1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

More photo decisions...

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by dbmiller, Jun 10, 2018.

1. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I need help again decided which image is best. I appreciate all comments from the members of the forum. Your comments in the past have been very helpful.

First choice is between two images of the Curtis Island Lighthouse in Camden, Maine. The first pic comes from the 55/1.8, and I had to back up from the shore line to get all of Curtis Island in the picture. The second pic comes from the 24-240, and was shot from the shoreline at 44mm.

18-06-08 Curtis Lighthouse 0113. 18-06-08 Curtis Lighthouse 0117.

The second choice is from three pictures of Pemaquid Point Light in Bristol, Maine. The first pic was shot hand held over another photographer's shoulder as she was waiting for the wind to die down (Which is never did). After she left, I got a the classic angle, and could set up my tripod. Pic #2 is with an ND filter trying to get the reflection to even out. And pic #3 is the best I could get with no ND filter and the least amount of wind.

18-06-09 Pemaquid Point Lighthouse 0177. 18-06-09 Pemaquid Point Lighthouse 0189. 18-06-09 Pemaquid Point Lighthouse 0204.

• Wow Wow x 1
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    From the first choice, I prefer the 2nd image (without the tree branches). Looks overall cleaner to me :) 

From ththe second choice, sorry but none does it for me with their blurry reflection :(  Composition wise, I prefer no.3

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    First choice: I prefer #1, the second is too empty for me. From the second series I again prefer #1 because I like the reflections best; long-exposure blur doesn't add anything here IMHO and the first one looks most natural to me. #1 also has a bit warmer tone, which I prefer too.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I'm in agreement with Ad on both choices. I wanted to add that the branches in #1 frame the island nicely imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    I'm not as qualified as others to comment but I prefer the first photo in group one. As to the second group, I love lighthouses so I just enjoy the composition.

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I feel as Ad and Chris.
    In addition, the first set, I found the golden hour color and contrast to be more desirable than the slightly bluer and brighter image of the 2nd. Perhaps toning down the blue slider would balance it and in turn darken the exposure. But from a composition perspective, the 2nd is too stark with the clear sky, and water compounding below. It expresses a feeling of isolation. If that's the goal, it's achieved.

As for the 2nd set of images. The aligned lighthouse of the 2nd and 3rd image may be classic, but the attached house quarters unbalances the composition. Thus the first image I find more pleasing. And the colors and reflection I found to be best. 3rd image comes in second, only because of the coloration. 2nd image's blurred reflection didn't do it for me, more distraction than attraction.

And besides...the seagull is gone! :D 

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I'm with Ad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
  9. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Thanks all for the input.

Set #1: I too, like the leaves framing the island in the first pic, but I can see how they might be distracting to others. It was one of the reasons I asked for opinions, since I could go either way, and I really didn't want to spend a lot more time on both images if one was a clear cut better choice. The second one does indeed imply a greater sense of isolation, and I will no doubt keep both, but will only do more work on the other if time permits. I initially set both the the same white balance (Shade, to match the golden hour), but the second one was quite a few minutes later as we were losing the sun, and with my colorblindness, I knew I wouldn't be able to get them to match, no matter how hard I tried. I may spend a little more time on it, but will likely go with the first one.

Set #2: I was very torn on these. I wanted a still water, but the wind just wouldn't cooperate. When I was able to use the better location after the other photographer left, I didn't reassess the overall image. I agree that with the house cut off more, it looks unbalanced. I should have switched to the 28mm and shot landscape mode, but there were other visitors off to the left that may or may not have been in the shot. Hindsight.

So while I hate the rock in the middle of the tide pool in the first image, I do like the two gulls in the first pic, that were gone by the time I was doing the tripod shots.

I may have to go through all my shots, load them into PS layers, and see if I can smooth out the reflection using bits and pieces of various images. But that may turn out to be as bad as the long exposure blurs :(  I think I can blend the layers using either mean, median, or mode. Mean should give the blur, median is unknown, and I hope there's enough data points for mode to do what I want.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.