is so close that I forget about it. I also just love the feel of the NEX-6, and have that as a second body.

But... in looking for that APS-C "perfect" body, I landed on the A77ii. I know it is a different animal, but it is in itself, stellar. I find I actually MISS the DSLR bulk sometimes, and the A77ii has a great 16-50 2.8 kit zoom to add to the weight! I went this route because in my own little brain, I've convinced myself that Sony hasn't worked out its A7 direction yet. Three models in just a few months, pushed me away until they get that line settled in. The A77 on the other hand, has a following, and the A77ii specs nicely to replace it.

I'm anxious to see what pops up at Photokina in the Sony booth.

• Like Like x 1
  7. thepinched

thepinched New to TalkEmount

Aug 13, 2014
    i'm wrestling with moving to the a6000 from the em10. the oly jpegs look digital to my eye...how do the a6000 photos look

8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    If I had to find a complaint? MAYBE a bit over sharpened. But I shoot smalls for print and web, it isn't a real issue. Just tweak it down a bit, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

9. thepinched

thepinched New to TalkEmount

Aug 13, 2014
    I've been reading that that CAF is good in good to higher light. Do you have any first hand experience...